St Patrick’s Day - why do so many non-Irish care?

tarapoa

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

It's almost as if you had some things in common with them. 

"Rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and plenteous in mercy, and repenteth him of the evil". In Isaiah 55:7, the Bible states that repentance brings pardon and forgiveness of sin.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, throbber said:

I have met my fair share of Irish people (mostly in Australia) and this is 100% the case. Irish people completely live up to their stereotype of being gullible, shite talking alcoholics who all clique together where ever they go and think that being Irish is some sort of achievement. I actually liked 90% of the guys and girls I met from there though in fairness.

I actually agree with you for once, although I’d change 90% to about 9%. 

When I was in Krakow last year, there was a pair of middle aged Irish women on the same tour of the salt mines. All one of them kept talking about was how hungover she was and only the Irish get so drunk. I was hoping she’d fall down a mineshaft. 

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Was in Dublin yesterday and the city centre was absolute chaos. They all get fairly excited for the occasion and make some effort. That said, half the accents heard were American.

The flight back to Glasgow was full of Scots (myself not included) decked head to toe in green, Guinness hats and tatty memorabilia of some sort.

Heard it

It's rare that one meets an Irish person who doesn't seem to want to be congratulated for it.

In my experience you can normally neutralise this by subtly inviting them to offer an opinion on the city of Limerick. This generally prompts jokes, stories or invective about how dreadful that place is. These stories may or may not be funny, true or indeed fair but the important thing is that by the end of it they’ve transformed from being generally Irish to being a Dubliner, a Cork man or whatever.

On 17/03/2019 at 18:40, The_Kincardine said:

Nah - it's island-wide.  That's why the union flag has a St Patrick's saltire in it.  There's also an orange lodge in glasgow who hold an annual St Patrick's day celebration.

I thought the Reformation made the veneration of saints illegal in Scotland.  I only know this because your quiz question made me read up on the Reformation.

13 hours ago, The DA said:

I thought the Reformation made the veneration of saints illegal in Scotland.  I only know this because your quiz question made me read up on the Reformation.

I'm pleased to see that my missionary work is bearing some fruit ;)

The reformation principle was to regard veneration of/intercession through the saints as idolatrous.  There doesn't seem to have been any effort to rename buildings such as St Mungo's in Glasgow or St Giles in Edinburgh.  It also seemed OK to name new churches after Protestanty Saints like Andrew or Margaret of Scotland as opposed to the Catholicy saints  like Thomas Aquinas or Ignatius Loyola.  The theological point is clear.  The continuing interest in a handful of saints is less so.

As for a lodge in Glasgow marking St Patrick's day?  It's a bit of nonsense, really.  I suspect the reasoning is along the lines of: The Grand Lodge of Ireland is an island-wide organisation and Patrick is an island-wide saint so let's not allow 'them' to claim him exclusively.

On 18/03/2019 at 10:29, Sergeant Wilson said:

"Rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and plenteous in mercy, and repenteth him of the evil". In Isaiah 55:7, the Bible states that repentance brings pardon and forgiveness of sin.

...and I will strike upon thee with grrreeeattt vengance and fuuuuuurious anger.....

Archived