Perth Saints v Paisley Saints

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Jesus Christ man. No source, no reference, no relevance to direction the ball was hit, no relevance to Panenkas, nothing.

Try this: a study of all 459 penalties in the French and Italian leagues 1997-2000, published in 2002, showed 70.1% hit to the right were scored, 76.7% hit to the left were scored, and 81% hit down the middle were scored. It's the first statistically significant study of penalties scored in ordinary play in league matches that I found in the 5 minutes I spent looking. Feel free to look for more. http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/ChiapporiGrosecloseLevitt2002.pdf 

You asked for figures, I showed you figures. Here's the article. Strange hill for you to die on, tbh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.innerdrive.co.uk/sports/penalties-myths-v-facts%3fhs_amp=true

As I say. Doing it by power is a better judge of whether a chip is better than a standard shot, rather than doing it by side, unless you're bizarrely going to claim that central shots solely refer to chipped shots. 

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You asked for figures, I showed you figures. Here's the article. Strange hill for you to die on, tbh.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.innerdrive.co.uk/sports/penalties-myths-v-facts%3fhs_amp=true
As I say. Doing it by power is a better judge of whether a chip is better than a standard shot, rather than doing it by side, unless you're bizarrely going to claim that central shots solely refer to chipped shots. 

I’m with Random on this.
I tried the other guy’s effort but it was as weak as Jackson.

42 minutes ago, andrewh said:

I’m with Random on this.
I tried the other guy’s effort but it was as weak as Jackson.

The first set of figures on power alone, don't take in to account that not all weak penalties are central, let alone chips.

So figures based on power won't give the answer.

Neither will figures based on direction, as plenty of penalties that go down the middle are blasted.

So both posters are wrong :-)

16 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

The first set of figures on power alone, don't take in to account that not all weak penalties are central, let alone chips.

So figures based on power won't give the answer.

Neither will figures based on direction, as plenty of penalties that go down the middle are blasted.

So both posters are wrong :-)

It's not possible to tell that from the evidence. Either way.

It's not exactly a brains trust around here so I'll head off back to more familiar turf.

On 28/03/2019 at 14:12, virginton said:

Saint Mirren fans would rob their own grandmothers to be five points clear of a playoff right now, never mind having a stack of dross teams below them as well to guarantee a midtable finish. So really not 'ballsy' as much as 'understanding how a league table works' then.

?width=340&version=944591 

On 3/28/2019 at 14:12, virginton said:

Saint Mirren fans would rob their own grandmothers to be five points clear of a playoff right now, never mind having a stack of dross teams below them as well to guarantee a midtable finish. So really not 'ballsy' as much as 'understanding how a league table works' then.

Oh dear...

Archived