Ross County v Falkirk, Tuesday, 12th March

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BountyBairn said:

Quite self explanatory, it’s where you have no soul. HTH x

That's broadly what it means.
That's not what it's based on with regard to Ross County, which was the question.

But this thread, and others like it, have given me cause to think .
So let me share; I think your accusation of 'soulless' is based on:
- a desperate lack of knowledge of Ross County (which is fair, why should you be aware of the history of the club, its current workings, or the potential tied into its local geography and economies);
- the opinion that Falkirk should be out-performing Ross County as  Falkirk are from the central belt and were afforded access to the senior leagues decades earlier (also fair, many hold this opinion, largely born of ignorance, but as described above the average football fan can't be expected to understand the numerous factors involved in Ross County's present standing);  
- a desperate frustration that Ross County have consistently out-performed Falkirk for the last few years (who wouldn't feel like that given the above two points! I mean, come on!!!);
- the catharsis of aggressively saying something negative about that thing  which makes you feel less 'powerful' than you would like,  this attack being in the hope that it balances out as a positive for you (hugely common, the very nature of which has been a subject of discussion for centuries , from Aristotle labeling the human species a 'zoon politikon'  (political animal), through Rousseau’s 'Noble Savage', to more recent study on primates in general).

It's fine, most people with souls are capable of understanding, and so I understand.
Please be assured that its not your fault, that its not your chosen club's fault, and that such things go through 'cycles'.
Soon, it will be the turn of Falkirk fans to enjoy a well run and relatively successful club.
And do you know what, I'll be happy for you, I hope you will be happy too. HTH (hope to help)  Xxo

ETA - please be assured that this reply is not just for this particular Falkirk fan, but for all football fans who may find themselves in a similar position.

The last bit wrt “a well run and relatively successful club” is best abbreviated to “Roy’s Cash”. The rest is gubbins....but you doubtless know that.

Happy to help.

13 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The last bit wrt “a well run and relatively successful club” is best abbreviated to “Roy’s Cash”. The rest is gubbins....but you doubtless know that.

Happy to help.

Correct. Making huge losses every year that need covered by Roys cash injections is hardly what you would call well run. 

14 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

was surprised at the starting line up. especially MacLean. not seen him contribute much to date. would have preferred Robson keeping his place at left mid

I haven't really seen much from McLean so far either. I hope he's not going to be one of those signings that the manager feels he's got to play just to vindicate his decision to sign him in the first place!

5 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

That's broadly what it means.
That's not what it's based on with regard to Ross County, which was the question.

But this thread, and others like it, have given me cause to think .
So let me share; I think your accusation of 'soulless' is based on:
- a desperate lack of knowledge of Ross County (which is fair, why should you be aware of the history of the club, its current workings, or the potential tied into its local geography and economies);
- the opinion that Falkirk should be out-performing Ross County as  Falkirk are from the central belt and were afforded access to the senior leagues decades earlier (also fair, many hold this opinion, largely born of ignorance, but as described above the average football fan can't be expected to understand the numerous factors involved in Ross County's present standing);  
- a desperate frustration that Ross County have consistently out-performed Falkirk for the last few years (who wouldn't feel like that given the above two points! I mean, come on!!!);
- the catharsis of aggressively saying something negative about that thing  which makes you feel less 'powerful' than you would like,  this attack being in the hope that it balances out as a positive for you (hugely common, the very nature of which has been a subject of discussion for centuries , from Aristotle labeling the human species a 'zoon politikon'  (political animal), through Rousseau’s 'Noble Savage', to more recent study on primates in general).

It's fine, most people with souls are capable of understanding, and so I understand.
Please be assured that its not your fault, that its not your chosen club's fault, and that such things go through 'cycles'.
Soon, it will be the turn of Falkirk fans to enjoy a well run and relatively successful club.
And do you know what, I'll be happy for you, I hope you will be happy too. HTH (hope to help)  Xxo

ETA - please be assured that this reply is not just for this particular Falkirk fan, but for all football fans who may find themselves in a similar position.

Took the liberty of looking up "soulless" in the english dictionary to better understand the accusation and my comments in light blue below:  
soulless
/ˈsəʊllɪs/
adjective

1. (especially of a place) lacking character and individuality.
    "she found the apartment beautiful but soulless"
    synonyms:

characterless, featurelessblanddullcolourlessdrearydrabuninspiringunremarkableunexceptionalundistinguishedunmemorablegreyanaemicinsipid

In terms of a place ,and in reference to Dingwall, my memories would absolutely reflect this description although "bland" is a little harsh. I did enjoy my trips to Dingwall but this had a lot to do with much wine and a cheeseboard on the train up. Also I really enjoyed the Black Isle Show when I went but that's obviously not football related. In terms of stadia the Ross Co ground looks a bit drab & colourless but that does not necessarily make it bland or soulless - ironically this has been a statement made about the Falkirk Stadium (bland name) quite a bit. Brockville had loads of character.

• (of an activity) tedious and uninspiring.
      "soulless, non-productive work"
      synonyms:

boringdull, deadly dull, tediousdrearyroutinehumdrumho-humtiresomewearisomeuninterestinguninspiringunexcitingsoul-destroyingmind-numbinglifelessdry :

Relating this specifically to the Ross County football club I'd imagine being at the top of the league all season would not be too dull  and probably a bit exciting.  Having not seen much of the Staggies I can't comment further but watching Falkirk this season when I can it's been all of those things listed above at some point. Needs must now for Ray so I don't blame him and he is doing a rather good job considering.       

• lacking or suggesting the lack of human feelings and qualities.
      "two soulless black eyes were watching her"
       Again I find it hard to comment here not knowing the human feelings of any of the Ross Co fans and the majority of Falkirk fans or the colour of their eyes , soulless or other.   All I will add if I may is a quote from James (sorry don't know any Aristotle) "there's only one human race , many faces - everybody belongs here".

To conclude I think "soulless" is a bit unfair but not without some basis.

Incidentally - how do you turn a duck into a soul singer?  Put it in the microwave until it's Bill Withers.   

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I haven't really seen much from McLean so far either. I hope he's not going to be one of those signings that the manager feels he's got to play just to vindicate his decision to sign him in the first place!

Tbf McKinnon hasn't and McLean only started due to DKD not being available.

I might be in a minority but I like County's ground and I like Dingwall. It's a beautiful part of the country and seems to have it's own micro-climate. The stadium is good, not too big and right beside a pub and a train station.  I'd imagine that place will be rocking for big games. They have a real mix of age ranges in the fans and I think they probably will be sustainable long term at Championship level once their sugar daddy moves on. 

8 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Kinda agree..not a single Ross County soul helping you out. In other words a rather ‘soulless’ response....

We're too polite to cause trouble.

Jesus that McLean 1 v 1 looks much worse from a camera in the West Stand. He's got so much time he almost doesn't know what to do with the ball and ends up no even smashing it that hard.

On 13/03/2019 at 08:40, StuartTaylor said:

No word of Morris at all

I was watching the game on Tuesday in the same suite as Morris and his other half. I overheard him telling someone that he's back running now, but he also went and got pins put in his arm a few weeks back and regrets not having done it sooner.

Genuine question for all the Falkirk fans questioning Countys' long term financial stability - where did the 450k January spending money come from? Also, by a country mile Dingwall is a far more enjoyable football ground to visit than Westfield.

Genuine question for all the Falkirk fans questioning Countys' long term financial stability - where did the 450k January spending money come from? Also, by a country mile Dingwall is a far more enjoyable football ground to visit than Westfield.
Genuine answer: We're fucking massive.

Next

Archived