24 Hours in Police Custody

Adam

Had a cursory glance through the forum and couldn’t see a thread for this show.

Came back on last night for an extended episode, featuring two rape cases. Was very good.

Anyone else a fan?

Caught the tail end of it last night after training. The guy who essentially got away with it due to supposed learning difficulties is a joke, showed no remorse and laughed through his interview.  The text at the end said he lived in the community for 4 months after he was released but didn't say if any further action as taken.

2 hours ago, Marsh said:

Caught the tail end of it last night after training. The guy who essentially got away with it due to supposed learning difficulties is a joke, showed no remorse and laughed through his interview.  The text at the end said he lived in the community for 4 months after he was released but didn't say if any further action as taken.

Did he get away with it?

I thought he was basically being kept indefinitely in a special institution? I took it to mean that he'll probably not be walking the streets freely again in his life.

19 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Did he get away with it?

I thought he was basically being kept indefinitely in a special institution? I took it to mean that he'll probably not be walking the streets freely again in his life.

Being the sad case that I am, I googled the case last night to see what was happening. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-47500436

He is awaiting sentencing apparently.

Having watched this one and the last series i didnt realisr the number of people that went "no comment" during the interview process. Thst mustbe ome of the most frustrating things as the interviewer for them to sit amd no comment everything! 
As soon as the older guy started talking in the interview you knew he was going to trip himself up.

It's fascinating watching how these cases are investigated. The one from the last series where it turned out to be the copper was brilliant.

On 12/03/2019 at 22:19, KillieCon said:

As soon as the older guy started talking in the interview you knew he was going to trip himself up.

It's fascinating watching how these cases are investigated. The one from the last series where it turned out to be the copper was brilliant.

Was that the blackmail one with the guys using prostitutes?

11 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Was that the blackmail one with the guys using prostitutes?

Aye something like that. Mental that it happened for real, it was the kind of plot twist that would have been great in a fictional drama. 

On 3/12/2019 at 07:39, Adam said:

Had a cursory glance through the forum and couldn’t see a thread for this show.

Came back on last night for an extended episode, featuring two rape cases. Was very good.

Anyone else a fan?

No.

On 3/12/2019 at 22:19, KillieCon said:

Can't remember the name of it and it must have been about 20 years ago but BBC did a documentary on Liverpool murder detectives. They were quite some bunch, not like the slick ones in 24 hrs in Police Custody and at the end of the series one of the team of police got nicked by his colleagues for murder (or "meeeerder" as they all pronounced it"). 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Can't remember the name of it and it must have been about 20 years ago but BBC did a documentary on Liverpool murder detectives. They were quite some bunch, not like the slick ones in 24 hrs in Police Custody and at the end of the series one of the team of police got nicked by his colleagues for murder (or "meeeerder" as they all pronounced it"). 

Did it star Lilo Lil?

Just watched this on catch up, that taxi driver getting 22 years, 11 for each of his two rapes, bloody hell, that judge didn't f**k about, more sentences like that needed both as a punishment and deterrent. 

The 'punishment' was reasonably fair,he is a clearly dangerous individual,the time served would be an interesting point here( as always)

The idea of deterrent is massively questionable tho, it is a massively minuscule factor in criminal behaviour. The idea people are not raping becomes they think it would result in 5 years jail rather than 10 is madness.

The main factor is sentencing should always be estimated time for rehabilitation.

On 12/03/2019 at 12:37, Albertlegend said:

Having watched this one and the last series i didnt realisr the number of people that went "no comment" during the interview process. Thst mustbe ome of the most frustrating things as the interviewer for them to sit amd no comment everything! 

It's not frustrating in the least it actually makes it easier for the police to charge certain cases.

No comments are done for a number of reasons usually under legal advice, if the suspect is fucked the solicitor doesn't want them to incriminate themselves any further.

If the police haven't got enough or there's outstanding enquiries they will take a chance those enquiries will be negative or fall through.

There's a high number of people go not guilty all the way through the process only to turn round on the morning of the trial and go guilty when all the witnesses turn up.

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:23, pub car king said:

It's also quite a fair representation of Luton and its endless problems.

I visit Luton 3-4 times per year with work and it's a grim place. Thankfully only stay 1 night at most.

I caught up with this last night.

What a little b*****d the 15 year old was.  You have to hope someone like that gets a long sentence - he reminded me of Angus Sinclair, who carried out very similar attacks at the same age.  

Watching the taxi driver interview, you can see why lawyers tell their clients to 'no comment' interviews, he made a total mess of it and just made himself look guilty as sin.

Yeah, that was a great show, one thing I always think is instructive is how closely they investigate these things.  It's inevitable that people trying things like that get caught.  That copper was a wrong 'un as well.

I think it was called 'Mersey Blues' and had some hilarious moments in it, I'm sure a couple of cops got locked in a building they were trying to search and they pulled over a suspects car and found a massive dildo in the boot but no drugs. 

The detective got nicked for corruption not murder - he had sold gangsters linked to Curtis Warren (richest British criminal ever caught) details of the police officers investigating them.  The details included names, addresses, details of the officers children and what nursery and school they went to.  Warren paid him £10,000 for it.