St Patrick’s Day - why do so many non-Irish care?

tarapoa

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's just an old tradition.

This banner first appeared over 70 years ago in 1948. There's one every year in the New York parade.

Bit different having the President of Sinn Fein there though. In 2019. Bit funny you get Scottish Americans, Irish Americans, but no English Americans. Suppose they just run the place and keep their heads down. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bit different having the President of Sinn Fein there though.

Maybe.

Everyone likes their 'traditions' in Northern Ireland though, so I'm sure that there'll be no overreaction from anyone.

28 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

As far as I know his status as patron saint pre-dates the current political split on the island. Otherwise you would expect the North to have its own patron, which it doesn't to my knowledge.

Patron saints are a bit daft mind. England, Georgia, Palestine and Portugal all have St George, who's the foreign one out of that lot?

I went to see the place where St George killed the dragon. Now a monastery just outside Tarragona IIRC.  

35 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Some right roasters cutting about central Glasgow celebrating it.

My favourite ever was in Bradford. The city has a big Asian community, many of whom have deviated from the path of Islam. Being in a pub in England full of Pakistani origin alkies, celebrating an Irish Saint in ginger beards and green top hats was a bit surreal.

As far as I know his status as patron saint pre-dates the current political split on the island. Otherwise you would expect the North to have its own patron, which it doesn't to my knowledge.

Protestants aren’t supposed to be into idolatrous worship of saints but given the way they parade icons of King Billy about on his feast day it’s fair to say that he’s fulfilling that role

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Patron saints are a bit daft mind. England, Georgia, Palestine and Portugal all have St George, who's the foreign one out of that lot?

Cheers, every day is a school day on here! Aye its all a bit strange really I think St Guinoch is the only Saint actually to live in Scotland maybe we should get him in as our Saint and his day is the 13th April which is better than 30th November.

I think it’s a shame nobody gives a f**k about St Andrews day yet everyone goes wild for St Patrick. I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head what date St Andrews day is.

We don’t have a day that is a proper celebration of Scottish culture. Burns night doesn’t go far enough. St Andrews day should be a celebration of Scottishness, meaning we all go out and get absolutely burst on the Tennents and single malt whiskies whilst tucking into the finest Scottish cuisine.

We have better whisky than Ireland, better lager and better food as well. The massive celebration of St Patrick in Scotland is a farce. What are we playing at?

21 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Cheers, every day is a school day on here! Aye its all a bit strange really I think St Guinoch is the only Saint actually to live in Scotland maybe we should get him in as our Saint and his day is the 13th April which is better than 30th November.

St Columba of Iona surely lived here?

Edit - and apparently his day is 9 June. Party time.

Archived