Kazakhstan V Scotland

Enigma

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes.

He should have read it and reached it before the attacker who literally covered five times the ground he did in the same time.  He didn't even get out enough to be right on top of the goalscorer.  It was a nicely threaded pass, but the forward shouldn't have been able to get onto it that close to the goal.

Nonsense

The attacker was already running, that's how a through ball works for f**k sake

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Nonsense

The attacker was already running, that's how a through ball works for f**k sake

Yes, that's how through balls take defenders out of the game.  They go behind them and force them to turn. They're not usually so close to the goal though that they  land within comfortable range of the only person behind its destination, the only defensive player who has the ball in front of him when it gets through.  That person is the goalkeeper.

I've watched it again just now too.   You are quite simply wrong.

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's how through balls take defenders out of the game.  They go behind them and force them to turn. They're not usually so close to the goal though that they  land within comfortable range of the only person behind its destination, the only defensive player who has the ball in front of him when it gets through.  That person is the goalkeeper.

I've watched it again just now too.   You are quite simply wrong.

You're right on this.  I've never played the game at a pro level but I was taught but good coaches and every single one of them tells you to always defend side on so it's easier to turn either way and to always take steps back when you think you're going to get in trouble.  Shinnie stood straight facing forward and went forward and got himself caught out.     Even with the forward running at speed, by taking steps back, he would have covered the pass or the player easily.  

Again, not that it matters, but did we ever get a view showing that the first goal WAS actually onside???

Wish people would stop slagging some of our promising/decent/good players and start going into what level of league they are etc it's boring. That was a shambles and the blame definitely wasn't with the players.

They're capable of much more.

I think it was Liam McLeod who said on Sportsound (inbetween Craig Brown and Willie Miller havering pish) that he had never seen so many players put their hands up to the sideline as if to say 'what are we supposed to be doing here' before. Even if you think they're shouldering blame that speaks volume in some sense. Even if they were organised and given good instructions they wouldn't be doing that to a management team they fully respected, trusted or had confidence in

Eta: that boy Graeme Jones too, the head of high performance. Havering absolute pish for me. Football is a simple fucking game

Whilst I'm here one of the excuses Craig Brown gave to Stuart Cosgrove when he pointed out that other teams had gone there and won and that Kazakhstans record was awful was 'Scotland have to travel further than a lot of the teams going there' [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Wish people would stop slagging some of our promising/decent/good players and start going into what level of league they are etc it's boring. That was a shambles and the blame definitely wasn't with the players.

I think it was Liam McLeod who said on Sportsound (inbetween Craig Brown and Willie Miller havering pish) that he had never seen so many players put their hands up to the sideline as if to say 'what are we supposed to be doing here' before. Even if you think they're shouldering blame that speaks volume in some sense. Even if they were organised and given good instructions they wouldn't be doing that to a management team they fully respected, trusted or had confidence in

Eta: that boy Graeme Jones too, the head of high performance. Havering absolute pish for me. Football is a simple fucking game

Whilst I'm here one of the excuses Craig Brown gave to Stuart Cosgrove when he pointed out that other teams had gone there and won and that Kazakhstans record was awful was 'Scotland have to travel further than a lot of the teams going there' [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yeah Craig Brown comes out with some piss poor arguments all the time* and I think those in the studio with him respect him too much to show him up.

*Claimed he did bring youth through, the best example being Mark burchill
*Claimed an autocratic regime would be best for Scotland, like the highly successful one led by David Murray at Rangers
*Compares the mid-90s English top flight with the 2019 incarnation as if nothing has changed (many of Brown's English top flighters would likely have been Championship level players today)

For what it's worth I hold him in high esteem too, but it's a bit cringey when he comes out with stuff like that.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Whilst I'm here one of the excuses Craig Brown gave to Stuart Cosgrove when he pointed out that other teams had gone there and won and that Kazakhstans record was awful was 'Scotland have to travel further than a lot of the teams going there' emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Yes, I caught a bit of OTB yesterday and heard that!

Broon seems a nice enough guy, but f**k me, horrendous/auld SFA mentality shone right through. He then went on to say ''Celtic beat them 5-0 in Glasgow'' What good does that do? If Russia or even Cyprus take 4/6 pts from them. He then went on about Kazakhstan and Norway having first class pitches and facilities, I did like Cosgrove's wee ''Aye, oil rich independent countries, eh?"

He even seemed to suggest that the preparations for the Israel (a) game were too short ; yet maybe I heard wrong - as was half-busy - did he not say something along the lines of Scotland maybe went too early to Kazakhstan! :lol:

Willie Miller was another havering utter pish on the Radio Scotland podcast/show after the game. Nice guys, I'm sure ; but these guys are 20-30 years out of football. They're basically Yer Da when it comes to the modern game, and should be called out on some of the amount of shite they patter on.

The sad reality is, anything other than a win today and McLeish is gone. I think we'll win, as bad as losing in Kazakhstan are  - they do have professional players, Champions/Europa League players - San Marino are part-timers and probably the worst team in UEFA.  So, we'll most likely win, might even rack up a few goals and it'll be ''He deserves another chance. There's 8 games left for us. We've still got Russia twice etc''

We'll the maybe fluke a 2-1 over Cypurs, then get papped by Belgium a few days later.

I see Panucci was sacked as Albania coach after their 2-0 home defeat to Turkey. Obviously they had a shite NL campaign and never seen the game, but obviously that was enough for them. Done, gone.

Guest Moomintroll
Broon seems a nice enough guy, but f**k me, horrendous/auld SFA mentality shone right through. He then went on to say ''Celtic beat them 5-0 in Glasgow'' What good does that do? If Russia or even Cyprus take 4/6 pts from them. He then went on about Kazakhstan and Norway having first class pitches and facilities, I did like Cosgrove's wee ''Aye, oil rich independent countries, eh?"
He even seemed to suggest that the preparations for the Israel (a) game were too short ; yet maybe I heard wrong - as was half-busy - did he not say something along the lines of Scotland maybe went too early to Kazakhstan! [emoji38]
Willie Miller was another havering utter pish on the Radio Scotland podcast/show after the game. Nice guys, I'm sure ; but these guys are 20-30 years out of football. They're basically Yer Da when it comes to the modern game, and should be called out on some of the amount of shite they patter on.
The sad reality is, anything other than a win today and McLeish is gone. I think we'll win, as bad as losing in Kazakhstan are  - they do have professional players, Champions/Europa League players - San Marino are part-timers and probably the worst team in UEFA.  So, we'll most likely win, might even rack up a few goals and it'll be ''He deserves another chance. There's 8 games left for us. We've still got Russia twice etc''
We'll the maybe fluke a 2-1 over Cypurs, then get papped by Belgium a few days later.
I see Panucci was sacked as Albania coach after their 2-0 home defeat to Turkey. Obviously they had a shite NL campaign and never seen the game, but obviously that was enough for them. Done, gone.

They are, officially, the worst team in the FIFA rankings never mind UEFA. They will get nil, let's just hope we do not do the same. Usually I would not countenance that but right now, who knows?

22 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
27 minutes ago, Kejan said:
He even seemed to suggest that the preparations for the Israel (a) game were too short ; yet maybe I heard wrong - as was half-busy - did he not say something along the lines of Scotland maybe went too early to Kazakhstan! emoji38.png

They are, officially, the worst team in the FIFA rankings never mind UEFA. They will get nil, let's just hope we do not do the same. Usually I would not countenance that but right now, who knows?

I can't see it, but us getting nil is precisely what I want to see.

Otherwise, we'll probably muddle on with this ridiculous coaching team.

3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah Craig Brown comes out with some piss poor arguments all the time* and I think those in the studio with him respect him too much to show him up.

*Claimed he did bring youth through, the best example being Mark burchill

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-gif.gif

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-gif.gif

I couldn't bear to listen to OTB yesterday as you just knew Mr Nice Guy Brown would support McLeish and back his leadership up with meaningless stats.

Likewise I know that Cosgrove would come out with his usual tedious anti-English Championship rant, probably mentioning that NI field a number of players from Scotland outside Celtic & Rangers.  And failing of course to mention the large amount of Championship players who have helped them do well in recent years.

A man who has claimed in recent years that Stevie May and Michael O'Halleron are much superior to any English Championship players is a man I have no interest in listening to.

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Brown was also saying Kazak football was on the up.   Kazakhstan 0 - 4 Russia.  Aye nae bother Craig.

Tbf he wasn't alone in peddling that for the few days it had feasible currency. Sportsound yesterday afternoon spent a while with Willie Miller, Billy Dodds, Liam McLeod, Richard Gordon etc. saying the 3-0 defeat on Thursday would have a different complexion if they did the same to the Russians and that could "give heart" to McLeish and the squad. We won't hear of it again now.

Brown was also saying Kazak football was on the up.   Kazakhstan 0 - 4 Russia.  Aye nae bother Craig.
The first two goals were very good goals, and you can't take that away from them. In that respect they had a dream start.

So many times you hear the phrase 'that's a bit of a warning for (insert heavy favourites)' - but instead they scored two very good goals (albeit helped with atrocious defending).

The big problem for me is that we didn't lay a glove on them after that. Whether or not their team is on the up is difficult to judge based on two games - but they certainly had enough quality to punish us for our errors.

Must admit I am one of the posters with egg on my face re the Russia result today.

Thought they could well drop a couple of points there, or at best a squeaky one goal win.

Must have been some imperial subservience from the otherwise rapidly improving Kazakhs.

Archived