Dombarton vs Airdrie

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really can’t see anything other than a Dumbarton win. We are so poor and don’t have the fight to dig in and get a result. You’ve improved through loans, we’ve made it worst. Or certainly no better.
The only new loans we have are David Ferguson who had the task of replacing Dumbarton FC's worst ever left back and Henk Van Schaik who replaced a completely finished Andy Dowie. We could've signed the Krankies and it would've been an improvement on those two jobbers.

Our main improvment has been Duffy finally getting more out of what we had.

The only new loans we have are David Ferguson who had the task of replacing Dumbarton FC's worst ever left back and Henk Van Schaik who replaced a completely finished Andy Dowie. We could've signed the Krankies and it would've been an improvement on those two jobbers.  Our main improvment has been Duffy finally getting more out of what we had.

I thought you also managed to keep Dom Thomas on/bring him back? Surely make a difference? Wish we had a manager who could do the same.

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

I thought you also managed to keep Dom Thomas on/bring him back? Surely make a difference? Wish we had a manager who could do the same.

We did but we were poor back when we had Dom Thomas before we got him back in January.

Dom Thomas has always been good but now everyone else is putting in the effort and Duffy has got the team going, not just Dom.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The only new loans we have are David Ferguson who had the task of replacing Dumbarton FC's worst ever left back and Henk Van Schaik who replaced a completely finished Andy Dowie. We could've signed the Krankies and it would've been an improvement on those two jobbers.

Our main improvment has been Duffy finally getting more out of what we had.

Cue a text at 4:50 on Saturday from Gavin Speirs to Paul Hetherington along the lines of "told you so"

3 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Allegedly the reason that Speirs left the board was a disagreement with Heatherington over the managerial position -  he wanted Duffy

Ah, with you now. Up until 4 or 5 weeks ago you'd probably have said Airdrie looked to have made the better choice, things have clicked for us whilst Airdrie have stagnated. It's a tough game to get right in regards to managerial appointments IMO - some managers fit perfectly at some clubs and don't work at others (I had huge fears early in Duffy's reign that he was not the right fit for us, still have some doubts tbh).  Murray speaks well though despite his dour voice, so I can understand why boards would maybe prefer him over others. You'd be hard pushed to find a Sons fan that didn't get on board with what he said whilst with us and we all thought he'd go on to the top level in Scotland after leaving us. It's strange how things turn out. Interested to see what Murray's signing policy is in the summer - he always preferred to sign experienced full timers or young full timers falling out of full time clubs, but that might've been down to the level we were at.

Ah, with you now. Up until 4 or 5 weeks ago you'd probably have said Airdrie looked to have made the better choice, things have clicked for us whilst Airdrie have stagnated. It's a tough game to get right in regards to managerial appointments IMO - some managers fit perfectly at some clubs and don't work at others (I had huge fears early in Duffy's reign that he was not the right fit for us, still have some doubts tbh).  Murray speaks well though despite his dour voice, so I can understand why boards would maybe prefer him over others. You'd be hard pushed to find a Sons fan that didn't get on board with what he said whilst with us and we all thought he'd go on to the top level in Scotland after leaving us. It's strange how things turn out. Interested to see what Murray's signing policy is in the summer - he always preferred to sign experienced full timers or young full timers falling out of full time clubs, but that might've been down to the level we were at.

It’s definitely not a coincidence that Jack Ross is now at Sunderland and Ian Murray is at Airdrie

2 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

It’s definitely not a coincidence that Jack Ross is now at Sunderland and Ian Murray is at Airdrie

How do we explain our huge upturn in results when Ian Murray took over a side that Jack Ross was caretaker of if we're giving Jack Ross all of the credit? 

31 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How do we explain our huge upturn in results when Ian Murray took over a side that Jack Ross was caretaker of if we're giving Jack Ross all of the credit? 

Not to mention he was Assistant to Adamson up until his sacking.

30 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Apparently Duffy was promised his pick of any vintage Rivarossi loco (boxed with tender) he wanted  ;)

Shhhhh!!  Don't mention Trains, you will attract East Fife Supporters:lol:

I think it's way too early to say whether Duffy was (or would have been) a better appointment than Murray or vice-versa and in reality, we'll not know until next season. A few weeks ago nobody would have said Duffy was doing a better job than Murray and I'm not convinced that either of our side's fortunes won't turn around at some point. It's also worth pointing out Murray is the only manager to win an Airdrie-Dumbarton fixture this season. I also don't think Duffy would have got any more out of these players than Murray has. Granted it's totally hypothetical and he'd have had a transfer window but Murray has at least got us organised and reasonably solid. Given Duffy's penchant for playing players out of position and/or using odd formations (alongside our players' willingness to make mistakes and not understanding their role even when playing in the right position)  that would most likely see us in a similar if not equal position to where we are now under Murray.

Still think Dumbarton will win on Saturday mind.

29 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Given Duffy's penchant for playing players out of position and/or using odd formations 

Don't get ahead of yourself there, Murray was prone to that as well. We played a horrid narrow diamond midfield which had just about every midfielder playing out of position.  I may be wrong here and it was Aitken who was in charge, but I'm sure we started away at St Mirren with Jordan Kirkpatrick as our sole striker one game too.

Archived