24 Hours in Police Custody

Adam

That was quite a horrible watch last night, not sure on sentencing guidelines in England and Wales for GBH, but I was really surprised he only got three years for causing irreparable damage to the child.

Having had two children I can get how emotional it is at the beginning, when they won’t stop crying, but I just couldn’t ever picture a moment where I would lose it enough to start shaking a child, makes the mind boggle.

The "shaken" baby that got 3 years for gbh happened about 3 or 4 years ago it was in the local press etc. They don't show these episodes until its been to court and finalised. 

I might be mistaken but I believe in England and Wales if you are convicted for something like gbh and the victim dies within 3 years as a direct result of the injuries it cm be opened up again and they can go after you for manslaughter but the director of public prosecutions has to authorise it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well Kane is obviously a horrible c**t. Amongst numerous other things, it’s quite compelling that his ex partner referred to the exact insults heard in video footage of him abusing his current partner.

Prediction for tonight.

I reckon the mum will start to crack and open up about his abusive behaviours. I don’t think it’s quite the case that she’ll be covering for him out of fear, but I do think he’s personally killed the baby and she hasn’t done anything to help.

He’ll get life and she’ll get a few years.

I thought it was going to turn out that she had a bigger (physical) part to play in the baby’s death, beyond simply allowing it to happen. If she hasn’t already, she will, at some point, have serious regrets about defending him as much as she did. She displayed some very typical markers of DV victims though.

Really heartbreaking to listen to the other child detailing ‘ugly Kane’ and how he beats them. Those poor children have grown up thinking they’re in a completely normal house.

He is a horrible waste of skin and I was pleased he was still alive and has to live in that pain. I’m sure he’ll be subjected to much more of the same inside.

RIP baby Teddie.

How the mother did not get jail time is unbelievable. 

Must be so frustrating trying to get a case past the CPS. Perhaps those making the decision need to come to the front line and see what is happening.

Hope that b*****d suffers on a daily basis in jail.

The mother was found not guilty of the more serious charges, assume that’s why she didn’t get any jail time. The interview with her kid was absolutely heartbreaking, how many children are being brought up in homes with that level of violence and threat? 

My wee boy was taken into hospital with an infection when he was about the same age was Teddie and the whole experience was dreadful, he had to get a lot of the same processes - lumber puncture etc - to check for meningitis. It really upset him and he was very uncomfortable, I can’t imagine how much pain a baby with the injuries Teddie was found to have would be in.

Surely there has to be questions about the response of the agencies involved, the police seem to have been called numerous times by neighbours yet they had no record of anything?

Surely there has to be questions about the response of the agencies involved, the police seem to have been called numerous times by neighbours yet they had no record of anything?

I’m sure it said at the end that a Serious Case Review was taking place for the agencies to acknowledge and learn from the mistakes from this. Sounds like there were multiple concerns raised with the police and social work, yet nothing was done until the baby was murdered.

Wouldn’t there have been a health visitor involved with the family early on?

Very hard watch - but I still reckon it is the best documentary being made currently. 
I know this is frivolous, but what was that facial hair all about? Should have got an extra 6 months just for that.

And another few years for always saying “I beg your fucking pardon?!”