Annan Athletic vs Newton Stewart

Took in the young Annan teams game against Newton Stewart last night which Newton Stewart I think deserved to win, not a great game in terms of quality but well done to the away side for continuing their recent form, it was the standard you would expect from two teams at the lower end of the table, my concern is the incentive for the young Annan lads or maybe lack of it, I saw during the week that certain young Stranraer boys had made the first team, arguably because of lack of first team players for whatever reasons but still, do Annan give the same incentive? Because I saw a team last night of young lads that looked at times demoralised and just going through the motions, is this young Annan team a pathway to first team opportunity(none of these lads are 1st team standard)or is it there just as a tick box exercise to receive funding, a team of Annan’s size should be able to recruit a better standard of player to compete better, it looks like a team that’s just there to exsist rather than serve a purpose, back to the football which didn’t get you out of your seat but definitely a few really good players on show from both sides.

Stranraer in particular with being in a relatively remote part of the country and getting poor gates should be thinking of taking the plunge and assembling a local ( South West ) team.

I know the diehard fans would take a bit of convincing but basing the team and players in the South would more than double their gates and I think they would be pleasantly surprised with the result. It would give the football down here a boost and IMO the standard would not be much if any lower than what I have seen at Stair Park. Please don't quote  Rangers/ Celtic players not coming from Glasgow. Different scenario altogether.

Edited by info

6 hours ago, South Fan said:

Took in the young Annan teams game against Newton Stewart last night which Newton Stewart I think deserved to win, not a great game in terms of quality but well done to the away side for continuing their recent form, it was the standard you would expect from two teams at the lower end of the table, my concern is the incentive for the young Annan lads or maybe lack of it, I saw during the week that certain young Stranraer boys had made the first team, arguably because of lack of first team players for whatever reasons but still, do Annan give the same incentive? Because I saw a team last night of young lads that looked at times demoralised and just going through the motions, is this young Annan team a pathway to first team opportunity(none of these lads are 1st team standard)or is it there just as a tick box exercise to receive funding, a team of Annan’s size should be able to recruit a better standard of player to compete better, it looks like a team that’s just there to exsist rather than serve a purpose, back to the football which didn’t get you out of your seat but definitely a few really good players on show from both sides.

I was at this game and not sure what you were watching but the visitors could have won by a barrowload on the night had it not been for the heroics of the young Annan keeper who put in an inspired performance in my opinion. To their great credit we as a Club felt Annan put in a good shift and were unlucky with several really good chances towards the end to reduce the deficit and as for the visitors well as I mentioned , with shooting boots on could have been out of sight. Granted these teams are at the lower end of the table but we can’t all be competing for titles much as we’d like to but that was a good contest played in the right spirit with a creditable performance from the Referee into the bargain.  

You need to realise Stranraer have several real quality lads in their ranks and as a team are super fit and well drilled and this is the level everyone has to aspire to at the moment ! Perhaps Annan don’t want to fill their team with non locals despite their proximity to Carlisle etc , not suggesting Stranraer do ,  and are simply glad to give youths in that area a chance at SOSFL level. I’ve seen the guys at Stranraer who can light up any game at this level but realistically the full team in SPL1 are night and day compared to South football and perhaps financial constraints give these very good young players a chance at League football however that’s a very difficult bridge to gap in terms of quality and consistency wouldn’t you say ? I’m glad you at least finished by saying there were a few good players on show which is realistically what local football is all about and I for one are more than happy to support 

• 3 months later...