Imperial vs Metric

Ludo*1

Foot and inches or metres and centimetres?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

So what is the 18 yarder now in Fifa bollox ?

16.5 metres is the primary measurement. 18 yards is given as a supplementary equivalent. 

You have to remember that football is a worldwide game & that there are far more metric countries than imperial.

Edited to add: The distance between the inside of the posts is 7.32 m (8 yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44 m (8 ft).

Why don't you just follow the link to the laws of the game that I provided?

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

16.5 metres is the primary measurement. 18 yards is given as a supplementary equivalent. 

You have to remember that football is a worldwide game & that there are far more metric countries than imperial.

So are the goal frames bigger or smaller in Metric cuntries ?

3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

So are the goal frames bigger or smaller in Metric cuntries ?

They should be the same size in all countries. 

As I previously stated, the distance between the inside of the posts is 7.32 m (8 yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44 m (8 ft). 

Just now, lichtgilphead said:

They should be the same size in all countries. 

As I previously stated, the distance between the inside of the posts is 7.32 m (8 yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44 m (8 ft). 

So they have primarily adopted imperial for the goals . Good to know.  I feared you were going to tell me the Germans used 7.5m wide goals x 2.5m high 

When it comes to talking about height I prefer feet and inches, weight I prefer stone and pounds and long distances I prefer to be in miles but anything construction related I prefer to be metric so I am rather torn on this issue.

1 minute ago, superbigal said:

So they have primarily adopted imperial for the goals . Good to know.  I feared you were going to tell me the Germans used 7.5m wide goals x 2.5m high 

No they haven't. They've adopted a metric size which is nearly the same (but not exactly the same) as the old imperial size.

How do the refs pace out 9.15 steps for the shaving foam ?   I've just watched both a Dutch game and an English game and both refs took 10 paces for free kicks.

Sure i would have noticed 9 paces and a baby step.

I'm bamboozled.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

When it comes to talking about height I prefer feet and inches, weight I prefer stone and pounds and long distances I prefer to be in miles but anything construction related I prefer to be metric so I am rather torn on this issue.

When I was working in carpentry and you had different people giving you measurements in either feet and inches or metric, feet and inches were easier to remember but metric was easier than working out 1/16th of an inch on a tape measure.

5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

How do the refs pace out 9.15 steps for the shaving foam ?   I've just watched both a Dutch game and an English game and both refs took 10 paces for free kicks.

Sure i would have noticed 9 paces and a baby step.

I'm bamboozled.

To be fair, there's a fan at Dens that does his fucking nut when he feels the ref has taken less than 10 steps.

Archived