Clyde Vs Stirling Albion

Not the brightest first half ever. Taking Goodwillie, who has played well, out of the equation, I think it's impossible to rank the other ten in terms of sloppiness.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comfortable win really, not our best performance at all and a terribly poor goal to lose but on the other hand, Ferrie had three or four good saves for Stirling and we had another one off the line.

Syvertsen was much more effective than Love was today. I’d be inclined to start the front line that finished the game on Tuesday night (which I’ll sadly miss).

Strange atmosphere today, the freezing cold and late confirmation of the game being on wouldn’t have helped but it almost felt like a midweek game.

Thought Lennon's subs did the trick. As mentioned above Ally Love offered very little. Have to see the offside call again. 

Nice finish by Rankin to finish off the visitors

Guest The Phoenix

@Forthbank_News   

Update on @Stirling_Albion Danny Jardine: conscious and communicating but on his way to hospital as a precaution. Thanks to the @ClydeFC Doctor and the First Aiders for their prompt and efficient attention. Further update later this evening.

Sour note for me was the comments made by the handful of poltroons when Jardine was receiving treatment. KR was rightly incensed and they were fortunate he only called them b*****ds rather than confront them physically
If he had they'd have shat themselves. This is the same collection of odious morons who constantly berate match officials and opposition benches yet never support their team.

Strange game; at the time watching I thought we were struggling at times, but on reflection we could hsve ran out 5 or 6 one today. Albion keeper made 3 fantastic saves and I think one off the line too.

Not our best performance, we struggled to match Stirling’s physically at times and the Ref particularly in the first half with some bizarre decisions although he did settle down a bit in the second half. Sending Moore to the stand was as I say one of his bizarre  and pointless decisions. 

Subs made big difference and we eventually finished much stronger as Stirling ran out of steam. Goodwillie could have had a hat trick today!  End of the day we have just have to keep going and see what happens.

Peaso still a class act at whatever age he is, essentially played up front as Stirling’s only option up top. Was pretty physical today which was a change from I’ve seen before but has been a terrific player over the year.

Just now, FREDDYFRY said:

Goodwillie could have had a hat trick today!  

Top player but seriously how many chances is this guy missing? He should be on about 30 goals not 13

Pleasing result and gets the wheels back in motion...

Wasnt there today due to simply pissed off and in the huff about last saturday news but do agree with previous post that peason is a class act & he should ALWAYS be rememered (with JP of course) for picking up from Ferguson,Bringing in a two very good players from his contacts at dundee and most of all securing our league status and perhaps future of the club as wouldnt have fancied some of that shite to get us through a play off..

Saturdays feel good again[emoji106]

Must be honest and say that in the end, it could of been worse and Clyde were good for the win, days like today just remind me how lucky we are to have Calum Ferrie.

I thought until we scored that a draw would of been a fair result, although the atmosphere was a bit flat, I thought both teams kind of cancelled each other out, however once we scored the equaliser, Clyde up a gear or two and brushed us aside with little difficulty and, as I stated above, of it wasn’t for the heroics of Ferrie then it could of been 5 or 6.

It’s another game gone that we just didn’t offer anything in an attacking sense, I don’t think anyone could be accused of not trying but we simply don’t have enough about us as a team, when Darren Smith is out.

I though Neil McLaughlin was blowing out his backside during the First Half and offered little, and only Jardine and Thomson were able to find good space, but lacked composure and rushed the pass or cross.

Once the 2nd goal went in, we decided to launch aimless punts up the park, in a hope that Mackin could get onto something, but it was terrible service and us scraping the bottom of the barrel with ideas. Was this the result of the team just wanting to end the match after the horrible injury to Jardine or the fact we were seeing out the game with 10 men, quite possibly, so they need to be given the benefit of the doubt, but it was clear KR wasn’t impressed.

As I said above, I hope Jardine is ok, you stop caring about a football match when you see someone having to be stretchered off on a spinal board, even more so when it’s someone as popular as Danny.

It was evident a few months ago that the squad just isn’t good enough and today was another showing of just that. I’m sure KR now knows who he wants to keep and who is free to go, but I’m hoping it’s a big clear out again and that maybe only another 1 or 2 players are offered new deals, to add to those that have already re-signed. Clyde had gears to go through and had the quality that we simply lack, you always felt that we were playing at our maximum and that the team would run out of steam.

Despite the 1st goal taking a deflection, the marking for the first 2 goals was appalling and for years now, and with changing players, we’ve just never looked comfortable dealing with cross balls.

Final world for today, what was Allan Moore up to? That was just silly and him not leaving the field was a little cringeworthy.

42 minutes ago, Bulstrode said:

Sour note for me was the comments made by the handful of poltroons when Jardine was receiving treatment. KR was rightly incensed and they were fortunate he only called them b*****ds rather than confront them physically
If he had they'd have shat themselves. This is the same collection of odious morons who constantly berate match officials and opposition benches yet never support their team.

That’s a poor show. It was clear the guy was in real trouble so no idea why anyone would feel the need to make inappropriate comments. Embarrassing really. I didn’t hear anything around us but we were up the other end. Everyone around us clapped him off the park. Unfortunately some people clearly shouldn’t be allowed out. Hope the boys ok. 

Stirling are a strange one given the size of the club and attendances. Their goalkeeper played well, Jardine is a good player and MacDonald always bullies McNiff, but you'd not really separate them out from a Cowdenbeath or QP. Definitely played well enough in the first part of the match without being particularly frightening but when we stepped things up, brought on a couple of good substitutes, the game went away from them completely.

The first half was one of the sloppiest performances that Clyde have produced in some time. Really weird choices of pass, and worse execution, summed up right on half-time when Lamont played a through ball that wasn't within 30 yards of another Clyde shirt. No-one will ever be able to convince me that starting Love up front with Goodwillie is a good idea. The goal was heavily deflected but credit to Currie for a terrific kick-out that set Goodwillie away and led to the corner kick. Apart from that, one excellent save from Ferrie to deny Grant, whilst McNiff cleared off the line after Rumsby/Currie messed up a long ball.

The second half started with Love blootering the ball straight out of play and when Stirling equalised with a free header, they probably looked favourites to go on and win, especially when Love missed a clear one-on-one. Fortunately, we brought on Banks/Syvertsen and they stopped bothering to mark Goodwillie. Two or three excellent chances to score were missed before McNiff finally bounced a header into the net from a corner kick. The unfortunate injury to Jardine tied up the points, and we finally netted a third when Rankin finished after Syvertsen did some futsal tricks.

A fair few wobbly performances today; McNiff, Rumsby, Currie. Good to have Cuddihy back. Love, if you take out the few goals he's scored, has offered nothing in a Clyde jersey and Syvertsen must surely start on Tuesday.  McStay abysmal first half, good after the break. Grant more non-existent than poor in the first half, better after the break and excellent at left-back. Rankin and Goodwillie our best two.

Great to have a team that can get kicked about emotionally and bounce back with a good win. Play-off spot could be tied up by next Saturday.

46 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Top player but seriously how many chances is this guy missing? He should be on about 30 goals not 13

Take your point but the Stirling keeper today made 3 incredible saves

After making really hard work of the first hour of the game, we could in the end have scored have won by 4 of 5. Goodwillie could have had a hat trick but for some really good saves. 

Poor crowd today, probably due to the weather and late confirmation of the game being on. Very subdued atmosphere too. With Annan now not far behind and winning, it was a game we needed to win. 

Good to score than one goal in a game too. A wee while since we’ve done that. 

1 hour ago, Bulstrode said:

I sit close by The Clyde Choir and wouldn't blindly defend them but I heard nothing that was in any way worthy of any criticism.  In fact I think all Clyde fans gave the lad a very warm and respectful tribute on his exit.

This is not related to my reply but I thought Stirling were particularly nasty today and the inept referee offered no protection.  Stewart was booked for nothing more than a minor obstruction then the Stirling defender was not even spoken to for an assault on Lamont(?) On the far side.  They repeatedly left the boot in and McStay and Rumsby were luck not be injured.  All a bit unnecessary from one of the (allegedly )better cubs in league 2.

I sit close by The Clyde Choir and wouldn't blindly defend them but I heard nothing that was in any way worthy of any criticism.  In fact I think all Clyde fans gave the lad a very warm and respectful tribute on his exit.
This is not related to my reply but I thought Stirling were particularly nasty today and the inept referee offered no protection today.  Stewart was booked for nothing more than a minor obstruction then the Stirling defender was not even spoken to for an assault on Lamont(?) On the far side.  They repeatedly left the boot in and McStay and Rumsby were luck not be injured.  All a bit unnecessary from one of the better cubs in league 2.
The morons that I referred to sit behind the opposition dugout and know everything about match officials and visiting management teams, i.e. they know the square root of hee-haw and are an embarrassment to Clyde f.c.

Archived