The Quadruple

HibeeJibee

With the League Cup in the bag, 1pt clear atop EPL and into FA Cup SF and CL QF, much talk of whether Manchester City can win a quadruple.

This was done by Celtic in 1966-67 (indeed with the Glasgow Cup it was a quintuple), and domestically in Northern Ireland and Malta when they had silly numbers of cups... but, setting aside Supercups, never yet in one of the modern-day top leagues.

Firstly - do people think they'll do it?

Secondly - does anyone know the closest a club has come to doing it before now?

It's possible in England, France and Portugal - and places like Germany and Spain have had League Cups in times past, while Italy and the Netherlands haven't.

As only two clubs have won a treble it's clearly them. Man United with the CL, EPL and FA Cup followed by Liverpool with the old EC, 1st Div and League Cup. 

Didn’t Liverpool win a treble in 00/01 or 01/02 with the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup?

I don’t think City will do the quadruple but it is very difficult to put a decent argument up against why they couldn’t.

I just reckon they will have another game like tonight in the CL or FA Cup where they won’t get the luck like they did tonight.

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

With the League Cup in the bag, 1pt clear atop EPL and into FA Cup SF and CL QF, much talk of whether Manchester City can win a quadruple.

This was done by Celtic in 1966-67 (indeed with the Glasgow Cup it was a quintuple), and domestically in Northern Ireland and Malta when they had silly numbers of cups... but, setting aside Supercups, never yet in one of the modern-day top leagues.

Firstly - do people think they'll do it?

Secondly - does anyone know the closest a club has come to doing it before now?

It's possible in England, France and Portugal - and places like Germany and Spain have had League Cups in times past, while Italy and the Netherlands haven't.

Think the closest in Germany would have been Munich in 1999. Won the Bundesliga & Liga-Pokal. Lost the Dfb-Pokal on penalties against Werder Bremen, then the CL in injury time against Man Utd. 

The Liga-Pokal was only for the top 5 in the previous seasons BL plus the Dfb-Pokal winner. With the league & cup winners getting byes to the semi-final.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

Surely it only counts of you win your actual league as part of it? 

I can't believe folk are calling the league Cup, FA  up and UEFA "winning the treble". :huh:

Indeed. Winning the league is the number one prize and the cornerstone of everything. It's the difference between 'the' and 'a'.  League plus a cup = the double. Two cups = a double, more often that not referred to as a cup double. 

Surely it only counts of you win your actual league as part of it? 
I can't believe folk are calling the league Cup, FA  up and UEFA "winning the treble". :huh:

I do agree with you. I’d also say it should include the Champions League.

However if you win 3 trophies it is considered a treble no matter what trophies they were.

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Indeed. Winning the league is the number one prize and the cornerstone of everything. It's the difference between 'the' and 'a'.  League plus a cup = the double. Two cups = a double, more often that not referred to as a cup double. 

Exactly this...

League + Association Cup + League Cup + Champions League = "the quadruple"
League + Association Cup + Champions League = "the treble"
League + Association Cup + League Cup = "the domestic treble"
Association Cup + League Cup + continental cup = "the cup treble"

then can add regional cups, supercups, etc.

Can't see anyone stopping City at least winning the domestic treble. In addition to their obvious talents, most things seem to go their way these days, luck, decisions, draws, the elements all successful teams have enjoyed. The stars look like they're alining and I wouldn't really be surprised if they did the lot.

I think they'll win the league for sure, probably FA Cup but I just think they'll come a cropper against someone in Champions League, no real basis or reasoning behind it.

Would be some achievement to be fair.

Eintracht Frankfurt came fairly close to an odd one in 1966-67: they played in both the Fairs Cup (now EL) and the International Football Cup (later Intertoto but a season long tournament of its own back then) and reached SFs of both, also entered the Cup of the Alps and won, plus came within 4pts of lifting the Bundesliga... Unfortunately they'd lost their first tie in the DFB Pokal so a quintuple involving 3 continental tournaments wasn't on.

Barcelona played in both the European Cup and the Fairs Cup in 1959-60 - losing in SFs of the former to Real Madrid (who entered as holder) and winning the latter. They won La Liga but lost in Copa Generallisimo QFs to Athletic Bilbao.

Teams tend to come a cropper quite early in one of the cup tournaments it seems.

In 2013/14 Bayern got quite close, losing in the semi's of the CL to eventual winners Real Madrid. If they won that they would have had the Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal, Club World Cup and Champions League trophies in their cabinet (+UEFA Super Cup).

I probably think the same as most on Man City. Domestic treble is likely, Champions League is maybe a step too far. The game vs Tottenham at the new White Hart Lane in a couple of weeks could be a toughie. 

5 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

The domestic treble yes, but the quadruple no. I am puzzled by the amount of people that seem to think it’s likely. It’s possible, but City haven’t been that good in Europe and mainly go out to the first top side they face. European sides don’t sit off them like the Premier League cannon fodder do. We saw it this season when Lyon took 4 points against them. This was a Lyon side that, contrary to common belief, hasn’t been that great this season and only won 1 (ONE) out of 8 CL games.

They might not face another "European side" in the Champions League. Having said that, I have a feeling Spurs will do them.

Archived