West Region Fixture Update for 23rd March

Kennie

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Kennie said:

I know this decision would upset some people, but I have my reasons for it.

A 30 game league season was always going to cause upsets along the way. I am fast running out of free Saturdays for many re-arranged fixtures. I need to advance this cup by a round to allow me to schedule other outstanding fixtures as most of them will have to become midweek games and I want to avoid sending clubs long distances on a Monday or Wednesday night.

I have already stated on here that I want to schedule these outstanding fixtures, but there is little point to that if I then have to postpone them to allow other games to take there place.

I appreciate Kilbirnie's problems and understand their frustration, but let me point out one thing in my defence. On Saturday 23rd Feb, Kilbirnie were down to play Troon, that game was postponed due to Troon's Cup Tie against Lochee United. 

Now instead of just laying off Kilbirnie, I brought forward their West Cup game against Carluke. Had I not done that then Kilbirnie would have been idle on 23rd Feb, but they would have had a game today, or maybe not, if it was postponed then they would have still been in the same boat as all the other clubs.

It's one thing having a match delayed because Troon are playing Scottish Cup but because Troon are now playing West Cup is going too far lol. League should always take precedence over West Cup. Understand the reasons but juniors just can't get cups over league mentality out their system like it's still the 1950s.  We could always ditch the exciting not  Sectional League cup and get West rounds played early...might not run out of Saturdays then.

A past criticism in the past has been the the WoS Cup has not been given priority. Now that the Fixture Secretary is trying in some way to raise its profile the criticism still comes. Clubs and supporters have to realise they can't have it both ways.
Correct. Every club only sees it from their point of view, Kennie has to look at the bigger picture. At the AGM, most clubs agreed with Kennie's idea to raise the profile of the WoS Cup and that's what he's doing.

Just now, ex-german exile said:
1 hour ago, Chis said:
A past criticism in the past has been the the WoS Cup has not been given priority. Now that the Fixture Secretary is trying in some way to raise its profile the criticism still comes. Clubs and supporters have to realise they can't have it both ways.

Correct. Every club only sees it from their point of view, Kennie has to look at the bigger picture. At the AGM, most clubs agreed with Kennie's idea to raise the profile of the WoS Cup and that's what he's doing.

Not at the expense of a published fixture list which clubs have based their planning on. For the Scottish, yes but not the West.

Cup games will generate more income for the clubs involved rather than many meaningless league games if played on a Saturday but as usual the same old faces finding something to greet about.
Guy has done a brilliant job but it's impossible to please everyone so just get on with as it's night and day from the previous guy in charge of the fixtures

3 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Cup games will generate more income for the clubs involved rather than many meaningless league games if played on a Saturday but as usual the same old faces finding something to greet about.
Guy has done a brilliant job but it's impossible to please everyone so just get on with as it's night and day from the previous guy in charge of the fixtures

Everyone has stated that caveat but I'm sure Kennie is big enough to take criticism amongst the plentiful praise. Also league games are only meaningless to you now as your club are in mid table limbo.

Everyone has stated that caveat but I'm sure Kennie is big enough to take criticism amongst the plentiful praise. Also league games are only meaningless to you now as your club are in mid table limbo.
Clearly missed the point
He does not deserve any criticism whatsoever
He has made his decision and given us all an explanation to why decision was made plus everyone has been given plenty of time to make / change arrangements so move on.

Clearly missed the point

He has made his decision and given us all an explanation to why decision was made plus everyone has been given plenty of time to make / change arrangements so move on.

I don't see you coming up with any bright ideas JB.

Kennie has the baws to come on to p&b and give a rational for his work method.

Yet no officials outwith do the same ( unless under an alias)

Keep up the good work Kennie, you have my vote ma man. [emoji106][emoji122]

Clearly missed the point
Totally agree. Personally​ I'd rather we were still going to Renfrew next week rather than the risk of a call off at Cumbernauld for the third Saturday in a row, however I totally support what Kennie is attempting.

No criticism of the fixtures guy who seems to be doing a good job . Just wondering why teams have to wait a month for another fixture .

Suppose if thats the way the fixtures have worked out not a lot he can do .

On another note , what do these clubs do for money through the door for wages , do players still get paid weekly , even with no game ? etc

No criticism of the fixtures guy who seems to be doing a good job . Just wondering why teams have to wait a month for another fixture .

On another note , what do these clubs do for money through the door for wages , do players still get paid weekly , even with no game ? etc
That's a completely different issue
After next Saturday we don't have a home game for a month and face the same issue but that's just how the fixtures have fallen and no point crying about it as Kennie is trying his best and can't please everyone .

2 hours ago, clash city rocker said:

It's one thing having a match delayed because Troon are playing Scottish Cup but because Troon are now playing West Cup is going too far lol. League should always take precedence over West Cup. Understand the reasons but juniors just can't get cups over league mentality out their system like it's still the 1950s.  We could always ditch the exciting not  Sectional League cup and get West rounds played early...might not run out of Saturdays then.

Definitely my view as well as that in every level of football from youth, amateur, and junior, the Scottish and West, East, and North cups takes precedence and so they should, as they are the most important cups in the domestic season for most teams.

2 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Clearly missed the point

Leaving clubs without a game for a month is something the previous incumbent would do and pretty sure Kennie is himself disappointed it's come to this. 

He took the decision to go with West Cup over league fixtures which has caused this situation....that was always going to lead to some clubs being unhappy. The guy has done an excellent job this season but he is not above criticism.

41 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Definitely my view as well as that in every level of football from youth, amateur, and junior, the Scottish and West, East, and North cups takes precedence and so they should, as they are the most important cups in the domestic season for most teams.

We could just play cups like it's 1899 .

2 minutes ago, clash city rocker said:

We could just play cups like it's 1899 .

Not really sure how cups were played in 1899 and not got a clue why you would say about a time when it was a different era and none of us where living,  As I said at the end of the day since I've been following football, the Scottish Cup, West regional cup, East of Scotland and North of Scotland cups in amateur, Youth and Junior football always took precedence over the league and the other domestic cups.

In these situations on Pie and Bovril, you have to try and be objective and see the post or questions for what they really are and be constructive about it.
I've never known the importance of these cups to diminish in the past 40 years in any of those associations and quite rightly so.

I don't see what the problem is, I'm sure there must be a small minority that thinks different to this as I'm sure every player in those associations from now to the past 40 years always wanted to win the national cup or the regional cup.

The people who have to arrange fixtures are in a hard job, sure some decisions you think they could rearrange but I'm sure they have their reasons for their decisions that sometimes we are not privy to.  Maybe foresight could prevent this problem but whoever has to arrange the fixtures hopefully they will learn from problems of previous seasons and adapt

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I have stated in the past that I am ok with P&B, despite warnings from some quarters that I should stay clear of it.

I have also said in the past that I am quite happy to come on and explain some decisions and reasons behind them. I believe that giving out information is a better way forward than doing nothing and thereby allowing gossip, misinformation and pure guesswork to prevail.

I am happy to discuss relevant issues and will accept criticism as long as it remains respectful and doesn't descend into a personal slanging match or is abusive.

If the criticism is constructive and warranted, then I'll look into it with a view to improving the way I do things.

I believe that that is the best way forward, this is my first season in charge of the fixtures and I never promised that I would get it 100% right, I did promise to make it better and I think so far so good, but there is always room for improvement.

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Not at the expense of a published fixture list which clubs have based their planning on. For the Scottish, yes but not the West.

When the latest part of the fixture list was published it included all games till the end of the season for all clubs and all leagues. However, the clubs were informed at the time that they were all subject to change due to postponements and cup ties. What I did say though was that I would attempt to keep all changes to as few as possible.

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:
Not really sure how cups were played in 1899 and not got a clue why you would say about a time when it was a different era and none of us where living,  As I said at the end of the day since I've been following football, the Scottish Cup, West regional cup, East of Scotland and North of Scotland cups in amateur, Youth and Junior football always took precedence over the league and the other domestic cups.

In these situations on Pie and Bovril, you have to try and be objective and see the post or questions for what they really are and be constructive about it.
I've never known the importance of these cups to diminish in the past 40 years in any of those associations and quite rightly so.

I don't see what the problem is, I'm sure there must be a small minority that thinks different to this as I'm sure every player in those associations from now to the past 40 years always wanted to win the national cup or the regional cup.

The people who have to arrange fixtures are in a hard job, sure some decisions you think they could rearrange but I'm sure they have their reasons for their decisions that sometimes we are not privy to.  Maybe foresight could prevent this problem but whoever has to arrange the fixtures hopefully they will learn from problems of previous seasons and adapt

There were no leagues in 1899. Not so long ago there were 7 cup competitions for Ayrshire clubs. Kilwinning almost won everything in 1999 and their fans were unsure what cup what round what midweek night they are playing who come the end of the season. ...the league was something you played on a blank cup weekend.  Junior is not youth or amateur it has to be more professional. League should always come before cups especially local variations.

3 hours ago, CopaMundials said:

The only clubs that had a month to wait on a game were Petershill and Cumnock. Both of them have artificial surfaces to help beat the weather and exited the cups early.

The situation with Cumnock has been changed so that leaves Petershill and unfortunately I cannot do anything regarding their last games.

Archived