Sunday Bloody Sunday.

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
1 hour ago, ali_91 said:
Anyone that has given an order to shoot innocent civilians or shown a wilful disregard to civilians in their commands should be tried. 
Anyone who has shot unarmed civilians with little or no threat to themselves should be tried. 
Imo. 

So that suggests you're supporting the findings of the enquiry, and that soldier f is the only person who should be tried?

Read the first line of his post.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Read the first line of his post.

So is there proof that such an order was given?

Willful disregard in sending the Paras in to control an almost entirely civilian situation, yes, and against clear orders from above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Wilford

I never mentioned anything about the validity of the inquiry and I certainly never suggested that soldier F is the only person who should be tried. I’m not being argumentative here, just slightly bemused how you could take my posts and draw that conclusion. 
Apologies.

So is anyone (not just p&b, but wider reaction) actually happy with the outcome of this inquiry?

It's a bit like May's Brexit deal. Those who campaigned for so long feel like this is a pitiful outcome, and then there's the supporters of the British army who are appalled that anyone will face trial.

I personally feel that this is the worst outcome. Like I said earlier, I understand the argument about letting this whole thing lie because of the complicated context of the troubles. I don't know if I agree with it, but I certainly understand it. There's a huge amount of hatred on both sides, and lines have to be drawn somewhere.

But my instinct is that anyone who put the paras in that day, and anyone who gave them orders should be up in court.

Not just one individual soldier.

47 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Apologies.

So is anyone (not just p&b, but wider reaction) actually happy with the outcome of this inquiry?

It's a bit like May's Brexit deal. Those who campaigned for so long feel like this is a pitiful outcome, and then there's the supporters of the British army who are appalled that anyone will face trial.

I personally feel that this is the worst outcome. Like I said earlier, I understand the argument about letting this whole thing lie because of the complicated context of the troubles. I don't know if I agree with it, but I certainly understand it. There's a huge amount of hatred on both sides, and lines have to be drawn somewhere.

But my instinct is that anyone who put the paras in that day, and anyone who gave them orders should be up in court.

Not just one individual soldier.

Something similar to South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission might have been better, where full transparency on crimes committed by both sides could be offered amnesty in exchange. It might have just kept the anger boiling for another 50 years though.

Spotted this elsewhere. I don’t have a great deal of knowledge or strong opinions on the subject but it is fairly damning, coming from a publication you might expect to hold a contrary view.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/the-case-for-prosecuting-bloody-sunday-soldier-f/amp/
That's an outstanding article.

Archived