Dombarton vs Airdrie

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only time will tell how useful that point is, but I enjoyed that tonight (20 minutes in the first-half aside). What a difference it made having Carsy and McLean back.

We took the game to Airdrie with an awful lot more fight than we did against Stenhousemuir, scored a couple of nice goals (though I'm still not quite sure why David Hutton didn't bother going for DT's) and zipped the ball about quite well going forward. Unfortunately Airdrie were tremendous on the counter attack and cut us open very easily for the second and third goals. 

If we can play like that offensively against Brechin City, and tighten things up at the back, then we should be able to get a result. What are the chances of the same Dumbarton team turning up for two games in a row though?

We're a mad team. At times we look like we are going baws oot to battle for every loose ball and look like we are fighting for our lives to win every point we can and at the same time we gift cheap goals to the opposition and can go through 2 or 3 game spells where we look like we don't give a flying f**k.

I really do like the look of Boris, he's an absolute demon in the air. If I was Jim Duffy I'd be starting him on Saturday.

Interesting to see that Paton wasn't in the squad tonight, I'm guessing he's either injured or Duffy has had enough of him being the biggest shitebag on earth.

37 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We're a mad team. At times we look like we are going baws oot to battle for every loose ball and look like we are fighting for our lives to win every point we can and at the same time we gift cheap goals to the opposition and can go through 2 or 3 game spells where we look like we don't give a flying f**k.

I really do like the look of Boris, he's an absolute demon in the air. If I was Jim Duffy I'd be starting him on Saturday.

Interesting to see that Paton wasn't in the squad tonight, I'm guessing he's either injured or Duffy has had enough of him being the biggest shitebag on earth.

I thought Boris was good in his first match with us but in his, albeit, limited appearances since I've not been so impressed. Plenty of effort, certainly, but little end product. He had a great chance late on tonight but his first touch started a breakaway for Airdrie. Here's hoping he adds some end product to the energy.

Haven't digested the game yet, but special mention has to be made for the worst yellow card you'll ever see.

The ref (who was looking in the opposite direction from the incident) booked Josh Campbell (who didn't even appeal for a foul) for diving (after he was clearly tripped). Bonkers.

1 minute ago, el Gringo said:

Haven't digested the game yet, but special mention has to be made for the worst yellow card you'll ever see.

The ref (who was looking in the opposite direction from the incident) booked Josh Campbell (who didn't even appeal for a foul) for diving (after he was clearly tripped). Bonkers.

Was it not Mcintosh who got booked for diving? I thought it was a dive at the time and was delighted to see the booking dished out. Shame the ref never punished some of the time wasting with yellow cards also.

31 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

I thought Boris was good in his first match with us but in his, albeit, limited appearances since I've not been so impressed. Plenty of effort, certainly, but little end product. He had a great chance late on tonight but his first touch started a breakaway for Airdrie. Here's hoping he adds some end product to the energy.

You can't seriously criticise Boris after tonight (and to a slightly lesser extent Saturday's) performances. He made a nuisance of himself from the second he came on and got a great assist for the 2nd goal.

The point about him starting a breakaway for Airdrie is harsh too as the ball came to him and was well behind him so was difficult to control.

Boris has found his level with us, so you’re never going to get world class football out him, but his effort and running around is magnificent, but the energy he gives the players around him on the park, gives us a spark, and we seem to play better. Thomas can’t do it himself, and got a massive help when he came on. It’s no secret that boris played very well in his first game for us, but I can’t understand his lack of minutes since. I’d start him against Brechin

A few points from last night.

1. We played fairly well and done well to get into a 2-1 lead at half time but if we are more ruthless its 3-1.
2. If you show Dom Thomas inside the chances are he will take the shot, keep him on the outside, our defenders looked terrified of him.
3. If you give Forbes that kind of time on the ball time and time again he will hit the target eventually.
4. (FUN FACT) If you were to add up the total amount of yards stolen by Dumbarton in last night's game the combined distance would've had us playing at home. Incredible.
5. A draw was probably a fair result in the end.

1. We played fairly well and done well to get into a 2-1 lead at half time but if we are more ruthless its 3-1.
2. If you show Dom Thomas inside the chances are he will take the shot, keep him on the outside, our defenders looked terrified of him.
3. If you give Forbes that kind of time on the ball time and time again he will hit the target eventually.
4. (FUN FACT) If you were to add up the total amount of yards stolen by Dumbarton in last night's game the combined distance would've had us playing at home. Incredible.
People who complain about players stealing yards at a throw in are nonces FWIW.

Obviously disappointed not getting the win but for a neutral it would have been a really good game. Both teams missed chances and had spells of dominating the game.

I felt Wilkie was excellent. Everything we created went through him. Other than young Campbell who struggled at times I felt the midfield was actually decent.  I think that spell out the team has gave Robertson a kick up the arse, he looks much fitter. Crighton won a lot of headers and tackles but his distribution of the ball was shocking, how many times does he just punt it aimlessly? Would like to see the goals again but I thought Hutton should have done better, probably his worse performance since coming to us. 

All in all, it was a decent game.

10 hours ago, el Gringo said:

I thought it was a booking straight away. Campbell was throwing himself to the ground before the Dumbarton player touched him.

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

That's funny. I seriously didn't think there was any difference between how the sides were taking throws.

Fun fact: if you added up all the time Airdrie wasted in the 2nd half we would have only just finished the game. Incredible. 

10 hours ago, el Gringo said:

A few things here:

The ref doesn't need to be the one who sees it, it was right in front of the linesman so perhaps he seen it.
A player doesn't need to be looking for the foul for him to be considered diving.
If Josh Campbell was clearly tripped, why was he not appealing for a foul considering Dumbarton had taken possession of the ball?

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A few things here:

The ref doesn't need to be the one who sees it, it was right in front of the linesman so perhaps he seen it.
A player doesn't need to be looking for the foul for him to be considered diving.
If Josh Campbell was clearly tripped, why was he not appealing for a foul considering Dumbarton had taken possession of the ball?

Having looked back at the footage, maybe I was a bit hasty.

The ref wasn't looking away. Campbell was a bit dramatic going down, but there was definite contact. Possibly not deliberate, possibly not a foul - but certainly not a booking for diving.

That was an entertaining game but frustrating too. Silly mistakes at the back and sloppy goalkeeping cost us. I'd like to see Dumbarton's first goal again. One of those ones that seemed to go in slow motion and that nobody noticed it was a goal. There seemed to be a delayed reaction from the Dumbarton fans and players too. But Hutton has to do better there. The second goal looked like a shambles too and for the third Forbes should never have been allowed the time and space to turn inside like that. Thought we had the better of the midfield for most of the first half. Stewart has hit a real banging run of form right now (definitely a reverse Samson going on there) and I thought that was one of Kieran Millar's best 45 minutes in a diamond. The 2nd goal was beautifully worked, from Wilkie's through ball to McIntosh doing well to cut it back for Duffy. The 3rd goal was a lovely counter-attack too. A key point of the game though I thought was that we really began to tire in the 2nd half. After the 3rd goal particularly we could have done with a pair of fresh legs or two to provide a bit of energy and drive in the midfield and just a bit of composure on the ball as when we got tired we seemed to resort to the aimless punts more often. A Sean McIntosh and/or Dean Cairns would have been ideal. Not Ryan Conroy (and by then it was too late to shift the momentum around anyway). But for whatever reason Murray was almost Gary Bollan like in his reticence to make a sub. Dumbarton got a second wind when Boris came on and IMO that was critical in them getting a point. Overall though I'd have taken that before the game and given the way the game was playing out, if there'd been 5 more minutes I think Dumbarton would have scored another, I'm reasonably happy with a point in the end. Fourth place is still within sight (not that we'll get there mind) so can't be too disappointed. 

54 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

That was an entertaining game but frustrating too. Silly mistakes at the back and sloppy goalkeeping cost us. I'd like to see Dumbarton's first goal again. One of those ones that seemed to go in slow motion and that nobody noticed it was a goal. There seemed to be a delayed reaction from the Dumbarton fans and players too. But Hutton has to do better there. The second goal looked like a shambles too and for the third Forbes should never have been allowed the time and space to turn inside like that. Thought we had the better of the midfield for most of the first half. Stewart has hit a real banging run of form right now (definitely a reverse Samson going on there) and I thought that was one of Kieran Millar's best 45 minutes in a diamond. The 2nd goal was beautifully worked, from Wilkie's through ball to McIntosh doing well to cut it back for Duffy. The 3rd goal was a lovely counter-attack too. A key point of the game though I thought was that we really began to tire in the 2nd half. After the 3rd goal particularly we could have done with a pair of fresh legs or two to provide a bit of energy and drive in the midfield and just a bit of composure on the ball as when we got tired we seemed to resort to the aimless punts more often. A Sean McIntosh and/or Dean Cairns would have been ideal. Not Ryan Conroy (and by then it was too late to shift the momentum around anyway). But for whatever reason Murray was almost Gary Bollan like in his reticence to make a sub. Dumbarton got a second wind when Boris came on and IMO that was critical in them getting a point. Overall though I'd have taken that before the game and given the way the game was playing out, if there'd been 5 more minutes I think Dumbarton would have scored another, I'm reasonably happy with a point in the end. Fourth place is still within sight (not that we'll get there mind) so can't be too disappointed. 

It's funny how different teams view things differently.

I thought we scored 2 very decent goals and a well worked quick free kick for the first (albeit I'm still not sure how it crept in so slowly). But thought the goals we conceded were very cheap. First was school boy stuff and should have been easily defended. We made a host of errors for the 2nd goal and the 3rd was frustrating because Airdrie seemed to have 2/3 players free in our box who could have finished it.

Overall a great game for a neutral though!

7 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Obviously disappointed not getting the win but for a neutral it would have been a really good game. Both teams missed chances and had spells of dominating the game.

I felt Wilkie was excellent. Everything we created went through him. Other than young Campbell who struggled at times I felt the midfield was actually decent.  I think that spell out the team has gave Robertson a kick up the arse, he looks much fitter. Crighton won a lot of headers and tackles but his distribution of the ball was shocking, how many times does he just punt it aimlessly? Would like to see the goals again but I thought Hutton should have done better, probably his worse performance since coming to us. 

All in all, it was a decent game.

Having watched the highlights I don’t think the criticism of Hutton is entirely justified. He certainly will be disappointed at the third goal. The shot was along the ground from distance and he should at least have dived. However, I can’t see how he can be blamed for the second. With regard to the first again he didn’t dive. Somebody told me the shot was deflected . The highlights are inconclusive on that (at least to me!) but he certainly seemed to be leaning in the wrong direction.

2 minutes ago, waysider said:

Having watched the highlights I don’t think the criticism of Hutton is entirely justified. He certainly will be disappointed at the third goal. The shot was along the ground from distance and he should at least have dived. However, I can’t see how he can be blamed for the second. With regard to the first again he didn’t dive. Somebody told me the shot was deflected . The highlights are inconclusive on that (at least to me!) but he certainly seemed to be leaning in the wrong direction.

The first goal looks worse than the third for me. It looks like he's transferred his weight totally to the other side and is just dumbfounded by it going towards his near post. Forbes' at least has pace, comes from an angle he wouldn't be expecting a shot and skites off the turf a wee bit. He maybe could've done better with it, but it wouldn't be that easy a save.

I thoroughly enjoy how seething his all the time. He's like a lower league Allan McGregor. About five minutes after we'd been awarded a contentious corner he was still getting tore into the linesman every time he was near him :lol:

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

When we were 3 up on Saturday Murray could have taken the opportunity to sub some of the key players but chose not to, not sure why.

Archived