Kazakhstan V Scotland

Enigma

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it so many Scotland fans have such a prejudice against Scots playing in England?

Joe Bryan is an actual left back with hundreds of games of experience and is playing regularly in the Premiership.

He is undoubtedly a better option at left back than an Aberdeen midfielder.

As you say, the team needs balance. An actual left back at left back would be more balanced than a midfielder at left back.

The rest of your post of prejudiced irrelevance.
Graeme Shinnie has played hundreds of games at left-back too, even if he hasn't played there much recently.

Kevin McDonald was a standout player for Fulham last season, and has still featured semi-regularly this season too, but he was by a million miles the worst player in the Nations League campaign.

We should pick players based on their ability to do the job for Scotland, not where they play, how often they play or any of the rest of it.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Joe Bryan play, but his career screams out "jobber" and it's not clear if he even wants to play for Scotland anyway.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We should pick players based on their ability to do the job for Scotland, not where they play, how often they play or any of the rest of it.

Agreed however with 'new' players available to Scotland- whether thats emerging youngsters, seasoned players in form or folk who are suddenly found to be eligible they have to be picked at some stage and given a chance to see whether they have that ability to do the job for Scotland. 

Whilst I haven't seen alot of Joe Bryan either, its perfectly acceptable to me for McLeish to be saying "well this lad is performing well at a high level, he is worth a look to see if he is a better option as 3rd choice left back" (or whatever the vacant position is).

You are right that club form and number of games doesnt always come into it when assessing theor ability to do the job for scotland, look at Alan Hutton when he barely played for 2 years. However at some point of course you have to give new players a chance and a player playing regularly in the premier league is probably worth a look to see if he is potentially than what we have.

Its not always the case as pointed out with Kevin McDonald but I dont think we made the wrong decision giving him a shot. Watching his form for Fulham at the time, he was worthy of having a look at international level. It didnt work out but its very difficult to know that without giving him a chance. 

Eta - I guess thats what professional scouts and coaches are paid to assess before calling someone up!

Hope wee Forrest is up for it today, some player when his confidence is up. Hoping for an Armstrong, McGinn and Mctominay middle three to hopefully inject some life into the team with runs from deep from the first two! 

McDonald is hard evidence that playing at a certain level doesn't make you a better option.  If you compare him to a positional peer, say Calum McGregor, you'd have the Celtic player in the team 100 times out of 100.

Callum McGregor has to start in the middle of the park.  Has to.  Sticking him out wide left or wide right won't get the best out of him.  He's been one of the best players for Celtic over the last two seasons either playing deep when Brown is out, or being that box to box midfielder.

Build the team around McGregor and we'll not go far wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Let's not forget,  Graeme Shinnie is absolutely gorgeous, so he's in my starting 11 for sure. 

With Shinnie, O'Donnell and Armstrong in the squad - even Scott Bain - it could be our best-looking national team ever.

Burke is dragging the average down right enough.

2 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Taking time back from work to watch this. If let down I'll be seething.

Likewise. 

Get a few quid on Kazakhstan/draw to ease the potential pain. #winwin(ordraw)

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Distance from home looking to be a major factor there it seems.  1 call off for games close against England, but 4/8 for games in central/eastern Europe.  Pretty telling.  Just seems strange how players seem to get injured more when they need to fly 3/4 hours to get to a game. 

Dodgy plane seats?

It's not even that long a flight, you're only looking at 2 to 2 hours 30 to Poland, the Baltic nations and Slovakia. All are closer than Portugal or Southern Spain although our media often like to portray it as a journey into the "unknown" or behind the "iron curtain" as if they're all still communist states with little to no facilities when of course the opposite is the case and WE are the bloody backward ones !!

Just now, Aufc said:

Scotland fans really the kings of putting their own players down constantly. Fucking hell

That's true. Any side that we put out should be more than capable of hammering Kazakhstan going by both countries recent international record and the standard of players available to both.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's not even that long a flight, you're only looking at 2 to 2 hours 30 to Poland, the Baltic nations and Slovakia. All are closer than Portugal or Southern Spain although our media often like to portray it as a journey into the "unknown" or behind the "iron curtain" as if they're all still communist states with little to no facilities when of course the opposite is the case and WE are the bloody backward ones !!

Out of interest, which journalist has used the term 'iron curtain' recently?

Archived