Transfer List

Keepoffthegrass

I think Darvel deserve great credit for targetting Talbot who are unquestionably the best side in Scotland bit for me it's a risky strategy as it's all fine and well filling the pockets of some players with a cartload of cash but unless the piggy bank is neverending then it will only last as long as the benefactors stay interested where as for me what Talbot have achieved has been 30 odd year in the making building the club brick by brick and a few years of Darvel winning the trophies won't shake that foundation.

1 hour ago, Talbot 1978 said:
1 hour ago, ThemightyHERTHA said:
Thomas is very good pals with kev Mcdonald who's now the darvel number 2 so I would think maybe darvel bound. Just a hunch though. 

No disrespect to Darvel but surely that's a drop down on football terms?

Yes it is but beith need top quality up front for me...... 

3 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

I think Darvel deserve great credit for targetting Talbot who are unquestionably the best side in Scotland bit for me it's a risky strategy as it's all fine and well filling the pockets of some players with a cartload of cash but unless the piggy bank is neverending then it will only last as long as the benefactors stay interested where as for me what Talbot have achieved has been 30 odd year in the making building the club brick by brick and a few years of Darvel winning the trophies won't shake that foundation.

Chris we have a successful lottery running 

we have more advertising boards than any other junior club in Scotland 

this close season we will need the benefactors money there is no doubt about that as we are building a new lounge area , new covered enclosure , new home dressing room and the park is getting done by same contractors as talbot currently have but we need to be ready for our goal which is the premiership and going far in the junior cup and if we can do that with the crowds we will get and the aforementioned lottery and advertising we will be self sufficient and ready to challenge anyone , this hasn’t happened overnight we have been working our socks off to get to this stage for a few years now  and we believe that bringing Mick and Kev in we have got 2 guys that will take us far 

this close season we will need the benefactors money there is no doubt about that as we are building a new lounge area , new covered enclosure , new home dressing room and the park is getting done by same contractors as talbot currently have but we need to be ready for our goal which is the premiership and going far in the junior cup and if we can do that with the crowds we will get and the aforementioned lottery and advertising we will be self sufficient and ready to challenge anyone , this hasn’t happened overnight we have been working our socks off to get to this stage for a few years now  and we believe that bringing Mick and Kev in we have got 2 guys that will take us far 
I can't argue with that .it's clear your putting the foundations in place and that will protect the club in the long term once your self sufficient .
So it makes sense that the management team and top signings are the next logical step to try and get the club where they want to be .
I'm sure there will be a lot of jealousy directed at yourself and the club as I find Junior football incredibly petty at the best of times but I wish you guys every success and think it's great for junior football to see a club growing than rather being dragged along with the times

Did Darvel not get to the final in the seventies? Had a big centre half called Frew? He had fists like wrecking balls
They did. Willie Frew was captain of the Hurlford side that won the Ayrshire League and Cup in 1972/73 before slippering Darvel to the Junior Cup Final, when they lost 3-0 to Bo'ness at Hampden. He's still a regular at Blair Park and I assume he makes the trip up the valley for games too.

2 hours ago, ex-german exile said:
3 hours ago, pdk said:
Did Darvel not get to the final in the seventies? Had a big centre half called Frew? He had fists like wrecking balls

They did. Willie Frew was captain of the Hurlford side that won the Ayrshire League and Cup in 1972/73 before slippering Darvel to the Junior Cup Final, when they lost 3-0 to Bo'ness at Hampden. He's still a regular at Blair Park and I assume he makes the trip up the valley for games too.

Frew and Gilmour central defence with John leckie at left back what a team 

Couple of well placed sources telling me that he might not be the last to go at Beith.  Apparently all not sweetness and light up there at the moment.  Certainly when I watched a pretty insipid performance from them a couple of weeks ago looked a team lacking desire and motivation.  Maybe time for a change.

1 hour ago, Jollyboy John said:

Couple of well placed sources telling me that he might not be the last to go at Beith.  Apparently all not sweetness and light up there at the moment.  Certainly when I watched a pretty insipid performance from them a couple of weeks ago looked a team lacking desire and motivation.  Maybe time for a change.

Hearing from a couple of well placed sources that the vast majority of the squad have resigned for next season which I'm happy about, I think with 3 or 4 real top notch additions on top of that then we will be back right in about the majors again. 

Hearing from a couple of well placed sources that the vast majority of the squad have resigned for next season which I'm happy about, I think with 3 or 4 real top notch additions on top of that then we will be back right in about the majors again. 
Start of the season I saw Beith and thought they looked jaded. That team have been at the top of the game for about 5 or 6 seasons now so no surprise. Once players have notched the top trophies it's hard to sustain the dominance year on year.

Interesting to see how they regroup

5 minutes ago, Talbot 1978 said:

Start of the season I saw Beith and thought they looked jaded. That team have been at the top of the game for about 5 or 6 seasons now so no surprise. Once players have notched the top trophies it's hard to sustain the dominance year on year.

Interesting to see how they regroup

We've really raised the bar in the last ten years with what Johnny has won for us but we also need to remain realistic-can't win the west, league, Scottish every single year, I'd like to think that we are now one of the bigger names in the juniors but not many can win the bigger prizes every season........... Well unless you're talbot who are a total freak (that's meant as a compliment) :)

14 hours ago, peasy23 said:
15 hours ago, Talbot 1978 said:
Tbh I'm actually old enough to remember Darvel as a very good team.

Me too, they won 3-0 at Petershill Park in the Junior Cup Quarter Final in 1984, then we beat them 1-0 at Love Street in the semi in 1985.

I was 11 at the quarter final game, saw one of the best goals I have ever seen still to this day by Billy Steel the Darvel centre forward.

20 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Hearing that quite a few Lanarkshire boys heading down your way next season??