Celtic v Aberdeen, Scottish Cup Semi Final

Flybhoy

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone any experience of how the turnstile folks at Hampden will react to someone in their 30s with an adult concession ticket?

Just coz my Dad can’t go and I don’t pal about with that many over 65s.

Why do I have a feeling that Aberdeen could do the most Aberdeen thing here by beating Celtic, stopping the treble treble, continuing our great record in Glasgow this season and setting up they're best chance to win a scottish cup in decades...only to then get bullied by Hearts in the Final.
Either that or we'll just get beat by 1 goal, an Aberdeen Celtic speciality.

21 hours ago, The OP said:

Anyone any experience of how the turnstile folks at Hampden will react to someone in their 30s with an adult concession ticket?

Just coz my Dad can’t go and I don’t pal about with that many over 65s.

Put a bunnet on and don't shave for a couple of days and you'll be fine :thumsup2

Guest Bob Mahelp

Shinnie is a huge loss for us. Difficult to see who can step up and do the same job.

On the other side of the coin, Lennon is McInnes's bitch. The fact that Lennon is dragging Celtic backwards may be our biggest hope.

With Shinnie in the team, I’d be relatively confident of us putting in a good performance. With him out of it, I can see a “McInnes Tactical Masterclass”[emoji767]️ with players running about all over the pitch to close down Celtic players. The straight swap is Campbell in for Shinnie but you’d have a 17 year old in his third ever start for the club playing in a semi final against the best team in the country. Granted he was class v the **** in the quarter but he had Shinnie next to him in a 3. It might be the time for Gleeson to step up, alongside Campbell and Ferguson in a 3, with two wingers and Cosgrove up on his own.

I’d be inclined to stick Stevie May in as the pressing and harrying he offers us can be invaluable, especially as Celtic’s defence is relatively shaky at the moment. Stick the handbrake on Ferguson and Gleeson and have May be the link man between defence and attack.

The other option is stick Ball in midfield and throw Greg Halford in from the start at RB. A massive gamble, but Ball is probably our best option in that midfield spot. You’d have thought Halford would have got some game time before now if McInnes had that in his plans.

Prediction: me to be shiteing myself all week and be blackout drunk for the game.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Gleeson in for Shinnie and May in for the useless Stewart. 

I'd like to see the referee do something mental in  the first 5 minutes.....send off Brown or give us a penalty.....that will tip Lennon over the edge. 

I probably would have moved Ball into midfield, as he is basically the closest thing we have to an Aldi version of Shinnie, but with Halford having literally no first-team minutes for us, it's probably too big a risk to start him in this. I was hoping McInnes would play him for an hour or so at right-back yesterday in preparation, but I suppose I can understand not wanting to unsettle the back four. 

So, with that in mind, I'd probably bring in both Gleeson and Campbell with Ferguson to give us an extra body in midfield, which means that Stewart and obviously Shinnie would drop out. Still, I'd worry about a disconnect appearing between middle and front and Cosgrove becoming isolated. Even more pressure than usual on McGinn and McLennan to demand the ball, run at full-backs and create. 

It will be a huge game for whoever plays in midfield without Shinnie, who can be so key to how we play against better teams. If we had Shinnie, and his booking at Ibrox seems even more frustratingly pointless now than it did at the time, I'd really fancy our chances of progressing - Lennon's Celtic, despite having the same players, already look like a different, weaker proposition to Rodgers' Celtic. Without him, I think it will be a step too far, but desperately hoping to be proved wrong. 

49 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

My predicted Hampden team

Lewis

Ball-Considine-McKenna-Lowe

Ferguson-Gleeson

McLennan-May-McGinn

Cosgrove

Yeah I'd go with that too. Get May doing a job on Brown when they have the ball too.  Don't let him dictate anything from the base of their midfield.

Bit nervous about this game. Would have fancied Boyata more to handle Cosgroves presence and we have been underwhelming since Rodgers last game despite yet to lose domestically since then. Would rather use Hampdens big pitch to utilise our pace and go 442 up top with Eddie and Weah but I doubt that will happen. Rogic is yet to hit acceptable fitness let alone form so Christie had to start for me instead.

Heading along to this, no Shinnie is a big loss for the Dons but you never know, Celtic are a bit of a different animal with no Rodgers. Is Tierney as well as Boyata out? That defence can be got at tbh. 

Archived