Celtic v Aberdeen, Scottish Cup Semi Final

Flybhoy

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol: Enjoy those “Trip to Hampden” Trophies and “2nd place” trophies. 

I will Thanks. Not sure where I mentioned trophies though.

Happy to accept we’re just not good enough and enjoy winning games more often than not given the many shite years before DM.

If that doesn’t make me ambitious enough, happy to settle for mediocrity then that’s fine.

My son though, only 10 next week, has been to 3 Cup Finals, 6 Cup Semi Finals so great memories for the wee man. So thanks, we are enjoying ourselves.

It’s the being classless, angry and feeling victimised all the time even when your team wins trophy after trophy that really confuses me. Must be a strange mind to have to live with.

Right. That's more or less what's meant by bottling it. If you weren't getting all these big cup runs and then screwing up at the final hurdles, you wouldn't be bottlers, you'd just be rubbish, like the rest of us!

I think it's harsh to suggest that a team are bottlers for reaching a stage where they lose to superior teams. One could argue that the law of averages suggests that they should get something against them eventually, but that could have been the recent draw at Celtic Park.

Bottling it would consistently being knocked out by similar or lower ranked terms, like Hearts had Aberdeen reached the final. The last few seasons have seen them consistently get past these teams in the various other rounds.

That said, bottling would have been the first Stenny game, this being one where they were under more pressure than normal from their fans to get a result (I was there to hear the grumbling) and they did indeed (initially) bottle it against the League 1 basement boys. Rangers at Ibrox on the other hand was a great one to win, but it doesn't come with the same pressurised expectation. I think that result came as a pleasant surprise to most.

So aye, they're still bottlers, to a certain degree.

11 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

There was the Simunovic sitter early on which was the best chance for either team AND I'd say Tom Rogic is classy.

To be fair, I forgot about that one. Cosgrove's volley and another header from someone, can't remember who... being the only chance from either team until Forrest's goal. I never saw Rogic's goal. Well done for being able to afford a player on at least 6x the budget of our top earner though :thumsup2

10 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

I will Thanks. Not sure where I mentioned trophies though.

Happy to accept we’re just not good enough and enjoy winning games more often than not given the many shite years before DM.

If that doesn’t make me ambitious enough, happy to settle for mediocrity then that’s fine.

My son though, only 10 next week, has been to 3 Cup Finals, 6 Cup Semi Finals so great memories for the wee man. So thanks, we are enjoying ourselves.

It’s the being classless, angry and feeling victimised all the time even when your team wins trophy after trophy that really confuses me. Must be a strange mind to have to live with.

I don't suppose we'll ever find that out...

1 hour ago, NEFarab said:

McInnes says in his interview that Celtic fans giving sectarian abuse. 

Wonder how they’ll cover this one up? 

A fair number of sheep fans felt the song was ok last month when they were aiming it at Gerrard. Awkward....

Posted this before elsewhere, thought I'd update it. Celtic's dominance in domestic cup competitions is absolute. I can't say I'll be making much effort to catch the Scottish Cup final, it would take a miracle to break this run. 

Played 26, won 26, goals for 80, against 6 (six!!! and half of them to Partick Thistle), 22 clean sheets, only 5 games with a one-goal margin, all 26 wins in the 90 minutes and no extra time, penalties or replays required.

Rangers 1-0 2-0 4-0

Aberdeen 3-0 2-1 1-0 3-0

Killie 5-0

Hearts 3-0

Hibs 4-2 2-0

St Johnstone 1-0 5-0

Motherwell 5-0 2-0 2-0

Dundee 4-0

St Mirren 4-0

ICT 6-0

Morton 3-0

Alloa 2-0

Partick 3-2 3-1

Airdrie 3-0

Brechin 5-0

Albion Rvs 3-0

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I think it's harsh to suggest that a team are bottlers for reaching a stage where they lose to superior teams. One could argue that the law of averages suggests that they should get something against them eventually, but that could have been the recent draw at Celtic Park.

Bottling it would consistently being knocked out by similar or lower ranked terms, like Hearts had Aberdeen reached the final. The last few seasons have seen them consistently get past these teams in the various other rounds.

Exactly this. If losing heavily to Celtic automatically implies bottling it, then the whole of Scottish football has been bottling it for years.

Simple fact was that wasn’t good enough.

The first half was going ‘ok’ up until the Dom ball red but we needed to be doing a bit more with the ball.

Ball has let us down, I haven’t seen it again on tv but regardless why on earth is he making that challenge on the halfway line on a booking. He’s an idiot.

From then on we crumbled. Tom English was trying to imply post match that the red card didn’t have that much of an impact but I think that’s nonsense. Ferguson’s looked horrendous from the other end of the ground. No complaints with that or the penalty.

It was such a calamitous day that I’m not even that angry.

When your entire game plan is based on man marking, going a man down fucks you. We were in the game with 11 men. Celtic has few chances and we looked ok. Ball goes off and the game was done. Not much more to say really.

Try and enjoy it Celtic. I know it’s getting boring but please do try. Maybe stay til the end to celebrate next time eh.

Bit of context.

Every non-Glasgow club breaking 70 points in the league since the mid 90s:

2006 Hearts 74 +40

2014 Motherwell 70 +4

2015 Aberdeen 75 +24

2016 Aberdeen 71 +14

2017 Aberdeen 76 +39

2018 Aberdeen 73 +19

Aberdeen almost certainly won't do it this year, though.

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Posted this before elsewhere, thought I'd update it. Celtic's dominance in domestic cup competitions is absolute. I can't say I'll be making much effort to catch the Scottish Cup final, it would take a miracle to break this run. 

Played 26, won 26, goals for 80, against 6 (six!!! and half of them to Partick Thistle), 22 clean sheets, only 5 games with a one-goal margin, all 26 wins in the 90 minutes and no extra time, penalties or replays required.

Rangers 1-0 2-0 4-0

Aberdeen 3-0 2-1 1-0 3-0

Killie 5-0

Hearts 3-0

Hibs 4-2 2-0

St Johnstone 1-0 5-0

Motherwell 5-0 2-0 2-0

Dundee 4-0

St Mirren 4-0

ICT 6-0

Morton 3-0

Alloa 2-0

Partick 3-2 3-1

Airdrie 3-0

Brechin 5-0

Albion Rvs 3-0

They've still to play us.  We'll show them.

Weird on Twitter.

Celtic Fans ganging up on DM for accusing them of being Sectarian.

Then 2 seconds later Lewis Ferguson is a dirty ***. McInnes sends his players out to a injure us cos we’re Kafflicks and he’s a ***.

Deary me.

Archived