Kazakhstan V Scotland

Enigma

The writing is very much on the wall for us after that result. If we are to have any chance of even troubling Russia for second the. McLeish cannot continue after Sunday.

Hopefully he realises the game is up and goes with a bit of dignity. If not,  then his contract should be terminated next week. 

It is just under three months until Cyprus and Belgium that should give us time to get a new man in place.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

UEFA should defo ban astroturf for Internationals  as aside from the risk of injury It is an advantage for the team that play on it, Hamilton Accies would get a result out of Scotland. 

I am interested in how Kazakhstan would be able to play on a Grass pitch indoors - or play on a Grass pitch in -17C.

1 minute ago, qos_75 said:

The writing is very much on the wall for us after that result. If we are to have any chance of even troubling Russia for second the. McLeish cannot continue after Sunday.

Hopefully he realises the game is up and goes with a bit of dignity. If not,  then his contract should be terminated next week. 

It is just under three months until Cyprus and Belgium that should give us time to get a new man in place.

This

The good news is that will be at the end of the season so hopefully the likes of Clarke et al, will be available.

3 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

UEFA should defo ban astroturf for Internationals  as aside from the risk of injury It is an advantage for the team that play on it, Hamilton Accies would get a result out of Scotland. 

Shut up.

1 minute ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

The stadium has a retractable roof,  I assume that means some kind of aircon heating.

Yeah I think that's Qatar levels of ridiculousness.

The plastic pitch didn't change anything and anyone who thinks it did needs to have a look at themselves.

f**k it. We never qualify for anything anyway. Better to give up all hope after two hours than be miserable after watching twenty. I won't bother watching the remaining games and will use the free time to do something more productive. Get fit, learn a new language, finally write that novel. 

I'm not even fooling myself, I'll just be spending the time posting shite on here as usual... 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

He was a good left back at ICT, and has been decent enough for the small spells a few years back for AFC there.

Tonight though, whether he was just spooked after the bad start, he was all over the place positionally.

Sadly, the players that were no shows with a variety of fairly pathetic excuses are the ones who will be absolved from criticism - whereas Shinnie, who did very well when he came on at 3-2 and squeaky bum v Israel - has now had his reputation seriously tarnished with this one, by virtue of being an 11th hour stopgap at LB.

Undoubtedly Shinnie`s reputation is tarnished but the decision making around the matter wasn`t 11th hour.  

McLeish knew before we flew out that Robertson was out and that Tierney was doubtful. 

He chose not to call anyone else up.

I confess that for some reason I didn't even know we were playing tonight. I got in from Tesco, saw the score and thought "Heck our under-21s had a bad day at the office". Then it slowly dawned.

I suspect Kazakhstan will go on to prove that despite their ranking they aren't utter diddies on the same level as the likes of San Marino, but once again it'll be abject performances against teams of that level (Georgia anyone?) which will prove our undoing.

6 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

The Astana stadium IS heated. 

Yes, but not with the roof open, which you would need for grass.

Do you have any idea how much energy that would consume to have the roof open and the stadium heated.

Sorry, I think he was awful tonight. He’s not International class in his own position never mind anywhere else.

I agree with you point about the call offs that let us down.

He was awful tonight at LB - no disputing that.

As for “international class” - never sure what that means given the disparity in quality of opponents you face.

Tonight we had good players in midfield, but none of them put a tackle in. Shinnie is box to box, great at turning over possession and has been key in our strong away form recently - and has shown up well In European games.

I think he can do a job for Scotland - and as mentioned, he came on and did really well when Israel were looking certain to make it 3-3 - settling the team down and seeing out the game.

5 minutes ago, nsr said:

I suspect Kazakhstan will go on to prove that despite their ranking they aren't utter diddies on the same level as the likes of San Marino, but once again it'll be abject performances against teams of that level (Georgia anyone?) which will prove our undoing.

Georgia were much better than Kazakhstan.

Russia will pump them about 5-0 on Sunday.

There's absolutely no way we were ever troubling Russia for second spot here. There isn't a hope in hell we would be capable of causing Belgium the sort of problems they are right now.

With the amount of players pulling out of squads, the squad we have is as awful as it's been since the Vogts era. Couple that with a manager who should never have been given the job then we've no chance of making any progress - the Nations League wins against a couple of diddies papered over the cracks.

If the SFA had any sense they would get rid of McLeish and go after someone who can 1.  inspire the players to actually want to play and 2. organise them as best as possible. But they won't.

That said we still should have had enough to scrape a win against Kazakh-fucking-stan.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

With the amount of players pulling out of squads, the squad we have is as awful as it's been since the Vogts era. Couple that with a manager who should never have been given the job then we've no chance of making any progress - the Nations League wins against a couple of diddies papered over the cracks.

If the SFA had any sense they would get rid of McLeish and go after someone who can 1.  inspire the players to actually want to play and 2. organise them as best as possible. But they won't.

Walter Smith had some absolute diddies in his time in charge of Scotland but he still got results.

Kazakhstan will get slaughtered against Russia. Don’t even bother kidding ourselves that they are some sort of team “on the up” and “no mugs”. They are fucking brutal and have won 4 games in the past 10 years. We made them look like Barcelona. It is a deeply, deeply worrying reflection on where we are.

As long as McLeish continues to be the manager, I will not be torturing myself by watching his shit-show team.

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

Walter Smith had some absolute diddies in his time in charge of Scotland but he still got results.

The first 11 he could pick from still walks over what witnessed today.

Gordon, Fletcher, Ferguson, McFadden, Miller in their prime. Even the 40 year old David Weir was better than that shitshow we all witnessed earlier.

Archived