Christchurch Mosque Shootings

1 minute ago, Brother Blades said:

Great lack of “Thoughts & Prayers” on this thread.

None from Trump yet. I suppose he's on the phone to ask the NRA whether he should say if the Mosque goers had been armed it wouldn't have happened.

Absolutely horrible thing to happen, no matter what skin colour you are or religion you practice.  Reading that statement earlier in the thread beggars belief.  

Morbid curiosity I imagine. Had a guy I worked with and used to try and force me to watch some of the stuff he had on his phone which was horrific, beheadings and other similar stuff. Was just when better phones were in. He took glee in watching them and trying to force others to watch, I can understand people looking and being disgusted but he didn't seem phased at all by the stuff.

I also knew a couple of people with these types of video and I think a lot of it was just down to the shock factor of no one having ever really seen this type of thing before.

I remember at about 15 being in a house where a tape titled “banned in America” was on. It was all shootings, beheadings, sharia law punishments etc. I couldn’t take my eyes off it. However a few days later the tape was played again and I couldn’t watch 5 seconds of it. It was as if my brain was forcing me to ignore it.

Horrific.

49 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I'm sure the indigenous population prior to being colonised are happy to hear this.

New Zealand's a strange one in as much as humans only arrived there pretty late in the day and there was no indigenous population...the Polynesian migrants now known as the Maori only arrived there about 13 or 1400AD, so  it's not a case like the aborigines in Australia who have been there for tens of thousands of years. 

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

The former head of counter terrorism at the Met was just on Radio 4 and stated it's wrong to equate Islamophobia with racism because Islam isn't a race.

What a fucked up country we have.

He actually said the opposite.  He was critical of people who held this view and called it 'clumsy thinking' and took issue with far right rhetoric which dismisses the notion of Islamophobia as racist on the basis that Islam isn't a race.

I had a listen again as I thought you'd misremembered the interview.  You can hear it at about 2:37 here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00036kf

No he said it's wrong to equate Islamophobia to racism. I listened to it again and searched twitter while waiting for it to come up.

Basically the repeating the Melanie Phillips/ Douglas Murray right wing outrider pish.

You could tell he was going to say something racist as he started humming and hawwing as soon as the question was asked.

Edited by Detournement

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

No he said it's wrong to equate Islamophobia to racism. I listened to it again and searched twitter while waiting for it to come up.

Basically the repeating the Melanie Phillips/ Douglas Murray right wing outrider pish.

You could tell he was going to say something racist as he started humming and hawwing as soon as the question was asked.

He was condemning Islamophobia and racism equally, just pointing out there's a ideological aspect to islamophobia which isn't always present in conventional racism. He didn't sound remotely right wing or racist.

Edited by welshbairn

Checked out Facebook to see how many profile pics have been changed to NZ flags.

None apparently. There must be something different in this incident from the recent terrorist attacks in Belguim and France. Can't quite put my finger on it...

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He was condemning Islamophobia and racism equally, just pointing out there's a ideological aspect to islamophobia which isn't always present in conventional racism. He didn't sound remotely right wing or racist.

He specifically said it's wrong to equate Islamophobia with racism. Islamophobia is racism, there are no legitimate arguments against that.

As I have said he has Henry Jackson links,

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The attack on the Linwood mosque was stopped when a "well-known local Muslim" returned fire at the shooter.  Not sure if he hit him.

Which mass shooters have been taken alive?  Breveik was arrested alive, I can't think of any others.

There's been quite a few. Breveik as you mention, Kip Kinkel, Martin Bryant, James Holmes off the top of my head.