McGinn

McGregor

Russell

Armstrong

Burke

Mcburnie

Reaction GIF: yes, nod, approval, Matthew Fox

54 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I take it Tierney hasn't travelled with the squad then?

He did travel with the squad on Monday, but trained separately from the rest of the players and was assessed today.

57 minutes ago, Desp said:

Do we really?  The likes of Douglas & Kingsley aren't really doing too much at the minute.  Certainly aren't better players that Shinnie IMO. 

Would suggest it's too early for Taylor at Killie.

If we can't get past Kazakhstan, it'll be down to a helluva lot more than sticking Shinnie, who's played at left-back for the majority of his career, there. 

Douglas was voted one of the best players in the English Championship last season at Wolves and most of their fans were shocked when he was let go to Leeds. The only reason he's not been playing as regularly this season is due to an injury which meant Alioski was moved back to cover, however Alioski has been so good in this position that Douglas has failed to win his place back as yet, although he's still been making sub appearances for a team sitting in the top 3.

Personally I'd say he was definitely good enough to be included in our squad and his set piece deliveries are generally fantastic and another major reason why he would have been a good option.

9 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Really no surprises that Tierney's pulled out for the third Scotland squad in a row.

Correct, as he has recently returned from 4 months on the sidelines!

I think if Celtic had some sort of agenda here the Scotland squad would be looking a lot worse than it is.

Yup, 12 and 6 caps respectively for two of our most talented players says it all really.

Fwiw I don’t think Tierney is as bad for this as Fraser but both should have significantly more caps if they’d stop pulling out of squads.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He did travel with the squad on Monday, but trained separately from the rest of the players and was assessed today.

So before boarding the plane, McLeish knew that our first choice left back wasn’t making it and that our second choice needed to be assessed before the game. Yet he didn’t think to call up Barry Douglas.

Ridiculous.

So before boarding the plane, McLeish knew that our first choice left back wasn’t making it and that our second choice needed to be assessed before the game. Yet he didn’t think to call up Barry Douglas.
Ridiculous.

Is it thiugh? Shinnie can play there. Palmer has been playing there this season

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

Is it thiugh? Shinnie can play there. Palmer has been playing there this season

Shinnie has barely played left-back in years and Douglas is far more accomplished in that position in Palmer. And if you play Palmer at left-back it means we have no one on the bench if something happened to O’Donnell.

As @craigkillie said, we shouldn’t be having to patch up the squad playing players out of position. If the manager knows about call-offs before the squad flies out he should call-up replacements in time.

There is a 25 year old left back currently playing regularly in the English Premiership, cost £6 million and has over 200 career league games under his belt, mostly in the Championship who has previously been selected for a Scotland under 21 squad.

I make that 8 players who are current English Premiership regulars, are eligible for Scotland and who, for a variety of reasons, aren’t in the squad.

It’s a lot of talent missing, especially when we have so many injuries.

There is a 25 year old left back currently playing regularly in the English Premiership, cost £6 million and has over 200 career league games under his belt, mostly in the Championship who has previously been selected for a Scotland under 21 squad.

I make that 8 players who are current English Premiership regulars, are eligible for Scotland and who, for a variety of reasons, aren’t in the squad.

It’s a lot of talent missing, especially when we have so many injuries.
Who's that?

Who's that?

I’d presume Joe Bryan, at Fulham. He maybe can’t be arsed? Called up to one u21 squad which he pulled out of.

Douglas or Kingsley should quite obviously have been on the plane though. After the ‘high’ of beating Israel I’d kind of forgotten about the McLeish/McFadden brain trust. Got to win.

Archived