St Patrick’s Day - why do so many non-Irish care?

tarapoa

19 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I think it’s a shame nobody gives a f**k about St Andrews day yet everyone goes wild for St Patrick. I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head what date St Andrews day is.

We don’t have a day that is a proper celebration of Scottish culture. Burns night doesn’t go far enough. St Andrews day should be a celebration of Scottishness, meaning we all go out and get absolutely burst on the Tennents and single malt whiskies whilst tucking into the finest Scottish cuisine.

We have better whisky than Ireland, better lager and better food as well. The massive celebration of St Patrick in Scotland is a farce. What are we playing at?

You're making me feel better about the disparity already. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Saint Ninian set up the first Christian site in the country as well, at Whithorn IIRC. 

St Mungo was also from here. Probably got bullied for his name’s similarity to another word.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

St Mungo was also from here. Probably got bullied for his name’s similarity to another word.

His original name was Kentigern, iirc. Also, his mum, St Thenog (known better as St Enoch) lived here (as did St Serf, with whom they both lived, I think).

So aye, hunners o scottish saints lived here.

But aye, it's americanised nonsense. I tend to steer clear.

5 hours ago, drs said:

This. Its nothing more than a PR created pile of toot.

Anyone celebrating the day of any  "Saint", apart from Roger Moore, really needs to have a word with themselves.

You didn't rate Ian Ogilvy?

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I think it’s a shame nobody gives a f**k about St Andrews day yet everyone goes wild for St Patrick. I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head what date St Andrews day is.

We don’t have a day that is a proper celebration of Scottish culture. Burns night doesn’t go far enough. St Andrews day should be a celebration of Scottishness, meaning we all go out and get absolutely burst on the Tennents and single malt whiskies whilst tucking into the finest Scottish cuisine.

We have better whisky than Ireland, better lager and better food as well. The massive celebration of St Patrick in Scotland is a farce. What are we playing at?

Storing up the energy for Independence Day. 

Don’t recall any celebrations whatsoever visiting family and friends in Belfast/Antrim as a youngster, but times have changed. It was always seen as ‘their day out’. Had a cracking day out today in Ballyclare with some great food, music and a few beers, what’s not to like!? [emoji846]

7 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Otherwise you would expect the North to have its own patron, which it doesn't to my knowledge.

TFS's patron saint is Saint Bunfield. She is also the patron saint of cheddar cheese and pineapple on a stick.

5 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

You've taken that way too far

Thanks to p*sh the likes of slaying dragons and driving snakes away, I remember my mind being blown when I realised that saints were actually real people.

That said, this was at a time when (on a school trip to Dunfermline Abbey) I thought that Queen Margaret being canonised meant she was executed by a somewhat over exuberant firing squad. 

10 hours ago, The OP said:

Laughed out loud irl at this.  

9 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

You didn't rate Ian Ogilvy?

Nice trousers but not enough eyebrow action.

Was in Dublin yesterday and the city centre was absolute chaos. They all get fairly excited for the occasion and make some effort. That said, half the accents heard were American.

The flight back to Glasgow was full of Scots (myself not included) decked head to toe in green, Guinness hats and tatty memorabilia of some sort.

58 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Was in Dublin yesterday and the city centre was absolute chaos. They all get fairly excited for the occasion and make some effort. That said, half the accents heard were American.

The flight back to Glasgow was full of Scots (myself not included) decked head to toe in green, Guinness hats and tatty memorabilia of some sort.

I was in Dublin for St Patrick's Day a while back and spotted an old drunken tramp weaving towards me, surrounded by some men in suits. Turned out to be Charlie Haughey, the Taoiseach.

It's rare that one meets an Irish person who doesn't seem to want to be congratulated for it.

I've always got the impression that the reason St Patrick's Day is celebrated here is the reasonable conclusion to when the Irish skill of self-promotion meets the classically Scottish inferiority complex.

11 hours ago, velo army said:

His original name was Kentigern, iirc. Also, his mum, St Thenog (known better as St Enoch) lived here (as did St Serf, with whom they both lived, I think).

So aye, hunners o scottish saints lived here.

But aye, it's americanised nonsense. I tend to steer clear.

And they all became Saints, what are the chances? Was there any other less successful co-dwellers? You would never go to the reunions.

It's rare that one meets an Irish person who doesn't seem to want to be congratulated for it.

I have met my fair share of Irish people (mostly in Australia) and this is 100% the case. Irish people completely live up to their stereotype of being gullible, shite talking alcoholics who all clique together where ever they go and think that being Irish is some sort of achievement. I actually liked 90% of the guys and girls I met from there though in fairness.

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

I have met my fair share of Irish people (mostly in Australia) and this is 100% the case. Irish people completely live up to their stereotype of being gullible, shite talking alcoholics who all clique together where ever they go and think that being Irish is some sort of achievement. I actually liked 90% of the guys and girls I met from there though in fairness.

It's almost as if you had some things in common with them. 

Archived