QP v Elgin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Galt, Moore, Roberts and McLean all absolutely outstanding. Everything clicked in attack today and everyone looked up for it right from the first minute. Some very winnable fixtures over the next month, so hopefully we can have a strong end to the season 

This plus a defence in a straight line anticipating through balls. And great to see many first time efforts from so many players.

A long list of MotM candidates. Seeing as Davie got the official one (and hopefully the match ball which the lino ran off with) I’m going with Scott McLean. His influence on the game is quite extraordinary given where he was 4 months ago. Every week.

Well done to the coach too.

Jumped along to this given Hampden is usually not stupidly cold, and the fact that I haven't seen Queens this season since the Betfred game in July.

Really enjoyed it too, the first 20 minutes were absolutely all action with a couple of goals and Rabin Omar lucky not to pick up two bookings in about five minutes. It went a wee bit calmer before half-time, and then the David Galt show started. I've always been a big fan of his since I saw him playing Juniors before signing for Queens for the first time, but my God is he a sensational player. There aren't too many technically better in the lower leagues imho. His second and third goals were really, really nice finishes - Kyle Gourlay should've got his first mind you.

As others have said though, Queens looked excellent all over the park in the second-half. I liked the look of Kurtis Roberts back in July, and I really like the look of him now. Big Lewis Hawke looks a handful up front too, he might not be a goalscorer, but paired with someone who is he could be a really, really good player. 

From an Elgin point-of-view not much went right. Gourlay made a sensational first-half save, but didn't cover himself in glory from that point onwards, McGowan (? #22) looked really, really poor and big Daryl McHardy looked badly missed...Although he did score a hat-trick last time I saw him, so I guess my views on him are now based on that! Further forward Rabin Omar seemed to spend the game chasing his own first touch, and Scott Roberts looked every but the player Raith fans still go on about. Nothing seemed to stick up front and, goal aside, Jordan Hart really didn't have a great deal to do.

All the best to both sides for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Any stattos confirm if that's the quickest hat-trick in QP history? Struggle to think that it isn't. 

Times of goals can be difficult to track down, particularly pre WW2, but Robert Barr scored three in five minutes against St Johnstone in September 1925, can't see anything quicker than that though.

Quickest others are a couple of ten minute hat-tricks, Ian Denholm against Brechin in December 1970 and the last three of Jamie Longworth's four against Elgin in January 2012.

At the other extreme is Wilson Carter who took a comparatively pedestrian 80 minutes (7m to 87m) over his hat trick against Stenhousemuir in January 1967.

Yes, I need to get out more.

Oh aye. I do have one moan. The Specials and only The Specials should be the goal song. I will allow exceptions for Hawaii Five 0 and the Magnificent Seven on the rare occasions that we pump someone by the relevant number. 

Oh aye. I do have one moan. The Specials and only The Specials should be the goal song. I will allow exceptions for Hawaii Five 0 and the Magnificent Seven on the rare occasions that we pump someone by the relevant number. 

The Specials and Madness made a good living from copying Prince Buster’s catalogue including a jaunty version of this, which is my favourite. I suspect there might be a few around who would prefer Guy Lombardo’s original.

Going by the excellent highlights the left side of our defence was easily breached and not for the first time this season. The goalie had another nightmare but it is a while since we have had a reliable one and good goalies seem to be a rare specimen at this level  nowadays. Time to plan for next season though in my opinion we have been out of the play off race for quite some time. It will be the usual nightmare of trying to attract good players to our location. I think it will be very difficult for us to get out of this league and at the moment I am more worried at dropping out as it only takes one bad season. Peterhead should win the league now but how long will they stay up?

Said this all season, Elgin’s defence is an embarrassment and watching the highlights confirm that. Midfield no creativity.
Don’t understand why GP can’t see it.

Pretty dangerous going forward though plenty of pace [emoji100] which troubled our defence and first goal was very slick
Great open game first 30 mins - BTTS was a stick on!

Archived