24 Hours in Police Custody

Adam

A prime example of British justice.  F@@@ the victim.

This started off as a road accident which was really not investigated as such and they decided at the scene of the accident to go for GBH.

The Detective Inspector was laughable regarding the attempted break in - " Leave the investigation to us and we would have found them" You have a detection rate in the region of 8.2% for burglary at that time but yeah leave it to you.

During interview the driver is trying to assist police by telling them what happened unlike the scum and the smart arse lawyer.

Surprised the jury found him guilty, were they aware of all the circumstances,  and the sentence was a joke.

During interview there was no mention to the scum of the stolen motorcycle they were on and latterly they were not even charged for being in possession of a stolen car with false plates.  With these injuries it was okay for them to go out committing crime, one had a young family to care for after all, but not to be jailed for their injuries.  Next thing they will be claiming criminal injury compensation for their injuries.

Really raging with the injustice of it all after the programme ended but ultimately not surprised.

3 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

A prime example of British justice.  F@@@ the victim.

This started off as a road accident which was really not investigated as such and they decided at the scene of the accident to go for GBH.

The Detective Inspector was laughable regarding the attempted break in - " Leave the investigation to us and we would have found them" You have a detection rate in the region of 8.2% for burglary at that time but yeah leave it to you.

During interview the driver is trying to assist police by telling them what happened unlike the scum and the smart arse lawyer.

Surprised the jury found him guilty, were they aware of all the circumstances,  and the sentence was a joke.

During interview there was no mention to the scum of the stolen motorcycle they were on and latterly they were not even charged for being in possession of a stolen car with false plates.  With these injuries it was okay for them to go out committing crime, one had a young family to care for after all, but not to be jailed for their injuries.  Next thing they will be claiming criminal injury compensation for their injuries.

Really raging with the injustice of it all after the programme ended but ultimately not surprised.

^^^ Richard Littlejohn found

If there was ever a case of deferred sentencing for someone, last night was surely it.

Almost no risk of reoffending, was instigated into losing his cool and those instigating were making a career out of it without a scrap of remorse of seemingly consequence, certainly not consequence befitting of what they are doing.

Was he wrong to go after them? Well yes....the criminality here on his part is that he could have hit some pedestrian out taking their dog to the toilet or sitting at a bus stop waiting to get home on a Saturday night. But that's the thing - he *could* have...he didn't though.

What he did hit was the people who were most deserving of being hurt badly in that situation. A criminal act, yes, but certainly worthy of the slap on the wrist and being blankly told 'next time leave it to us' by the police force who are as much use as a chocolate teapot and show as much interest as Kelly Brook would show me in a pub.

Police will always make an example of vigilantism though more than actual habitual crime. Vigilante justice terrifies them as it renders them redundant and shows them as incompetent in one fell swoop. 

This guy now has had his life quite literally ruined for trying to sell his motorbike online and as a result, becoming a target for people with no remorse, no empathy and no consequence of their actions.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Police will always make an example of vigilantism though more than actual habitual crime. Vigilante justice terrifies them as it renders them redundant and shows them as incompetent in one fell swoop. 

This guy now has had his life quite literally ruined for trying to sell his motorbike online and as a result, becoming a target for people with no remorse, no empathy and no consequence of their actions.

Fwiw the Police don’t actually sentence people, it’s the courts that do. You’ll probably find a lot of the cops that worked on the case will be dismayed by the sentences handed out both to the victim and the 2 on the motorbike. 

Totally agree on the suspended sentence. If the two other lads had gotten custodials then I could kind of see it being proportionate but for someone with no record to get 22 months is pretty mad. 

It was a good moral dilemma episode and even a few police were overheard having the same conversations about what they’d have done. 

Glad to see anyone driving like that locked up for a bit. Such a lack of self awareness to think that you can take a vehicle and behave like that just because something annoyed you. 

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Fwiw the Police don’t actually sentence people, it’s the courts that do. You’ll probably find a lot of the cops that worked on the case will be dismayed by the sentences handed out both to the victim and the 2 on the motorbike. 

Totally agree on the suspended sentence. If the two other lads had gotten custodials then I could kind of see it being proportionate but for someone with no record to get 22 months is pretty mad. 

Cops will have absolutely pressed the CPS to prosecute though.

But yeah you are correct, I should have said courts/justice system rather than cops in that instance.

Edited by djchapsticks

Cops will have absolutely pressed the CPS to prosecute though.
But yeah you are correct, I should have said courts/justice system rather than cops in that instance.
We've seen in past episodes how the police in England are at the beck and call of the CPS despite how much they try to 'press' them. The police just present the facts and then the CPS and courts take over.

To play devils advocate - If I was that guy and I had scared these people off my property I would not be then getting in to my car and trying to mow them down. I would probably go back in and check on my partner who is apparently in the very very early stages of pregnancy.

Possessions can be replaced but lives can’t. This guy has ruined his own life due to what some could perceive as a short temper.

Agree whole heartedly a 22 month custodial sentence is ridiculous and it’s a joke the 2 guys avoided a prison sentence due to injury, but the guy should have just taken a second to realise chasing after these people in his car over a failed burglary is a moronic idea.

8 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

To play devils advocate - If I was that guy and I had scared these people off my property I would not be then getting in to my car and trying to mow them down. I would probably go back in and check on my partner who is apparently in the very very early stages of pregnancy.

Possessions can be replaced but lives can’t. This guy has ruined his own life due to what some could perceive as a short temper.

Agree whole heartedly a 22 month custodial sentence is ridiculous and it’s a joke the 2 guys avoided a prison sentence due to injury, but the guy should have just taken a second to realise chasing after these people in his car over a failed burglary is a moronic idea.

I'd agree with this. Someone comes into your property I'd say you're well within your rights to use whatever force you can (within reason) to protect your property and your family however if you scare them off but then chase them down the street and leather them with a baseball bat that's a different thing entirely. I don't think anyone can say how they'd react in the moment and I think his sentence was ridiculous but let's not pretend he's entirely blameless in this situation.

Agreed. I can completely understand why the red mist descended initially but once he's chased them away you'd think most people would realise that ploughing into them in a 2 tonne 4x4 maybe isn't the best idea.

I wasn't surprised when he got a prison sentence but equally I wouldn't have been surprised had he just got a slap on the wrist or a deffered sentence. The fact the other 2 wee p***ks didn't get sent to prison, however, is a joke.

I have to agree with the majority. Understandable he was in a rage, but by the time he got in the car and before he set off, he should have realised it was daft, and dangerous. What if he caught up with them, and they pulled knives or guns out?

22 months is a joke though. As is the sentence on those two reprobates. 

I understand he was released in September after 6 months with an electronic tag.

14 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Fortunately we live in a world where you can’t give chase to people in your car and mow them down without repercussions. Fucking bizarre that people are trying to justify those actions. The potential burglars receiving such a meagre sentence is the only injustice I can see. 

Virgin Media said this was shown in 2021 but it wasn't - it was new. So I caught it last night. 

Right away the wife and I were asking why he hopped in his car and was chasing them. Surely having got them away, you'd head back home, check on the family and home, and call the police. Added to that he had CCTV - he could have shown the cops that. But instead he tore after them for a good while. Red mist OK, but it would have faded quickly.

On the sentence, the thing that probably did it was when it said "the jury found him guilty". In other words, he plead not guilty and took it to trial hoping to get off. Had he plead guilty he would have got less; maybe even a suspended sentence. 

51 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Virgin Media said this was shown in 2021 but it wasn't - it was new. So I caught it last night. 

Right away the wife and I were asking why he hopped in his car and was chasing them. Surely having got them away, you'd head back home, check on the family and home, and call the police. Added to that he had CCTV - he could have shown the cops that. But instead he tore after them for a good while. Red mist OK, but it would have faded quickly.

On the sentence, the thing that probably did it was when it said "the jury found him guilty". In other words, he plead not guilty and took it to trial hoping to get off. Had he plead guilty he would have got less; maybe even a suspended sentence. 

Haven't watched it but by the sounds of it on here most juries would have let him off.

Fortunately we live in a world where you can’t give chase to people in your car and mow them down without repercussions. Fucking bizarre that people are trying to justify those actions. The potential burglars receiving such a meagre sentence is the only injustice I can see. 
It's probably fair to say that the price of the right to self defence within your property, and the use of reasonable force without punishment, is precisely that you cannot go chasing people down in a vehicle. All laws need limitations.