Clyde Vs Stirling Albion

25 minutes ago, David W said:

Stirling are a strange one given the size of the club and attendances. Their goalkeeper played well, Jardine is a good player and MacDonald always bullies McNiff, but you'd not really separate them out from a Cowdenbeath or QP. Definitely played well enough in the first part of the match without being particularly frightening but when we stepped things up, brought on a couple of good substitutes, the game went away from them completely.

The first half was one of the sloppiest performances that Clyde have produced in some time. Really weird choices of pass, and worse execution, summed up right on half-time when Lamont played a through ball that wasn't within 30 yards of another Clyde shirt. No-one will ever be able to convince me that starting Love up front with Goodwillie is a good idea. The goal was heavily deflected but credit to Currie for a terrific kick-out that set Goodwillie away and led to the corner kick. Apart from that, one excellent save from Ferrie to deny Grant, whilst McNiff cleared off the line after Rumsby/Currie messed up a long ball.

The second half started with Love blootering the ball straight out of play and when Stirling equalised with a free header, they probably looked favourites to go on and win, especially when Love missed a clear one-on-one. Fortunately, we brought on Banks/Syvertsen and they stopped bothering to mark Goodwillie. Two or three excellent chances to score were missed before McNiff finally bounced a header into the net from a corner kick. The unfortunate injury to Jardine tied up the points, and we finally netted a third when Rankin finished after Syvertsen did some futsal tricks.

A fair few wobbly performances today; McNiff, Rumsby, Currie. Good to have Cuddihy back. Love, if you take out the few goals he's scored, has offered nothing in a Clyde jersey and Syvertsen must surely start on Tuesday.  McStay abysmal first half, good after the break. Grant more non-existent than poor in the first half, better after the break and excellent at left-back. Rankin and Goodwillie our best two.

Great to have a team that can get kicked about emotionally and bounce back with a good win. Play-off spot could be tied up by next Saturday.

Agree with most of that, only thing I don't agree with is Rumsby and Currie were wobbly at all, I thought Rumsby was solid for the full 90 minutes and I have no clue what made Currie wobbly, never had much to do ,looked composed and  never spilled or dropped anything all day.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bulstrode said:
20 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:
I sit close by The Clyde Choir and wouldn't blindly defend them but I heard nothing that was in any way worthy of any criticism.  In fact I think all Clyde fans gave the lad a very warm and respectful tribute on his exit.
This is not related to my reply but I thought Stirling were particularly nasty today and the inept referee offered no protection today.  Stewart was booked for nothing more than a minor obstruction then the Stirling defender was not even spoken to for an assault on Lamont(?) On the far side.  They repeatedly left the boot in and McStay and Rumsby were luck not be injured.  All a bit unnecessary from one of the better cubs in league 2.

The morons that I referred to sit behind the opposition dugout and know everything about match officials and visiting management teams, i.e. they know the square root of hee-haw and are an embarrassment to Clyde f.c.

Didn't hear them and wouldn't endorse such garbage. Still think Stirling were dirty...

5 minutes ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

Agree with most of that, only thing I don't agree with is Rumsby and Currie were wobbly at all, I thought Rumsby was solid for the full 90 minutes and I have no clue what made Currie wobbly, never had much to do ,looked composed and  never spilled or dropped anything all day.

I am Currie's biggest fan but he messed up the one that McNiff ended up clearing off the line in the first half (although perhaps did well to not handle outside the box), and he also dropped a cross under very little pressure in the second.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Didn't hear them and wouldn't endorse such garbage. Still think Stirling were dirty...

From what you’ve said, I was sitting in the same area as you and, as you said, the fans were respectful to the fact that the guy was in obvious distress. 

I wasn’t surprised though when it was said that the comments mentioned were from behind the away dugout. It’s been mentioned in the past more than once. 

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Oh, and I agree that Stirling players left the boot in on a few occasions. The one on Lamont in particular was nasty. 

Oh, and I agree that Stirling players left the boot in on a few occasions. The one on Lamont in particular was nasty. 
The tackle was a bad one that could've really hurt Lamont.

Strangely the referee didn't even give a foul.

8 minutes ago, David W said:

I am Currie's biggest fan but he messed up the one that McNiff ended up clearing off the line in the first half (although perhaps did well to not handle outside the box), and he also dropped a cross under very little pressure in the second.

Except he did handle it outside the box. Lucky to get away with it. That said, great 3 points and feeling a lot more optimistic about things - I hope Clyde fans turn up on Tuesday night in decent numbers. This team deserve a noisy support and there's still an outside chance we could win this bloody league if Peterhead self destruct. 

4 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Peaso put in a nasty one on Rankin too. 

Peaso is a chubby rat. Stirling's number 2 was also a horrible little character. It's a minor miracle they managed to get through the game without a sending off but with Mr Dickinson in charge, it's perhaps not a complete surprise. Dick by name an' all that...

4 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Except he did handle it outside the box. Lucky to get away with it. That said, great 3 points and feeling a lot more optimistic about things - I hope Clyde fans turn up on Tuesday night in decent numbers. This team deserve a noisy support and there's still an outside chance we could win this bloody league if Peterhead self destruct. 

I also thought Currie handled outside the box. He had 2 or 3 bombscare moments today. 

16 minutes ago, sydney said:

I also thought Currie handled outside the box. He had 2 or 3 bombscare moments today. 

Aye, had a fairly decent view of it and I'm certain he did handle it outside. Thankfully, as much as the near side linesman screwed us over a few times, his ineptitude also worked in our favour. There was also a handball by us inside the box at 1-0 which he and the ref either missed or chose to ignore. Would not have complained had a penalty been given.

1 minute ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Ball went out for a throw in and he punted it away. Got sent to the stand for it

Did he deliberately boot it away or did he just miscalculate his kick? I'm guessing if it's the latter, he'll accept the ref's interpretation of events.

43 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Aye, had a fairly decent view of it and I'm certain he did handle it outside. Thankfully, as much as the near side linesman screwed us over a few times, his ineptitude also worked in our favour. There was also a handball by us inside the box at 1-0 which he and the ref either missed or chose to ignore. Would not have complained had a penalty been given.

The one in the first half was never a penalty. Stirling player hit the ball of the Clyde players arm from a yard away. 

19 minutes ago, sydney said:

The one in the first half was never a penalty. Stirling player hit the ball of the Clyde players arm from a yard away. 

Aye, fair enough. I wouldn't have been too surprised had it been given though. 

Archived