Real Kashmir FC

Ludo*1

Brilliant documentary about David Robertson working in Kashmir. I've an absolute new found respect for him and I'd be keen to see how his management career goes. If you've not watched the BBC Scotland documentary, then get it watched, it's bloody brilliant!

This is now a thread to follow the progress of the world's most dangerous football team and David Robertson's progress as a manager.

I see they finished 3rd in their first season in the league. With threats to the club's existence because of what's going on in Kashmir, I wonder if he'll stick it out.

How was Mason Robertson for Peterhead btw?

Watched it the other week, quite interesting. Mason did ok for us last season & would have thought he would have been kept if not wanting to follow his old man. Don't know how things will develop there but as Davids missus said he was not there for money.

56 minutes ago, yogisbairns said:

Saw them at Stenhousemuir as well. Got to say, they were a bit off standard, but it must have been a great trip for the guys and a great learning experience.

I forgot they played there too Yogi. Some great fixtures ! 

Just watched this, excellent documentary.

That is a helluva lifestyle change moving from secure lazy luxury in the States to such a dangerous and chaotic place. Fair play!

The way Robertson goes on sometimes is quite comical, but it's obviously working for him. I'd love to see a follow up programme and keep it up BBC Scotland if you're gonna turn out this quality of programme.

Watched this a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Robertson’s celebrations when his son batters in the winner in the last minute of the cup game is nothing hilarious in itself, but the context of him giving it GIRUYs in the middle of war torn India gave me a good laugh.

Good luck to the guy, evidently not about money in the slightest and must really bloody love football.

Enjoyed this too, fair fucks to the guy for taking it on but there was something he said in the programme that made me think this "I've hud tae travel the wurld jist fur the oppartunity to manage" stuff is brought on by himself.  He said he took his son over there as he felt part time football was useless if you wanted to further your career, that made me think that perhaps Robertson doesn't fancy a part time gig in this country to try and build his rep so has ended up taking whatever full time job is going. I don't believe for one second that he couldn't have gotten himself a youth team job at one of the bigger clubs in this country or even somewhere in America and looked to move on from there though.

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t remember if this was covered in the documentary, but what did he do in Phoenix? His house in Aberdeen was absolutely enormous. I know he was a big player in his day but surely he must’ve had some other source of income to afford that.

I'm sure he'll have been on a decent screw and bonuses at Rangers and Leeds, and I think both were fairly chunky transfer fees (for the time) of which he'll have received a decent cut too. Seems like he's got his head screwed on so I agree with Baracus he's probably just been sensible.

Edited by Rugster

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

I'm sure he'll have been on a decent screw and bonuses at Rangers and Leeds, and I think both were fairly chunky transfer fees (for the time) of which he'll have received a decent cut too. Seems like he's got his head screwed on so I agree with Baracus he's probably just been sensible.

Leeds got him for 500k due to his contract nearing its end so he would have been on good wages.

They signed David Hopkin from Palace around the same time for over 3m.

There is a "David Robertson Ltd" registered at Companies House in 1991 with his wife as secretary and him as sole director.

Nowadays it seems to turn-over hardly anything, but in 1990s there were 6-figure assets and liabilities in the books, with dividends and loans.

They also have "West Harbour Ltd".

• 2 months later...