• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
ICTJohnboy

Sunday Bloody Sunday.

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
1 hour ago, ali_91 said:
Anyone that has given an order to shoot innocent civilians or shown a wilful disregard to civilians in their commands should be tried. 
Anyone who has shot unarmed civilians with little or no threat to themselves should be tried. 
Imo. 

So that suggests you're supporting the findings of the enquiry, and that soldier f is the only person who should be tried?

Read the first line of his post.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Read the first line of his post.

So is there proof that such an order was given?

Willful disregard in sending the Paras in to control an almost entirely civilian situation, yes, and against clear orders from above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Wilford

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Why?

I thought your definitions were the ones looked at by the enquiry?

Your posting style is very argumentative, but I'm genuinely not trying to have a pop.

You seem to know a fair amount about this topic. I do not. My instinct tells me that an individual soldier is being hung out to dry - but like I say, I've not looked at this topic in depth. I'm trying to work out what you make of it all.

I never mentioned anything about the validity of the inquiry and I certainly never suggested that soldier F is the only person who should be tried. I’m not being argumentative here, just slightly bemused how you could take my posts and draw that conclusion. 

I never mentioned anything about the validity of the inquiry and I certainly never suggested that soldier F is the only person who should be tried. I’m not being argumentative here, just slightly bemused how you could take my posts and draw that conclusion. 
Apologies.

So is anyone (not just p&b, but wider reaction) actually happy with the outcome of this inquiry?

It's a bit like May's Brexit deal. Those who campaigned for so long feel like this is a pitiful outcome, and then there's the supporters of the British army who are appalled that anyone will face trial.

I personally feel that this is the worst outcome. Like I said earlier, I understand the argument about letting this whole thing lie because of the complicated context of the troubles. I don't know if I agree with it, but I certainly understand it. There's a huge amount of hatred on both sides, and lines have to be drawn somewhere.

But my instinct is that anyone who put the paras in that day, and anyone who gave them orders should be up in court.

Not just one individual soldier.

47 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Apologies.

So is anyone (not just p&b, but wider reaction) actually happy with the outcome of this inquiry?

It's a bit like May's Brexit deal. Those who campaigned for so long feel like this is a pitiful outcome, and then there's the supporters of the British army who are appalled that anyone will face trial.

I personally feel that this is the worst outcome. Like I said earlier, I understand the argument about letting this whole thing lie because of the complicated context of the troubles. I don't know if I agree with it, but I certainly understand it. There's a huge amount of hatred on both sides, and lines have to be drawn somewhere.

But my instinct is that anyone who put the paras in that day, and anyone who gave them orders should be up in court.

Not just one individual soldier.

Something similar to South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission might have been better, where full transparency on crimes committed by both sides could be offered amnesty in exchange. It might have just kept the anger boiling for another 50 years though.

I think the reaction to the decision has to be seen in the wider context of the last few years.

The DUP and Arlene Foster were up to their oxters in corruption of the RHI fiasco, got (& are continuing to get more) influence over Brexit in a way that is totally contrary to the wishes of most citizens of either denomination, after the last NI elections impasse a series of NI secretaries each more clueless than the last has presided over nothing you could call the public interest.

Then this. It all adds up to one big f**k you from England.

Spotted this elsewhere. I don’t have a great deal of knowledge or strong opinions on the subject but it is fairly damning, coming from a publication you might expect to hold a contrary view.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/the-case-for-prosecuting-bloody-sunday-soldier-f/amp/
That's an outstanding article.