Aberdeen v Livingston

Draw was fair from an absolutely shite game of football. Yes, the conditions were poor but neither team took the ball down and ran with it, which a day like today demanded.

Safe to say Aberdeen are dreadful to watch at home and have no plan to break teams down. The decline in two years has been remarkable.

Brutally cold and fair play to all those hardy souls who held out the whole 90 minutes. Really was a day for staying at home in the warm.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

I agree with you, Andy. I thought he had a good game against a difficult opponent. As has been said, he is a centre half playing out of position. I don't think people are taking this into account enough.

I'm judging him on the he position he's playing. I haven't seen him at centre back. He needs to improve his heading if he is a centre back though. 

Watched the game in the Masada (sensible) and Aberdeen were pretty insipid. No idea what the game plan was. McLennan the only bright spark and it’s clear this Aberdeen is geared to win big games but not to break teams down. The total opposite of what DM’s Aberdeen teams have been. 

Still think Cosgrove is a flash in the pan.

15 hours ago, bpdon said:

McInnes isn’t blameless though. In relative terms he has had significant money to spend. Two of his recent “big” signings that cost a sizeable fee have been flops(May and Forrester). Couple that with the loans that just have not worked out (Wilson and Stewart), and we have witnessed a notable investment being squandered.

Still can’t believe what has happened to Stewart. Should be strolling these games.

Still can’t believe what has happened to Stewart. Should be strolling these games.

He was only on for 10mins at the end - carrying an injury apparently.

On a more general note, failing to make the most of what is clearly a good player isn’t reflecting too well on McInnes.

As I said, he has to take some blame. However, in terms of relative budget, we're exactly where we 'should be' in the league table. It would be great to have a manager that could consistently have us punching above our weight, but those managers are very hard to come by, and very hard to keep a hold of. I know that kind of goes against my earlier statement of being unambitious and accepting the plateau, but ambition has to be reconciled with reality. We're very unlikely to get a manager who can produce the level and consistency that McInnes has, and also the loyalty he's shown.
What is your point then as this completely contradicts your original post.
AFC needed to find alternative funding streams given similar schemes at hearts to help us keep pace and not fall behind. This has been a poor season by recent standards but was always going to come given how our team was aging and leaving, just surprised it wasn't last season. And if this is a bad season then it shows how far McInnes and the board have got us in the last five or six years. We seem to have developed a strain of arrogant entitlement in our support which forgets that for most of history and most of my life time we've been average.

We're a young evolving team, McInnes needs to trust the youngsters more than his increasingly questionable signing policy but he more than deserves to continue ( I know you weren't suggesting he go but many do repeatedly).

6 hours ago, bennett said:

Two defensive counter attacking teams neutralising each other and ending up with a dull draw.

Who'd have guessed that would've happened.

Maybe should check the results of the last 2 games between the sides champ.

On 3/16/2019 at 22:36, BucksburnDandy said:

Draw was fair from an absolutely shite game of football. Yes, the conditions were poor but neither team took the ball down and ran with it, which a day like today demanded.

Safe to say Aberdeen are dreadful to watch at home and have no plan to break teams down. The decline in two years has been remarkable.

Brutally cold and fair play to all those hardy souls who held out the whole 90 minutes. Really was a day for staying at home in the warm.

It doesn't surprise me the decline when you lost quality players like Hayes, Jack, McLean, Christie. Next season could get worse when Shinnie and GMS will be leaving and it is difficult to replace quality like that.

Thought the Celtic and Rangers game caught up with us on Saturday in a very poor 2nd half from us. Hopefully get a good rest this week and then kick-on for the Business end of the season.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:37, glasgow-sheep said:

What is your point then as this completely contradicts your original post.
AFC needed to find alternative funding streams given similar schemes at hearts to help us keep pace and not fall behind. This has been a poor season by recent standards but was always going to come given how our team was aging and leaving, just surprised it wasn't last season. And if this is a bad season then it shows how far McInnes and the board have got us in the last five or six years. We seem to have developed a strain of arrogant entitlement in our support which forgets that for most of history and most of my life time we've been average.

We're a young evolving team, McInnes needs to trust the youngsters more than his increasingly questionable signing policy but he more than deserves to continue ( I know you weren't suggesting he go but many do repeatedly).

I agree that AFC have to find alternative funding as Hibs/Hearts have over 2,000 more fans attending than us - we need to stay ahead of them financially. Sadly the DNA has split the support especially in shortage of away ticket games like Rangers/Hearts/Burnley - the DNA should have less points giving imho. 

I look at the McInnes thing and it really does surprise me how many want him out and I'm not talking those that grew up in the Fergie era but a lot are in the early 20's/early 30's that have never seen us this good before. A few years ago McInnes got criticism for not winning the big games but we have beaten Celtic last season to finish 2nd and this season have beaten Rangers 3 times.

My question for those wanting McInnes out is who do you replace his with?   I don't see anyone better at the moment. 

The commentator seemed convinced that giving Livingston a free kick in their own half was tantamount to presenting then with a really good chance of scoring.  The fact that they then did reflects well on his footballing knowledge.  Most impressive.

Archived