Kazakhstan V Scotland

Enigma

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Walter Smith had some absolute diddies in his time in charge of Scotland but he still got results.

The calibre of Smith's diddies were on a different level to the diddies we have now. I would challenge you to find any player who played in games where we got a result under Smith who is on a footballing par with players like McBurnie, Burke, Shinnie, Bates, Palmer etc.

Even guys like Lee McCulloch who got a lot of stick for Scotland played in the Premiership for years, played numerous Champions League games and reached a European Final. Guys who at the time we thought were hopeless would now walk into this team.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The calibre of Smith's diddies were on a different level to the diddies we have now. I would challenge you to find any player who played in games where we got a result under Smith who is on a footballing par with players like McBurnie, Burke, Shinnie, Bates, Palmer etc.

Even guys like Lee McCulloch who got a lot of stick for Scotland played in the Premiership for years, played numerous Champions League games and reached a European Final. Guys who at the time we thought were hopeless would now walk into this team.

Graham Alexander.

Northern Ireland. Similar culture/climate, smaller population, also saddled with a sectarian divide. Why can they at least do the basics and organise a team, and we can't?

Because they don't have the money grabbing rats that infest the SFA and appoint managers who are cheap rather than People who can do a good job. We might as well forget following our country because we don't have sincere and decent people running our game.

15 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Really? A decent goalie saves at least 2 of those goals. The first is right down the middle, the second he's late off his line and the third he doesn't even make an attempt. For the first and third it was as if he didn't want to dive on the surface. I was never a major fan of Allan McGregor, but he saves at least 2 of those.

None of them were obvious howlers but I'd be expecting better from a Scotland goalkeeper. Certainly, if we're ever going to qualify for anything we'll need our goalie to be able to save efforts like that.

The second one maybe he could have come off the line quicker but the other two no chance. The third one in particular short of being about seven feet tall he was never getting to. The ball actually curled in towards the goal. He was never getting near it unless he came to challenge for the cross itself.

13 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

A ludicrous obsession with the past, amongst lots of other things, and this is related.

The folk that run football in this country aren't delivering. They aren't up to it.

24 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Really? A decent goalie saves at least 2 of those goals. The first is right down the middle, the second he's late off his line and the third he doesn't even make an attempt. For the first and third it was as if he didn't want to dive on the surface. I was never a major fan of Allan McGregor, but he saves at least 2 of those.

None of them were obvious howlers but I'd be expecting better from a Scotland goalkeeper. Certainly, if we're ever going to qualify for anything we'll need our goalie to be able to save efforts like that.

You're an idiot if you think those goals were in any way Bain's fault. The first was a fucking peach and the second was from 4 yards out

Probably the main thing that really annoys me about the campaign against artificial pitches is that these pitches promote participation, something that is good for all sorts of reasons. They also give a good surface for playing and training during times the weather makes it difficult or impossible to do so on grass pitches.

The Iceland model states that facilities are a huge part of it and notes that they installed loads of them around the country. That model had loads of others things as well, but a big part was participation. As per above, the more artificial pitches we have the more people take part in the sport, and the more players we have the higher chance we have of bringing through players. There's a shortage of pitches in Scotland for kids to train and play on. There comes a point when, after being told yet again that training or a game is cancelled, that kids have had enough and go do something else.

This is one of the reasons I make numerous posts across numerous threads about artificial pitches.

But nah, some doddery old players who masquerade as pundits don't like them so f**k all of that.

There's yer Michael O'Neill who lives in Scotland and we still couldnt get him to take us on, who 2 jobs ago managed Brechin fucking City, getting similar calibre players to ours to soundly sword an actually competent side like Estonia. Get McLeish into the sun.

12 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

You're an idiot if you think those goals were in any way Bain's fault. The first was a fucking peach and the second was from 4 yards out

He’s hardly an idiot. Bain didn’t look clever at any of those goals. The defence was poor but he’s part of the defence. We are used to Scottish ‘keepers pulling off wonder saves to keep us in games. 

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

He’s hardly an idiot. Bain didn’t look clever at any of those goals. The defence was poor but he’s part of the defence. We are used to Scottish ‘keepers pulling off wonder saves to keep us in games. 

Just watching the goals again. Bain looks poor. Too slow to react to things. He’s not what we need.

3 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

And strikers.

We do have decent players, but It's 1978. Again.

A disorganised, inefficient, loose, clueless, planless rabble.

Our players are shite apart from Robertson and Tierney is unproven.

Amrstrong is a squad player in the forth worst team in England’s top division. We haven’t had a world class player for decades.

I'd totally forgotten this was an early kick off until I got a seethe filled message from my mate who'd taken the afternoon off to watch it in the pub. An utter shambles clearly, but doubtless McLeish will survive the campaign, get a nice pay off and leave the incoming no hoper with little time to prepare for the next hilariously bad campaign. Shite. 

2 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

This is difficult to define though isn't it?

McTominay played the entire game against one of the most expensively clubbed together team of best players in the world just last week.

Yup, most international teams have one or two excellent players. It just so happens ours is a left back in need of dental treatment. There's no point in pissing our pants because we're not Croatia.

That time is riddled with players who shouldn't be anywhere near a Scotland squad.
Bates isn't ready even a wee bit, Burke is woefully away from a finished article or just woeful, 1 of the 2. Don't be confused because he's fast. He also can't cross or shoot.
McBurnie only there because his surname is proper Scottish sounding.
Snodgrass, MacArthur not playing says all about the excitement the players have of playing under McLeish. It's completely pathetic and utterly embarrassing being Scottish tonight! [emoji33]

Archived