The League 1 Squeaky Bum Battle

Who will be automatically relegated?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now that the games in hand are caught up  is it worth projecting how the final 5 games will play out?....
Stenhousemuir
H to Raith - Lose (0 points)
A to Airdrie - Draw (1 point)
H to Forfar - Lose (0 points)
H to East Fife - Win (3 points)
A to Brechin - Lose (0 points)
Stranraer
H to Forfar - Lose (0 points)
A to Raith - Lose (0 points)
H to Brechin - Draw (1 point)
A to Dumbarton - Draw (1 point)
H to Airdrie - Lose (0 points)
Brechin
A to Dumbarton - Lose (0 points)
H to Arbroath - Lose (0 points)
A to Stranraer - Draw (1 point)
A to Raith - Lose (0 points)
H to Stenhousemuir - Win (3 points)
Dumbarton
H to Brechin - Win (3 points)
A to Forfar - Lose (0 points)
H to East Fife - Win (3 points)
H to Stranraer - Draw (1 point)
A to Arbroath - Win (3 points)
Final standings:
Dumbarton 45 points
Brechin 38 points
Stranraer 35 points
Stenhousemuir 35 points

Dumbarton I can see pulling away, compared to the other’s fixtures they have no Raith and no Arbroath until the league will be decided.
Therefore I can see the other 3 all sitting on 35 points going into the final day....
Can see us being relegated due to our horrendous negative goal difference racked up earlier in the season. Reckon it comes down to being away on the last day, reverse that fixture and there’s a chance we stay up but having Brechin have that last day shootout momentum/potential big crowd etc. at home could swing it.
Stranraer I see picking up the least points in the run-in but hanging on for the play-off spot due to something having to give in Brechin vs Warriors final day. 
Brechin I don’t see doing well points wise at all until that crucial last day. Just think the home advantage in the “shoot-out” final day be massive for them. 
Hope i’m wrong! Game on!....

Can see an invite to replace Shaughan McGuigan on a View from the Terrace coming up [emoji6]

36 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Airdrie, Dumbarton and Stranraer all safe after today’s results - and now battling with East Fife for fifth spot. Next week's game between Brechin and Stenhousemuir close to a relegation decider.

IMG_0033.jpg

Stenny v Brechin is the last game of the season, not next week. 

Technically the final position will be decided by that game regardless of what happens next week (Raith v Brechin & Stenny v East Fife).

giphy.gif

Only way the epic will be avoided is if we beat Raith at Starks and Stenny lose at home to East Fife as  Stenny would then need to beat us by at least 10  goals.  Can't see us beating Raith though, but one can dream...

Edited by Hedgecutter

8 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

A very simplistic and somewhat misguided view of how our club experienced their season in the championship. 

Firstly we just sneaked into the play offs with an average squad of players who peaked at the right time after losing more games than they won throughout a pretty turgid  season.  

Yes, I remember that. 

And thinking to myself at the time... "What.., where did they come from ? How did they do that..?".

58 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Stenny v Brechin is the last game of the season, not next week. 

Technically the final position will be decided by that game regardless of what happens next week (Raith v Brechin & Stenny v East Fife).

giphy.gif

Only way the epic will be avoided is if we beat Raith at Starks and Stenny lose at home to East Fife as  Stenny would then need to beat us by at least 10  goals.  Can't see us beating Raith though, but one can dream...

Given the fixtures next week and the likely results the final game looks like being an absolute belter with winner takes 9th. It's effectively a play-off for the play-off, if either side stays up after that plus 4 play-off games they will have deserved it!

This league is always tight but this year from ourselves down to 10th there has really been nothing in it at all. I still have no idea how there are 4 sides beneath us, 2 mini runs of form amongst a season of dross have saved us. I reckon we'll lose our last two and ultimately have avoided relegation by a couple of points in the end. We have dodged a bullet this year.

1 hour ago, Christophe said:

In Brechin’s hands now due to the GD, we can win the last two and still not get out of 10th

Errr, no way you will finish 10th if you win the last 2 games. You play Brechin on the last day.........

Edited by scott666

4 hours ago, scott666 said:

Errr, no way you will finish 10th if you win the last 2 games. You play Brechin on the last day.........

Haha, my heads mince after today. Think what I was meaning was we can still beat Brechin and remain in 10th if they make points on us next week! I think, or maybe I meant..i dunno....shut up!

Clinging to Raith being a better team than East Fife for next weeks games, we can’t go away to Brechin on the last day with that goal difference in play. I said going into the last 5 that home to East Fife was probably our best chance of 3 points, it’s vitally important now.

Edited by Christophe

Just looking ahead at my work schedule for the playoffs to see what I could make...the semi-final first legs are dated as 7/8th May...will there be one from each division on each night or is it up to the clubs? I can make a Tuesday game that week but not Wednesday. Just trying to work out how likely it is for the 7th (which you imagine would be any given club’s preference) or is it going to be 50/50?

Thank goodness we are now safe to continue our long service award in League 1. I did think 40 points would be enough but thanks to other posters I accepted 43 as the better target. We still have not reached it and indeed we are only one point better off than the dross of last season ( If we lose the next two) which shows how depressing this "fantastic" season has been. To fail to reach the 4th spot is surely a condemnation of that squad and the first management period. Still, the Jury is out on Murray's performance. I accept that our optimism was unwise and the other teams were better for much of it. this probably also applies to Dumbarton and over the last quarter, East Fife. I do hope we reduce the Angus trips by a few more and Forfar do a Brechin and go up. As to Brechin I would settle for them surviving as we fail to cope with Stenny.