Kazakhstan V Scotland

Enigma

This is the only team that makes sense to me. McBurnie has 10 goals in his last 10 games so absolutely gets the nod over Burke. Palmer now appears to be the first choice left back for Sheff Wed and that's certainly not a position we need plenty of bodies in. O'Donnell is slightly better than him defensively imo and is at least tested at International level. As for the rest of the team I think there's no disputing they should be starting. These guys have more than enough to get the job done by a couple of goals at least.

image.png.b1bdd5a59328de988f174e06ad3d9367.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3pm on a Thursday afternoon? No thanks.

International fixtures scheduling seems to have gone massively tits up in the last few years. Obviously time zones doesn't make it easy always but this sort of thing helps no one

It’s this week of football nonsense, it’s that alone that’s killing a lot of International Football, especially in Scotland. I know Albion fans that went to Hampden for years, members of the Queens Park social club etc etc who no longer go because they are fed up of Sun-Thu football, and who can blame them.

I only go on a Fri-Sun myself these days. You can put up with pish football, we support Stirling Albion, we can even put up with the Hampden Experience but not getting home until nearly (or in the bigger games after) midnight then having to get up for work the next morning at 0500, no thank you!

This is the only team that makes sense to me. McBurnie has 10 goals in his last 10 games so absolutely gets the nod over Burke. Palmer now appears to be the first choice left back for Sheff Wed and that's certainly not a position we need plenty of bodies in. O'Donnell is slightly better than him defensively imo and is at least tested at International level. As for the rest of the team I think there's no disputing they should be starting. These guys have more than enough to get the job done by a couple of goals at least.
I'd go for the same team but Souttar in for McKenna who I don't think will make this game.
A 4-3-3 with Armstrong and McGinn either side of McTominay would probably suit the midfield, as both players are suited to a deeper starting point which they can interchange between them.
McGregor can play coming in from the left and is our best option there, but the CBs could be exposed when Tierney pushes high up to provide width; O'Donnell won't sit back like Lustig used to do and McTominay won't give as good defensive support as Brown did.

It's frustrating that the closest McLeish has had to a full squad (McKenna the only absentee) ended in a 4-0 shagging from Belgium.

2 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Bookies give Scotland about a 50% chance of winning this game.   Kazakhstan keep things tight at the back and we're not prolific.    I'll be gambling under 2.5 goals.  

I've not been massively impressed by McBurnie in his previous Scotland appearances, but he hasn't been as bad as Burke constantly overrunning the ball and generally looking lost. McBurnie is rattling in goals in a league where Burke couldn't get a game. Ditto McNulty.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I'd go for the same team but Souttar in for McKenna who I don't think will make this game.
A 4-3-3 with Armstrong and McGinn either side of McTominay would probably suit the midfield, as both players are suited to a deeper starting point which they can interchange between them.
McGregor can play coming in from the left and is our best option there, but the CBs could be exposed when Tierney pushes high up to provide width; O'Donnell won't sit back like Lustig used to do and McTominay won't give as good defensive support as Brown did.

It's frustrating that the closest McLeish has had to a full squad (McKenna the only absentee) ended in a 4-0 shagging from Belgium.

Peter Grant said that McKenna should make it.

6 hours ago, parsforlife said:

International fixtures scheduling seems to have gone massively tits up in the last few years. Obviously time zones doesn't make it easy always but this sort of thing helps no one

Speak for yourself.  10pm ko here.  Loving it.  This will be the first time my son will be able to watch a live Scotland game.

15 hours ago, parsforlife said:

What's the alternative here?

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not sure the SFA have the power to negotiate that.

They can at least barter UEFA to ensure that all games kick off at European friendly time. Get the Kazakhs telt that if they want to play with the Europeans they'll need to have their home games kicking off in the wee hours local time.

11 minutes ago, Donathan said:

They can at least barter UEFA to ensure that all games kick off at European friendly time. Get the Kazakhs telt that if they want to play with the Europeans they'll need to have their home games kicking off in the wee hours local time.

I'm not sure if you're at the wind up here, but that's a tremendously awful suggestion.

17 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Option A.

Option B, play these sort of games on weekends.

Option A isn't for us to decide.

Option B isn't workable when you consider Kazakhstan play Russia on Sunday at home, so they'd be playing Saturday and Sunday.  

3pm probably isn't ideal for us fans watching on the telly, but for the players, staff and fans actually attending the game it makes complete sense. I'm quite looking forward to it though - Sky set to record, phone off at 3pm, clock out at 5pm, bag of cans at 5:15pm, start watching the match by 5.30pm, bag of cans finished and our qualification dreams in tatters by 7:30pm.

Archived