Kazakhstan V Scotland

Enigma

2 hours ago, Estragon is a fud said:

That is revisionist nonsense. The Smith/McLeish squads were packed full of utter guff.

In Paris we had Paul Hartley (who at that point was still a winger) and Stephen Pearson playing in centre-mid after Fletcher went off injured. Gary O'Connor came off the bench. Jay McEveley , Gary Teale , Nigel Quashie and Graeme Murty were getting starts during that campaign.  Scott Severin and Craig Beattie were coming off the bench in important qualification games. Graham Alexander at left-back.

You're talking total nonsense I'm afraid.

Hartley was more of a defensive midfielder from the start of the George Burley era at hearts IIRC?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Burke has found his level now.  Dropping down a level or two from the Bundesliga to the EFL Championship, then another level down to the Scottish Premiership.  In football, you always end up where you're meant to, and he certainly has.

He actually looks like he's gotten worse since he left Forrest in 2016.

Yeah, that's just daft. Celtic would hump most of the English Championship.

Was there much in the McGregor/McFadeen tussle at the end? Saw it mentioned in the commentary but hasn’t been mentioned since. Could be a sign of disconnect between players and management.

Burke shoved Racist Malky after being subbed in the Toulon tournament a while back. Nobody even mentioned it, even though it was fairly physical.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ultimately the major fault is with McLeish, for playing a central midfielder at left back. Its four seasons since Shinnie played left back, and that's just as club level.

Callum McGregor played left back for Celtic in Europe this year did he not?

Cant remember that  but he played left back at Ibrox and was still our best player. Would have made since to play him there with Mctominay protecting the makeshift back 4.

It's completely indefensible that we've went into our last 3 games with either a forward or a midfielder playing in defence.

We new around 8/9 days in advance of the Albania game that O'Donnell was injured. At that point there was no natural right back in our entire squad. Instead of bringing one in as cover for Tierney, McLeish chose to leave two empty spaces in the squad. The day before the Albania game Tierney is declared out of both games and also Fleck is added to the squad for the Israel game. Why not add a right back at this point too and have them waiting in Glasgow? Was he not aware that we were playing someone who hasn't played that position in two years?  We got a little lucky that it didn't affect us a great deal in those two games but Paterson was worse than mince.

And again this week. Robertson injured first this time. Presumably they new around Sunday 5pm of what the Liverpool doctors thought. The squad is full. McLeish thinks, I can't drop our injured captain in case there's a chance he can make it for San Marino, so we'll just have to do with one left back. Tierney is declared out the day before the game again and.....no changes to the squad since. Shinnie plays terribly, again in a position he's barely played in years. I get that it's San Marino next but just give us a fucking left back.

Edit: It seems like Robertson is going to make it for the San Marino game now.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

It's officially our worst ever result

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47667359

It must vie for the title of worst-ever loss.

By the same token the idea that losing 2-1 to Poland in the 1960s, 1-0 to Eire in the 1980s, 3-1 to Belgium in the 1970s etc. are up there is ridiculous.

Belgium won the qualifying group undefeated that campaign - ahead of Austria, Portugal, ourselves and Norway - then won their Euro 80 group ahead of Italy, England and Spain... and finally lost the Final only 2-1 and courtesy a late West German winner. In WC 1966 qualifying the Poles finished 1pt behind us - also holding us and Italy to draws in Warsaw. Rating these as worse than to losing to FYR Macedonia, Georgia, Israel or Lithuania is clearly nuts.

12 hours ago, Desp said:

How come all of the Kazakhstan fans looked Asian but none of their players did

Get this investigated SFA. Something fishy going on.  There's points to be claimed back here...

Reasonable observation. I'm watching the England game and a Kazakh viewer might wonder why the ethnic make up of the crowd doesn't remotely reflect that of the players.

Guest DAVIDB69

I know watching england not much of a comparison , but it strikes you how slow everything we do at international level is compared to better sides .

Everything takes so long to do for us , we are so slow in thought and movement and we don’t look very fit.

I was shouted down for saying the squad was rubbish when it was picked it is, but I appreciate that we just don’t have enough players playing at a decent standard and until that changes nothing will results wise

Theres not much left to be said about yesterday and while Shinnie has taken a bit of stick for getting caught out for all 3 goals and i thought McKenna's was a poor effort for the third, the worst thing was the time their midfielders had to pick the ball up, pick the passes out and then play them! There was no one within 10-15 yards.

I always argued with my Dad that Scotland had half decent players and should be getting results far better than the level we do. he said they were pish but i look at the two irelands squads  and look at the results they get, why cant we match those? Well organised everyone knows their job and works their arse off to do those jobs. The complete opposite of us.

Im starting to feel a bit sorry for McLeish, the guy is clearly out his depth but sounds like he has had a stroke or some kind of illness that he doesnt realise he is really Scotland Manager. The SFA should put him out his misery but i k ow they wont.

On 21/03/2019 at 21:45, RandomGuy. said:

Why has McTominay been turned into a saviour? 

Presumably because everyone who spent the bulk of that game not on the field, had their reputation as a footballer enhanced.

Yours went up a bit.

On 21/03/2019 at 23:21, MarkoRaj said:

You're an idiot if you think those goals were in any way Bain's fault. The first was a fucking peach and the second was from 4 yards out

I think the fact that the second was from four yards out, is precisely the point.

Archived