Dombarton vs Airdrie

24 minutes ago, optimistic said:

What about this

Brennan

Ballantyne Barr carswell Ferguson

Forbes Hutton Thomas barr

Armour melingui

???

If Ferguson is moved to centre back then Carswell can move forward to the midfield where he is most effective. Forbes could play left back where he played quite well earlier in the season and Melingui could play wide on the right with Thomas playing just behind Armour.Weather does not look too good for tomorrow night. Could do with a repeat of that very strong wind behind us in the second half that we had a few weeks ago.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, optimistic said:

What about this

Brennan

Ballantyne Barr carswell Ferguson

Forbes Hutton Thomas barr

Armour melingui

???

You know, I'd be lying if I hadn't thought about moving DT into midfield. I want him on the ball as much as possible, and he'd certainly get that opportunity in centre-mid. He's been wasted chasing punts and harrying defenders in the last two games, that just isn't his game at all.

The last two games have pretty much confirmed that if we have 1 or 2 injuries, that leads to the starting 11 needing shuffled around, we are unable to compete. If Henk and McLean or Carswell are missing we wont win. If we are able to line up with everyone in their proper positions and have Carswell and one of Henk or McLean fit we might have a chance.

Regardless of what the injury situation is it would be nice to see a bit of effort and fight tonight.

Is the Sons Facebook page still targeting 4th place [emoji85]!
Onto the game:
I still cannot believe that this disaster of a season has Airdrie within 1 game in hand away from knocking on the playoff door.
Obviously that was the aim at the start of the season, but to have performed like the team have this season and to potentially have a game to jump into the playoffs on Saturday is utterly mental.
It was only 2 weeks ago we were looking down with a very realistic chance of being in about the relegation playoffs

It's so fucking utterly depressing that prior to the Raith game we were unbeaten in 7, full of hope and happiness and feeling confident of staying up. And now, two weeks later, I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to attend a game which could be the biggest of the season.

We need to win tonight and Saturday. To do that we need Stuart Carswell playing in midfield and preferably two actual centre halves playing together. 

Despite my cheeky post on the East Fife thread I have a horrible feeling of deja vu, at the end of January we had Forfar in our sights, a couple of wins and other results going the right direction and we would have been up to fourth, instead we then went on that terrible run and Forfar raced well ahead.   Here we are again  potentially with two wins from fourth but this is one game that I would not try and predict never mind risk any money on, it could realistically go any way.

The Sir Ian Murray effect. 
There's actually fans howling about him not being any better than Findlay, even though he took over a squad that appeared to be not trying a leg and a defensive line that looked like a Moscow State Clown audition. We've got the second best (I think) defensive record in the league at the moment, and just generally look more solid and workmanlike.
I've always maintained that I'll reserve judgement until after the first quarter of next season, after a full summer to wheel and deal, and a full pre season to get his ideas across with (most of) his own players.

40 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

There's actually fans howling about him not being any better than Findlay, even though he took over a squad that appeared to be not trying a leg and a defensive line that looked like a Moscow State Clown audition. We've got the second best (I think) defensive record in the league at the moment, and just generally look more solid and workmanlike.
I've always maintained that I'll reserve judgement until after the first quarter of next season, after a full summer to wheel and deal, and a full pre season to get his ideas across with (most of) his own players.

Agreed. The majority of times when clubs change a manager there is no impact until he manages to change the players. Murray has tried to do that with his hands tied by getting loans, but they've not really worked. At this level when you have so little time to work with players recruitment is everything. Being able to organise and motivate will make you a bit more solid like Murray has with us, but it's not going to result in a major improvement unless you get new players.

I always think Ian McCall is the best example of this. No-one would say he is the best tactically or a very good coach. However he is fantastic at recruitment for this level, he can spot a player and knows exactly what is needed for the level. This means his deficiencies in other areas don't really matter that much. Hard to tell whether Murray has this knack but we should know more after the summer by the guys he ships out and brings in.

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Our match preview suggests that both Brian McLean and Carswell are available (only Loy and Henk van Shaik ruled out). Praying to Jim Duffy's shiny head that they're both fit enough to start.

Does that suggest that Ross Perry may also be available then or would that be pushing our luck?

12 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I always think Ian McCall is the best example of this. No-one would say he is the best tactically or a very good coach. However he is fantastic at recruitment for this level, he can spot a player and knows exactly what is needed for the level. This means his deficiencies in other areas don't really matter that much. Hard to tell whether Murray has this knack but we should know more after the summer by the guys he ships out and brings in.

That's where Stuart Millar will come in.  As I've said before, Murray hadn't ever put in the lower league research that the likes of Paul Hartley would do - he tended to take chances on players falling out of full time football which more often than not did work for us in the Championship (see; McGinn, Paul; Kirkpatrick, Jordan).  I suspect he'll have a harder job convincing those types of players to League 1, but with a mix of Millar helping with lower league research and his knowledge of the full time clubs it should work, IMO. Sometimes theory and logic on paper doesn't turn into reality though.  A really interesting summer in this league ahead for quite a number of clubs, I just hope to f**k we're still part of it.

4 minutes ago, super-son said:

Does that suggest that Ross Perry may also be available then or would that be pushing our luck?

I'll be honest, I forgot all about Perry. As long as one of them are fit that'll do me.

TEAM | Adam, Ballantyne, McLean, Carswell, Hutton, Gallagher, Forbes, R Barr, Ferguson, Thomas, C Barr. Subs - Melingui, Russell, Armour, Thomson, Grindlay (!)

McLean and Carsy. Thank God.

Edit: Michael Paton gone Willie Dyer...

Archived