The Buddies v The Killie

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As disappointed as I am losing a late goal we are a much improved side. Out of the three relegation contenders I don’t think we’re the worst. And brophy and Jones are a fuckin embarrassment

Kilmarnock took a huge stride towards securing our top six place after Liam Millar struck late to earn a 1-0 win over St Mirren.

The on-loan Liverpool forward latched onto Eamonn Brophy's centre to find the net and end Killie's winless run and goal drought in one fell swoop.

The result leaves Killie 10 points clear of seventh place Motherwell with 12 points left to play for before the Premiership splits into two groups of six.

Greg Taylor and Eamonn Brophy returned to the starting XI with Rory McKenzie in midfield alongside Alan Power and Gary Dicker.

Brophy and Chris Burke both tested Saints goalkeeper Vaclav Hladky in the early stages with Simeon Jackson looking sharp for the hosts at the other end.

Without a win in eight games and with Saints coming into the match off the back of a late win against Livingston, the onus was on Steve Clarke's men to respond.

Backed a large visiting support on a wet and wild Monday night, the Killie squad battled well to match their opponents with the wind at their backs.

Things changed after the break with Killie able to show increased attacking intent with Rory McKenzie seeing a penalty claim waved away despite it looking as though the attacker was brought down in the penalty area.

Our last goal had come through Chris Burke on February 6 and it looked like being another frustrating evening in front of goal as Brophy saw his quick turn and shot hit the post and bounce back out.

Stuart Findlay had to look alert at the other end of the field with two superb defensive blocks to deny Jackson as he ran in on goal.

And the defender's fine form was rewarded when Killie broke up the park and made the all important breakthrough.

Liam Millar and Conor McAleny were introduced to the action and the former was to make his mark in the best possible fashion. 

Burke found Brophy and his ball across the face of goal was nudged into the net by the sliding Millar for his first goal in senior football. It sparked scenes of celebration in the away end as the Killie bench signalled for Aaron Tshibola to get ready to take to the field.

He helped Killie see the match out for a hugely important three points after a tough run of results.

Kilmarnock: Bachmann; O'Donnell, Broadfoot, Findlay, Taylor; Power, Dicker, Burke, Jones (Millar), McKenzie (McAleny), Brophy (Tshibola) 

Attendance: 4,458 (1,214 Killie fans) 

27 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Plenty of plus points tonight. 

Literally not one plus point for St Mirren, hence why you remain bottom of the league.

#facts

#TB4

#jugs

15 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

As disappointed as I am losing a late goal we are a much improved side. Out of the three relegation contenders I don’t think we’re the worst. And brophy and Jones are a fuckin embarrassment

Especially Jones.  Imagine signing for Sevco.

Image result for sick gif

17 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

cute_notebook__round_lovely_biscuits_1531472631_4caa1364.jpg.90bf75f070ac7bc9cf34852d1850e893.jpg

25 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Granted we're yet to play Hamilton again but I would say St Mirren are the worst of the bottom three by some way tbh. 

I like Killie at the moment. Everything about them is good under Clarke. Their front three are mobile and always dangerous, the defence are solid, and Burke is excellent at this level. The left back was really good as well. Now we've played our last game against them I hope they finish as high up the league as possible.

We aren't dead yet. We could have easily won that tonight. Our defence looks better, though the midfield was a bit shapeless at times, and the strikers never really look convincing. Lyons, in the first half anyway, made a few bad decisions that cost us decent chances. He needs to get his head up and move the ball quicker sometimes. Also, I know he's a young guy, but MacPherson struggles against a midfield like Kilmarnocks where he gets no time. All in all though, we are definitely a better team than we were a couple of months ago. Time will tell if we are better enough.

21 minutes ago, GAD said:

I like Killie at the moment. Everything about them is good under Clarke. Their front three are mobile and always dangerous, the defence are solid, and Burke is excellent at this level. The left back was really good as well. Now we've played our last game against them I hope they finish as high up the league as possible.

We aren't dead yet. We could have easily won that tonight. Our defence looks better, though the midfield was a bit shapeless at times, and the strikers never really look convincing. Lyons, in the first half anyway, made a few bad decisions that cost us decent chances. He needs to get his head up and move the ball quicker sometimes. Also, I know he's a young guy, but MacPherson struggles against a midfield like Kilmarnocks where he gets no time. All in all though, we are definitely a better team than we were a couple of months ago. Time will tell if we are better enough.

I like you. I really do. Your praise is indeed most kind and I have to say I think you guys have a decent chance when it comes to the split - there's some quality in that team waiting to be unearthed, If you do go down I still think that Kearney can do a decent job of trying to get you back up. Best of luck to you lads as I enjoy Paisley for an away day.

On the whole the first half was poor with not a lot between the two teams. I thought the second half was better from our point of view and up until the double substitution we more or less ran things without looking like getting the goal. That change unsettled us and the Buddies had a couple of decent chances that worried me. Absolute scenes at the goal as I was starting to think I'd never see us score another goal again! Power was excellent and Findlay was more than deserving of his MOTM award.

On to Snake Mountain now, and hopefully an upset on the cards...

Findlay was absolutely outstanding. Scotland call up beckons, surely? Saved big Kirks a few times.

Sickener at the end, we actually went for it in the last 10 minutes and Killie caught us with the classic sucker punch. Then as soon as they went 1 up Flynn played his first forward pass of the game and it split them open.

Well played Killie (b*****ds [emoji39])

8 hours ago, GAD said:

Good post, out of the 3 teams at the bottom, St Mirren are the team IMO will do best in the bottom 6 games.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I thought Kilmarnock had sold out?

St Mirren capable of beating anyone outwith Celtic I've heard, so will be tough for Kilmarnock tonight.

We sold out our allocation and were told 150-200 would be on sale at the game.

Think it was announced as being 1,214  away fans there which is pretty decent given it was a monsoon, freezing, live on TV and a Monday night!

Archived