Celtic v Aberdeen, Scottish Cup Semi Final

Flybhoy

I’ve read a few fairly stupid posts on social media tonight from Aberdeen fans moaning about the conspiracy of the SFA against everyone apart from Celtic and Rangers. In the cold light of the evening, you have to say that Craig Thompson had a fairly decent game. The contentious decisions were almost all right. 

First yellow to Ball was not a yellow, but these have been given before.

Second yellow to Ball a bit harsh, and loads of referees wouldn’t have given it to keep 22 players on the Park in the first half. No worse than Boyata in our last visit to Hampden .

Red for Ferguson was correct.

Penalty was correct.

I thought that Thompson could have shown some respect to Derek McInnes in coming over to him to explain why he was being sent to the stand.

I would always rather be in semi finals and finals and lose, than not getting there at all. Enjoy my days out.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To anyone claiming it was a 50/50, straight from Sportscene. Ball didn't have to challenge. Hopefully Christie isn't out for too long. 20190414_234239.jpg.aa23a20802abc110c2bf64ea70baa351.jpg

Want me to get a still picture of the Boyata challenge. Or the Scott Brown stamp last week. Or a multitude of other still images from various games ?

Play a still image from a millisecond after this and Ball is off the ground and committed.

I’ve read a few fairly stupid posts on social media tonight from Aberdeen fans moaning about the conspiracy of the SFA against everyone apart from Celtic and Rangers. In the cold light of the evening, you have to say that Craig Thompson had a fairly decent game. The contentious decisions were almost all right. 
First yellow to Ball was not a yellow, but these have been given before.
Second yellow to Ball a bit harsh, and loads of referees wouldn’t have given it to keep 22 players on the Park in the first half. No worse than Boyata in our last visit to Hampden .
Red for Ferguson was correct.
Penalty was correct.
I thought that Thompson could have shown some respect to Derek McInnes in coming over to him to explain why he was being sent to the stand.
I would always rather be in semi finals and finals and lose, than not getting there at all. Enjoy my days out.

We were shite. Totally and utterly shite. But Thompson and his officials had a shocker.
Were you at the game ?

How many offsides in the 1st half weren’t given ?

Was it a penalty ? Not seen any replays but looked like Hayes went down very easily. (Happy to be proved wrong)

Ball’s first booking was for “persistent fouling” but he hadn’t committed any. Yet Ajer fouled throughout the game, unpunished.

Edouard had a swipe at Lewis and also pushed Considine off the ball, not even a talking too.

Add that to the fact they hadn’t a clue what to do when the ball boy didn’t let the ball run out....

Anyone got the Boyata challenge everyone keeps referring too? Not seen it.. was it that bad?

When I saw it first I thought it was a harsh second yellow but when ya see it in slow motion it's pretty nasty.. don't think he meant to do him but it's certainly dangerous and by the letter of the law it's a second yellow..  the second red, deserved all day long... 

Celtic are just a level above any other side. Shame Aberdeen resorted to kicking them off the park as they have some decent players.

From the highlights it looked like the correct decisions but I get that when you play the old firm it can seem like they get all the decisions like offsides but imo all the big ones were called correctly.

Anyone got the Boyata challenge everyone keeps referring too? Not seen it.. was it that bad?
When I saw it first I thought it was a harsh second yellow but when ya see it in slow motion it's pretty nasty.. don't think he meant to do him but it's certainly dangerous and by the letter of the law it's a second yellow..  the second red, deserved all day long... 

Want me to get a still picture of the Boyata challenge. Or the Scott Brown stamp last week. Or a multitude of other still images from various games ?

Play a still image from a millisecond after this and Ball is off the ground and committed.
Just a response to those saying it was a 50/50 which it clearly wasn't.

But since you asked for it, here's Boyata and GMS, not the best quality as taken from a video but I don't think there is any comparison.

Today's is a bouncing ball high in the air whilst the LC Final is a ball crossed in with pace. Both went for it and Boyata was late but nowhere near as late as Ball.Screenshot_20190415-001845_Twitter.jpg

20 minutes ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

But since you asked for it, here's Boyata and GMS, not the best quality as taken from a video but I don't think there is any comparison.

Today's is a bouncing ball high in the air whilst the LC Final is a ball crossed in with pace. Both went for it and Boyata was late but nowhere near as late as Ball.Screenshot_20190415-001845_Twitter.jpg

Ahhh yeah that one. 

Thought wee Derek’s interview after the game was spot on. He admitted his retaliation was wrong and he’ll take the punishment whereas nothing will be done about the singing. He isn’t even a proper orange b any way as a proper one would have crawled over broken glass to get the Sevco job and he told them to get tae f**k!

If only you’d got your tactics today as right as that interview, Derek. :unsure2:

Today's is a bouncing ball high in the air whilst the LC Final is a ball crossed in with pace. Both went for it and Boyata was late but nowhere near as late as Ball.Screenshot_20190415-001845_Twitter.jpg.cce402f13b95b8322903e5445cf06964.jpg

So you agree it was late ?

Not a looking for a league table on which one is later.

So if it’s late, Yellow Card and Penalty ? If it was any other part of the body it would be.

Glad that’s cleared up thanks.

Thought wee Derek’s interview after the game was spot on. He admitted his retaliation was wrong and he’ll take the punishment whereas nothing will be done about the singing. He isn’t even a proper orange b any way as a proper one would have crawled over broken glass to get the Sevco job and he told them to get tae f**k!
 If only you’d got your tactics today as right as that interview, Derek. :unsure2:

Genuine question.

Why would your lot choose “Orange B...” and not just settle for a “Sheep Shagging B...” in that song ?

Just now, G-MAN said:

Genuine question.

Why would your lot choose “Orange B...” and not just settle for a “Sheep Shagging B...” in that song ?

Because he played for Rangers at one point I’d imagine. Sad but true.

So you agree it was late ?

Not a looking for a league table on which one is later.

So if it’s late, Yellow Card and Penalty ? If it was any other part of the body it would be.

Glad that’s cleared up thanks.
You directly compared the two so you obviously are seeking similarities.

You also think Thomson and his officials had a shocker today when neutrals and balanced Aberdeen fans in here can look at the game objectively and see you're wrong.

You don't merit a further reply.

Go to your bed.

That's two Scottish Cup semi-finals that have exposed our recent recruitment as nowhere near to being good enough. Big rebuild coming up, with Shinnie, Mackay-Steven and probably McKenna departing, and we can't afford expensive mistakes like Forrester, Gleeson and Wilson again - latter two should be stepping up in situations like this game, but they're total jobbers. 

I thought that neither of Ball's but bookings were definite yellows but I don't think that the ref got them wrong. The annoying thing for me was that they were both completely unnecessary. Hayes had knocked the ball out and the ball was bouncing around the middle of the park. 

What was Devlin thinking? 

What was Lewis thinking? 

Celtic deserved the win, the horrible c***s. I hope we can get the finger out in the league and not be needing them to win the Cup, although on today's form fourth isn't that likely. 

Hopefully Christie isn't to badly injured. 

I don't think that the players or management bottled anything, but we don't have enough strength in depth to cope with 4 of our better players being out. 

7 hours ago, G-MAN said:

We were shite. Totally and utterly shite. But Thompson and his officials had a shocker.
Were you at the game ?

How many offsides in the 1st half weren’t given ?

Was it a penalty ? Not seen any replays but looked like Hayes went down very easily. (Happy to be proved wrong)

Ball’s first booking was for “persistent fouling” but he hadn’t committed any. Yet Ajer fouled throughout the game, unpunished.

Edouard had a swipe at Lewis and also pushed Considine off the ball, not even a talking too.

Add that to the fact they hadn’t a clue what to do when the ball boy didn’t let the ball run out....

See when I said that I enjoy these days out, I felt that made it pretty clear that I was at the game. We were poor, obviously, but until the sending off the game was going along the way that I had predicted it in my head. Get to half time at 0.0 and then have a go second half. Ball’s first booking wasn’t for persistent fouling. Thompson was indicating that he felt that Ball stopped Hayes going round him. I was right above the ball boy incident, and Thompson knew exactly what to do, but he was trying to make sure that the Celtic player put it out for a goal kick. The penalty was obvious as Devlin stood on Hayes foot. Thompson had a decent game if you look at it sensibly, which I admit that I didn’t during the game.

Archived