Kazakhstan V Scotland

Enigma

Beyond embarrassing : Scotland are now truly at the minnow level. 

NI can perform, Iceland can perform etc. Something has been wrong with Scottish football for years. 

What EXACTLY is Malky Mackay doing : he's been in his no doubt very well paid job for over two years

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Keep hearing this. Fact is we did look sharp and threatening at the start - but only for 2 or 3 mins (when Burke had his first explosive run past their RB). But after that it was shitmageddon all the way. On reflection McLeish might realise those 2.5 mins were not worth holding up as a positive to balance against the huge negatives, but he wasn't completely making it up.

It's a bit like saying we looked good during the anthems though, isn't it?

We maybe were ok before the goals, but when two arrive that early, it's utterly ludicrous to point to a bright start, It's not helped when we consider that the comment came in the context of speaking after the very worst result in the history of the nation with the joint longest footballing history on the planet.

I feel a bit sorry for all of the players really. I actually don’t think it was the case they didn’t try or couldn’t be arsed, I just thought that they didn’t have a clue what they should be doing and how the team was set up.

The bottom line is that we have a huge number of call-offs and those left were not likely to be first team picks if everyone was available. It was a team of players who, bar a couple, don’t have much european or international experience. They haven’t played together before in a competitive game and you have players like Shinnie who was played in a role he hasn’t played in for 2-3 years.

I don’t think any of the players could be expected to shine in those circumstances and I hope that, for the likes of Shinnie and Bain, they get a better chance than this to show what they can do.

I know it was Kazakhstan we were playing and you might say even with all this we should win comfortably. They are a professional side though and one that was well-organised and had a game plan. Something we can only aspire to these days.

Any defence of McLeish seems to centre on the fact that he got us through the Nations' League.

Admittedly, that brief campaign could have gone worse but even it featured a despicable display in all time terms.  Obviously the nature of his appointment meant he had no reserves of goodwill.  Surely now, losses need cut.

57 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

It's a shame Igor Shatsky wasn't playing for the Kazakhs. I doubt they would have kept a clean sheet with him in nets. 

We had, I think, one shot on target. They could have gone with me in goals and would still have won.

Any defence of McLeish seems to centre on the fact that he got us through the Nations' League.
Admittedly, that brief campaign could have gone worse but even it featured a despicable display in all time terms.  Obviously the nature of his appointment meant he had no reserves of goodwill.  Surely now, losses need cut.

Indeed. Willie miller saying he deserves a shot at the nations league playoff because he got us this easy shot at qualification.

It was a bare minimum achievement winning that group, and as you say included a risible performance against Israel. If he hadn’t got us there he should have been sacked on the spot.

I prefer to look at it as this playoff might be the best chance we get to qualify for years, do you trust mcleish to capitalise on it? Absolutely not. We can’t afford to f**k it up.

I almost got up at 4am to watch this game, glad I didn’t. I’ve had to put up with a lot of stick from the Kiwi’s. I reckon even New Zealand would absolutely dick us at the moment. We are an absolute shambles both on and off the pitch.

Get McLeish in the sea and bring in someone who can actually organise us and play to our strengths.

5 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

I almost got up at 4am to watch this game, glad I didn’t. I’ve had to put up with a lot of stick from the Kiwi’s. I reckon even New Zealand would absolutely dick us at the moment. We are an absolute shambles both on and off the pitch.

Get McLeish in the sea and bring in someone who can actually organise us and play to our strengths.

Worth mentioning, despite the FIFA rankings being a farce, New Zealand are only two places below Kazakhstan. 

Both sit below world powers like Haiti, Kenya and Bahrain.

12 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

What are our strengths 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed. Willie miller saying he deserves a shot at the nations league playoff because he got us this easy shot at qualification.

It was a bare minimum achievement winning that group, and as you say included a risible performance against Israel. If he hadn’t got us there he should have been sacked on the spot.

I prefer to look at it as this playoff might be the best chance we get to qualify for years, do you trust mcleish to capitalise on it? Absolutely not. We can’t afford to f**k it up.

Yes, I actually think that the fact we're in those play-offs, boosts rather than dents, any case to get rid of McLeish.  It means that despite the fact that this campaign already looks doomed, we will definitely have really meaningful fixtures during this calendar year.  

We surely can't entrust them to someone so unimpressive.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This is a game that should be a sackable offence in itself

It's not the result that bothers me. The performance and complete lack of any gameplan were alarming to the point where he can't be trusted for any more games

1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

But that wasn't his fault was it?

Yes.

He should have read it and reached it before the attacker who literally covered five times the ground he did in the same time.  He didn't even get out enough to be right on top of the goalscorer.  It was a nicely threaded pass, but the forward shouldn't have been able to get onto it that close to the goal.

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I feel a bit sorry for all of the players really. I actually don’t think it was the case they didn’t try or couldn’t be arsed, I just thought that they didn’t have a clue what they should be doing and how the team was set up.

The bottom line is that we have a huge number of call-offs and those left were not likely to be first team picks if everyone was available. It was a team of players who, bar a couple, don’t have much european or international experience. They haven’t played together before in a competitive game and you have players like Shinnie who was played in a role he hasn’t played in for 2-3 years.

I don’t think any of the players could be expected to shine in those circumstances and I hope that, for the likes of Shinnie and Bain, they get a better chance than this to show what they can do.

I know it was Kazakhstan we were playing and you might say even with all this we should win comfortably. They are a professional side though and one that was well-organised and had a game plan. Something we can only aspire to these days.

No chance the calls offs are to blame. Two were left backs, so can't see that would have made much difference in terms of our attacking threat. We had ample cover for Fraser in the midfield and Fletcher upfront. If we're relying on Fletcher anyway then we're in trouble. 

Kazakhstan were missing two of their regular starters.

30 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Are you Tom English? That's what he said the other night! I completely agree with it. Miller was talking total pish. Two wins over Albania and a narrow home win over Israel got us the semi final playoff but only just. The pumpings in Israel and Nursultan show that McLeish simply isn't up to the job and should not be allowed to keep the job. Under him we'll see more call offs as the players can see what's coming and don't want to be tarnished from a horrendous result. There will be a huge number of call offs for the Russia and Cyprus away games as those players know there's a very good chance of embarrassment.

Archived