Is Civil War a Possibility?

Watching interviews on TV around Brexit it's obvious that there's a massive number of a certain type of person who wants Brexit to happen.  I don't think it takes much imagination to link their views to the rabble-rousing Mail and Express headlines around the matter.  I don't want to start another Brexit thread but I wondered how they would respond to a scenario where there is a second referendum and the country votes to Remain (and I don't want this to be a discussion of how likely that is, just a "what if").

Do you think there is the possibility of massive public unrest, fuelled by the "newspapers" above, turning into something much more serious with fighting in the street and other acts of violence and spinning out of control or are is the country as a whole capable of dealing with it in a civilised manner?  It didn't happen with the result of the original referendum but I'm not so sure that we're dealing with the same type of person here.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who voted Brexit talk a good game about the government delivering it "or else" but these people are all talk and will do what they're told by the very newspapers that manipulated them into voting in the 1st place.

So no is your answer.

11 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Watching interviews on TV around Brexit it's obvious that there's a massive number of a certain type of person who wants Brexit to happen.  I don't think it takes much imagination to link their views to the rabble-rousing Mail and Express headlines around the matter.  I don't want to start another Brexit thread but I wondered how they would respond to a scenario where there is a second referendum and the country votes to Remain (and I don't want this to be a discussion of how likely that is, just a "what if").

Do you think there is the possibility of massive public unrest, fuelled by the "newspapers" above, turning into something much more serious with fighting in the street and other acts of violence and spinning out of control or are is the country as a whole capable of dealing with it in a civilised manner?  It didn't happen with the result of the original referendum but I'm not so sure that we're dealing with the same type of person here.

It'd be a fairly quick civil war tbh.  The cardio capability of the Brexit mob appears to be in need of a bit of work.

Newspaper rhetoric and politician sabre rattling will end up resulting in one or two horrendous Jo Cox type incidents. At which time those same newspapers and politicians will tone it down and distance themselves from blame. Thats about as bad as it will get. 

It will though. I think inflammatory language used by people in positions of power ie politics and media has a bit to answer for in terms of the way in which people (this is a football board so lets use football as an example) can do and say what the f**k they want these days. 

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Civil War will be confined to social media's keyboard warriors.

I'm not so sure.  The people I'm talking about read tabloids, not social media.  And, by the way, I'm not saying all Brexiteers are of a rough disposition but I am saying that it looks like there's a large proportion who are and they could be mobilised by a banner headline or two.

I mentioned this on the Brexit thread previously, but an old moron at my work (coincidentally a ***) said there would be war if brexit is cancelled. I asked who exactly would be at war and with whom they’d be fighting. “The people” was his reply. I’m not entirely sure he even knew what he was saying.

Strange man.

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

I mentioned this on the Brexit thread previously, but an old moron at my work (coincidentally a ***) said there would be war if brexit is cancelled. I asked who exactly would be at war and with whom they’d be fighting. “The people” was his reply. I’m not entirely sure he even knew what he was saying.

Strange man.

Fighting themselves?

I think there will be widespread rioting/looting in major cities after Brexit if it's a no deal. Bring it on, imo.
U in Glasgow m8? Since the trains will no doubt be off can you get me a Samsung S10 and il square you up once the heat dies down

Archived