24 Hours in Police Custody

Adam

I do kinda agree with The judge that they can’t prove his death was directly caused by the assault.  I was expecting that decision,  but to drop it to ABH when you see the state she had put him in and when you add in the utter terror he you could see he was in when they visited him in hospital.   He had almost been convinced that being her punching bag was all his life was worth,  horrifying.   

The fact she had just come out from the previous assault and did worse surely should have told the judge that another short sentence wasn’t going to be sufficient.

That sentence was absolutely appalling and I don't agree with the Judge's view at all. If she hadn't attacked him he wouldn't have been hospitalised and slipped into a coma. Absolutely baffling they managed to get her off with that. Likely serving 8 months for effectively murdering someone.

What kind of message does that send to people who are in a violent relationship? f**k me, if they were watching that they'd be thinking "8 months if they kill me? He'll/she'll be out in no time if I find the courage to report they're beating me". An absolute shambles. Our judicial system is absolutely laughable at times.

Had the roles been reversed you can 100% be assured the guy would have got ten years minimum, either a murder or manslaughter charge. 

Facts are, domestic violence by women towards men is not treated anything like the other way round, in some circles it's almost joked about... 'Yeah don't mess with that crazy bitch lol' type attitude. 

A person who works with the family unit in the police once told me that in a situation where a woman has been violent to a man their first instinct is to assume she is defending herself against his violent actions and will often question both with that angle in mind, I know for a fact of one incident where a woman had bitten a guy, punched him and stubbed a cigarette out on him and he shoved her away from him to defend himself resulting in her spraining her wrist whilst falling, this was reported by a relative and the police charged the man.... they were not even fucking interested in the vile behaviour by his partner. 

As domestic violence was, shamefully not taken seriously by police in the UK for years they have now taken the polar opposite stance and want men charged and arrested in every circumstance without taking stock of the facts, I have even heard of men being arrested for raising their voice and swearing will arguing with their partner, no violence at all involved but this is classed as 'threatening behaviour'.

The whole narrative and balance regarding domestic violence is skewed  horribly against men. I'm 100% supportive of wife beaters being dealt with and punished for such sickening behaviour but when the roles are reversed (often involving alcoholic partners) men are intimidated about reporting it as they will either be laughed at or the police will actually assume they are the real perpetrators and the women are merely defending themselves and the guys may end up charged and arrested themselves. 

The most infuriating part is that if he lived, she'd have almost certainly got longer as the GBH with intent charge would have stuck.

You could see the terror in him and it was only lifted a bit after he was assured that she'd be going away for a very long time and wouldn't be harming him any time soon.

I don't usually react to the TV much but I gasped pretty loudly and told the TV to f**k off. Sixteen months is an utterly pathetic sentence for someone who has killed their partner and will probably carry on with similar behaviour. 

That's not justice for that poor man at all. 

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, superwell87 said:

Aye, just a horrible, horrible c**t. The images of the victims injuries/ footage of the attack was awful. 

If ever someone was deserving of an accidental fall down the stairs whilst being taken into custody it’s him. 

I still don’t get the motive for the attack? Was he going to rob the place and didn’t think there was going to be so many people there? In a previous episode it was mentioned that some robbers target Chinese people as they are perceived as keeping money at home and the family in this case were wealthy and ran a business that probably generates cash.

What a fucking scumbag the guy was though. 

Very strange episode. Why attack that particular family with that level of brutality and hop on a plane hours later? How was that dad driving around in a new car with a new house, all expensive looking and able to raise a reward, whilst working in a nail bar?

And finally - no sentence shown at the end. I like to know the score at the end. 

Very strange episode. Why attack that particular family with that level of brutality and hop on a plane hours later? How was that dad driving around in a new car with a new house, all expensive looking and able to raise a reward, whilst working in a nail bar?
And finally - no sentence shown at the end. I like to know the score at the end. 

He has yet to be sentenced according to an article I read on the BBC yesterday. Should surely be double digits he is looking at though, even with the guilty pleas.

I too would really like to know what he lifted in the living room? What was deemed so valuable that he would mete out the level of brutality he did?

I assumed he owned the nail bar?

Last nights episode seemed to me to have been made to highlight the dangers of social media when it comes to ongoing investigations. When I say "made" I suspect it was taken in that direction as at the time it looked like the investigation was going to prove futile with the suspect on the run in Europe. It appeared to me that the final 5m or so had been added after the suspect was unexpectedly caught and handed over by the Romanian authorities, more so as the investigation during the programme seemed to have petered out in Switzerland. The fact that he isn't due to be sentenced until next month just reinforces my train of thought as normally these programmes are not broadcast until sentence has been passed. It just seemed to me to be all very odd. He plead guilty so no explanation for any of it. Way more to all of that than meets the eye especially given the victims family business was also an industry fuelled by illegal / trafficked workers.

That was a difficult but gripping watch. Like others have said, I would really have liked to get more clarity around the motivation for the attack - I assumed this would become clearer over the course of the episode, but if anything it just became more ambiguous and difficult to understand.

On 29/09/2021 at 07:18, Bert Raccoon said:

Although I enjoyed last night's episode, normally the criminal gets arrested reasonably early on and you follow the process of interviewing them and getting the conviction whereas this week we just crammed all that into the last five minutes 

My thoughts as well. The whole premise of the show is following the 24 hours they have to question and then charge or release - he wasn't even arrested until the last few minutes so I was convinced it was set up for a double episode but it appears not.

It seems a little different to previous series in terms of the arc of the cases.

My favourite ever episodes were the one with the surgeon who was done for insurance fraud and the one with the blackmail of a prostitutes customers.  Nothing that interesting in this series so far.