Aberdeen v Livingston

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at game 1st half but decided to watch second half at home due to fact was soaked and freezing.Tv does not tell how horrendous conditions were.

Will put this game in dustbin as knew as i was walking to the stadium prior i was  unlikely to see a good game in that swirling wind and incessant rain. 

So it turned out and don't think fair to overly criticize players in this match .Point was fair.

Rangers and Killie also drawing  best thing about today so as you were move on.

Delighted with that and thoroughly deserved point for us, that’s us now taken points of everyone in the league, brilliant effort. 

Thought it was a fairly even game, we allowed Aberdeen the ball but defended really well, thought we had the better of the 2nd half, very interested to see the disallowed goal again, too far away but going by the reaction must’ve been close. 

Sibbald was outstanding, grabbed a goal and broke up countless Aberdeen attacks defo my man of the match, special mention to Brown too, I thought he nullified McClennan really well, given how he tore us apart last time, Brown dealt with him well I thought. 

Top 6 hopes over but didn’t think we were ever in it with Celtic coming up away, aim should be 7th. 

9 minutes ago, ken es said:

Was at game 1st half but decided to watch second half at home due to fact was soaked and freezing.Tv does not tell how horrendous conditions were.

Will put this game in dustbin as knew as i was walking to the stadium prior i was  unlikely to see a good game in that swirling wind and incessant rain. 

So it turned out and don't think fair to overly criticize players in this match .Point was fair.

Rangers and Killie also drawing  best thing about today so as you were move on.

That would be a fair and reasonable post if it wasn't for the fact the goal we conceeded was utterly shocking, and had absolutely nothing to do with the weather. Our goal had nothing to do with the weather.

That said I won't complain about the players, because it's clear they're giving a lot of effort.

I don't even blame McInnes fully (although he has a part to play), I blame the board. They concocted this AberDNA scheme and duped a load of folk (not me) out of their extra cash, and we have zero benefit from it as far as I can see. Instead of adding to the budget, they've used it in place of the budget. In a period of time where we've had a real chance of progressing hugely, we've progressed to a 'comfortable' level and plateaued. That is entirely the boards decision because they are wildly unambitious. You can say all you want about Rangers and their finances, but at least they're giving it a go, and leveraging everything they possibly can. Meanwhile we're treading water, and letting teams with a fraction of our budget beat or draw with us.

I'll put my head above the parapet here, and say we'll sell McKenna this summer, for half of what he's worth, and absolutely f**k all will go to McInnes' budget.

And before anyone says 'raging', 'riled', or 'triggered', you're fucking damn right I am.

That said, well played to Livingston, a properly hard working effective team. They bring a lot more to the league than certain others.

Anyone could have managed Aberdeen to a win over Livingston given the huge gulf in resources, at home too.

Surely McInnes must go...
Didn't we draw with your lot already this season.....sit doon son, yer embarrassing yerself
Delighted with that and thoroughly deserved point for us, that’s us now taken points of everyone in the league, brilliant effort. 
Thought it was a fairly even game, we allowed Aberdeen the ball but defended really well, thought we had the better of the 2nd half, very interested to see the disallowed goal again, too far away but going by the reaction must’ve been close. 
Sibbald was outstanding, grabbed a goal and broke up countless Aberdeen attacks defo my man of the match, special mention to Brown too, I thought he nullified McClennan really well, given how he tore us apart last time, Brown dealt with him well I thought. 
Top 6 hopes over but didn’t think we were ever in it with Celtic coming up away, aim should be 7th. 
Thought brown was pretty poor against McClennan...only when Aberdeen moved McClennan, firstly inside then onto the opposite wing, did brown really look comfortable. He's quite clearly a centre half playing out of position and was caught out too easily for the goal I thought. Much like most of the team he improved second half. I was amazed Aberdeen moved McClennan tbh...he had brown beat every time

13 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Didn't we draw with your lot already this season.....sit doon son, yer embarrassing yerselfThought brown was pretty poor against McClennan...only when Aberdeen moved McClennan, firstly inside then onto the opposite wing, did brown really look comfortable. He's quite clearly a centre half playing out of position and was caught out too easily for the goal I thought. Much like most of the team he improved second half. I was amazed Aberdeen moved McClennan tbh...he had brown beat every time

Think that’s a bit harsh, think he done a job on McLennan and that’s why they moved him. 

The goal he’s unlucky, slipped trying to block the cross, as you say he is a centre back playing out of position, he hasn’t really played at this level before so for those reasons thought he done a decent job. 

I was amazed Aberdeen moved McClennan tbh...he had brown beat every time

I thought the same. When a game is crying out to be stretched and we need to get behind a tight defence, it’s frustrating to see wingers/wide mids being posted on the flank that inevitably leads to them both cutting inside onto their stronger foot. We finished the game with left footed Stewart wide right, and, right footed McLennan wide left. Struggling to recall a single cross from either in those positions.

I don't even blame McInnes fully (although he has a part to play), I blame the board. They concocted this AberDNA scheme and duped a load of folk (not me) out of their extra cash, and we have zero benefit from it as far as I can see. Instead of adding to the budget, they've used it in place of the budget. In a period of time where we've had a real chance of progressing hugely, we've progressed to a 'comfortable' level and plateaued. That is entirely the boards decision because they are wildly unambitious. You can say all you want about Rangers and their finances, but at least they're giving it a go, and leveraging everything they possibly can. Meanwhile we're treading water, and letting teams with a fraction of our budget beat or draw with us.

McInnes isn’t blameless though. In relative terms he has had significant money to spend. Two of his recent “big” signings that cost a sizeable fee have been flops(May and Forrester). Couple that with the loans that just have not worked out (Wilson and Stewart), and we have witnessed a notable investment being squandered.

Think that’s a bit harsh, think he done a job on McLennan and that’s why they moved him. 
The goal he’s unlucky, slipped trying to block the cross, as you say he is a centre back playing out of position, he hasn’t really played at this level before so for those reasons thought he done a decent job. 
Think he was left quite isolated against McClennan and struggled but second half he coped much better as he had a bit of support from midfield, namely Lawson tracking back better.
I thought the same. When a game is crying out to be stretched and we need to get behind a tight defence, it’s frustrating to see wingers/wide mids being posted on the flank that inevitably leads to them both cutting inside onto their stronger foot. We finished the game with left footed Stewart wide right, and, right footed McLennan wide left. Struggling to recall a single cross from either in those positions.
It completely nullified your best player...I wasn't complaining

2 hours ago, Romeo said:

Anyone could have managed Aberdeen to a win over Livingston given the huge gulf in resources, at home too.

Surely McInnes must go...

Anyone could've managed Celtic to a win over Livingston given the huge gulf in resources.

Surely Rodgers must... oh wait.. you already had your meltdown over that

57 minutes ago, bpdon said:

McInnes isn’t blameless though. In relative terms he has had significant money to spend. Two of his recent “big” signings that cost a sizeable fee have been flops(May and Forrester). Couple that with the loans that just have not worked out (Wilson and Stewart), and we have witnessed a notable investment being squandered.

As I said, he has to take some blame. However, in terms of relative budget, we're exactly where we 'should be' in the league table. It would be great to have a manager that could consistently have us punching above our weight, but those managers are very hard to come by, and very hard to keep a hold of. I know that kind of goes against my earlier statement of being unambitious and accepting the plateau, but ambition has to be reconciled with reality. We're very unlikely to get a manager who can produce the level and consistency that McInnes has, and also the loyalty he's shown.

Well done to the Livi boys for effort in horrendous conditions. 

I wasn't a Lawson fan but he's come on to a game. Keaghan was back to his old self breaking up play and charging on. Robinson worked tirelessly up front on his own. I'm glad for Sibbald that he's taking his chance. I always admired him at Falkirk. 

I'm with Hooch on Brown. He just isn't as good as our other defenders. I'll be glad when Lammie is back.

No idea if Gallagher was offside. From where I was you couldn't tell. It just looked like a load of players in the box then the ball in the net 

A wee chance now for injuries to clear up before the Friday night Hibs game.

33 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

By the way, how good was Halkett today? Put the Aberdeen centre backs to shame.

I kept thinking how much we'll miss him.

Gallagher had a good game too.

I hope our scouts are on the lookout. ^_^

1 hour ago, orco said:

I'm with Hooch on Brown. He just isn't as good as our other defenders. I'll be glad when Lammie is back.

I don't think I'd say he's not as good as our defenders. He's a centre back who's been asked to play left wingback and isn't as effective as he might be. He certainly looked the part in the friendly in Portugal when he was playing in his natural position.

Maybe I’m just being blinded by the comparison between the performance when Bobby Burns got torn apart earlier in the season in that very position against the same team and Brown who I thought was very effective, maybe he wasn’t very effective, just better than Burns ? I don’t know. I’m taking into consideration he is out of position to though and thought for the most part he done a decent job up against very tricky opponents. 

12 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Maybe I’m just being blinded by the comparison between the performance when Bobby Burns got torn apart earlier in the season in that very position against the same team and Brown who I thought was very effective, maybe he wasn’t very effective, just better than Burns ? I don’t know. I’m taking into consideration he is out of position to though and thought for the most part he done a decent job up against very tricky opponents. 

I agree with you, Andy. I thought he had a good game against a difficult opponent. As has been said, he is a centre half playing out of position. I don't think people are taking this into account enough.

Well that was as cauld at a football game as I think I've ever felt.

Onto the game,thought the Dons were well worth a half time lead as the first half was coming to a close.

Then out of the blue,sibbs tucks away the cross and its all square.

I was like where did that come from!!

2nd half we were much better and felt confident we would see the game out with something.

Fair play to all the players and supporters from both sides who turned out in that today.

Got to love our all-seated all-covered stadium and its “managed decline”.

Soaked through to the skin by sleety rain and seldom felt as frozen at a match in a long while.

It was hard to get interested in the game - just file it amongst the latest evidence that we have now found a weird formula of away excellence, whilst having little clue what to do when the onus is on us to make the play.

For all Shinnie will be a huge miss in certain games, he can occasionally feel like part of the problem in matches like this.

Well done to Livingston - after looking poor for 40mins - well worth a draw.

Archived