Potential New Pyramid League ( West Sector)

Talbot 1978

1 minute ago, Talbot 1978 said:
17 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:
To be fair, we have not done nothing...
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/landmark-achievement-for-pollok-fc/
As to why the club is no longer, reasons are not hard to guess! It made no cash!

This is exactly why I am concerned about the future.

|Future, you have to realise that if there is a west junior jump to the seniors, some will flourish, some will not, some might end up in a bad state and cease to exist, some might excel beyond their and everyones wildest dreams..   Its the same for every area and every team throguhout Scotland. Thats why with a lots of in and outs and good business management, good football management, a little luck will help every team if they are to flourish.

Again it is what it is and some junior outfits right now are arrnaging meetings about the situation of going or applying for SFA member status. Some will vote to go and do it, some will not. Whatever teams goes and stays, I hope they flourish in the level they go to (thumb).  Oh and whose to know, there may even be amateur teams ready to apply for SFA member status, (i dont know, just thoguht id throw that in there :-| )

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Talbot 1978 said:
25 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:
To be fair, we have not done nothing...
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/landmark-achievement-for-pollok-fc/
As to why the club is no longer, reasons are not hard to guess! It made no cash!

This is exactly why I am concerned about the future.

Not sure which bit you're referencing? Lok gaining a quality mark in 2013 or the social club closing down due to lack of business?

Does every club in the west juniors want to join or will there be ones who refuse

It's not about refusing. The west juniors is healthy if you look at it as a patient.

The east juniors went hence the breakdown last year.

Clydebank have always seen themselves outwith the juniors.

The uncertainty of what to do plus the east moving has created a headache for the sjfa and clubs.

Things are afoot, so a calm approach is the correct manner.

Posters like Burnieman started with good intentions but looking at his recent comments shows that he is intent on an snp do as we say approach.

Its interesting time we live in

Most clubs should be striving to be the best they can be at the farthest possible tier that they can get to, its not about the talbots being happy being the big fish in the small pond etc - in remaining junior- its about progressing through the leagues for me , just take a look at the recent hurlford v bankies Scottish Cup attendance ( I think it was about 387) - which is a shocking crowd and it tells me that our flagship tournament has went stale and diluted somewhat without the east coast heavies being in it (apart from lochee and a couple of others). 

Time for a west pyramid and as soon as possible for me as when you're getting crowds like 387 for a junior Cup quarter Final tie - particularly with what should be  the 3rd biggest supported team in the juniors in clydebank in it , then you know our grade is going stale. 

5 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

We could talk till the coos come home but the bottom line is we won't be able to progress as we can't afford the upgrades floodlights etc so we are were we are .

You won't need floodlights for tier 6 or below.

10 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

I’ve taken little to do with it but I just want my team challenging in the junior game , we spoke to a very successful manager in the lowland league a good few months ago and the crowds at the Games were around 10 !!!! Who the f**k wants that ? And id imagine most teams in the east are regretting going to that nonsense of a league , I’m happy where we are and are ambitious to challenge the talbots and Hurlfords of this world 

hurlford don't get much more than 10 at their home games

This is the big point that most people are missing. For 99% of the clubs in the West Region absolutely nothing will change in terms of their stadium requirements if/when they move into the pyramid, unless they want them to.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:
8 hours ago, GordonS said:

This is the big point that most people are missing. For 99% of the clubs in the West Region absolutely nothing will change in terms of their stadium requirements if/when they move into the pyramid, unless they want them to.

And it's why talk of 'opting out' is a little (IMO) misguided... to opt out would be to wave goodbye to any prospect of playing those that do go ever again, and that includes at the present level clubs are at.  Just look at the wilderness that is the current East Region (old) versus what it was in 2001-02...

Division 1 (Final)

Linlithgow
Whitburn
Bathgate
Bonnyrigg
Edinburgh Utd
Arniston
Bo'ness U
Camelon
Musselburgh

Armadale
Newtongrange
Haddington

Division 2 (Final)

Fauldhouse
Bonnybridge (folded)
Sauchie
Pumpherston
Dalkeith
Dunbar
Broxburn
Blackburn

Harthill
Tranent
West Calder
Livingston U
Stoneyburn

2 hours ago, glensmad said:
9 hours ago, GordonS said:

And that's the whole point why all this fear for the pyramid is down to scaremongering or clubs/people not understanding it. If you're an average lower division west region team literally nothing will change. You will still play at the same ground, in the same division, against the same opponents and in the same cup tournaments.

Perthshire in a Junior West Region League One this season will still be exactly the same club as Perthshire in the Senior West Region League One next season and it will be the same for everyone from Talbot to Ardeer. This isnt the death of clubs, its an advancement of opportunities to progress up the league structure and develop your club.

I use Perthshire as they are a club that are unlikely to make the LL over the next decade or so and as such the only differences they will see are being part of a more professional league structure with a more appropriate discipline process. They arent going to have to install floodlights or better terracing by August.

50 minutes ago, drs said:

Perthshire in a Junior West Region League One this season will still be exactly the same club as Perthshire in the Senior West Region League One next season and it will be the same for everyone from Talbot to Ardeer. This isnt the death of clubs, its an advancement of opportunities to progress up the league structure and develop your club.

I use Perthshire as they are a club that are unlikely to make the LL over the next decade or so and as such the only differences they will see are being part of a more professional league structure with a more appropriate discipline process. They arent going to have to install floodlights or better terracing by August.

Exactly. All the proposed structure does is allow a way for ambitious junior clubs to potentially play at a higher level in a wider geographical range. In the same way, clubs unable to compete at those levels can fall down to more sustainable competition in more regional leagues.

We lose the political and divisive senior/junior labels and everyone plays in the same structure with the same opportunities. No club at the regional/district level is going to be forced to go for licencing unless they want to - for most clubs this won't be an issue unless they want to have a shot at the Lowland League and above.

Totally in agreement but if say the west joins the pyramid system there are a lot of junior teams who do not want to go inot the seniors, so wonder hwo will that go, will they stay in the division they are in and if they win it or promotion, they can say, 'no thanks, we will stay in this division'.  There are some teams will no interest in becomeing bigger or going to a higher level and just go with their own flow. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is
Does every club in the west juniors want to join or will there be ones who refuse
It's not about refusing. The west juniors is healthy if you look at it as a patient.  
The east juniors went hence the breakdown last year.

Clydebank have always seen themselves outwith the juniors.

The uncertainty of what to do plus the east moving has created a headache for the sjfa and clubs.

Things are afoot, so a calm approach is the correct manner.

Posters like Burnieman started with good intentions but looking at his recent comments shows that he is intent on an snp do as we say approach.

Its interesting time we live in

This is why I'm a little surprised TJ seems to be advocating an "all in or none in" stance. If teams don't want to join the Pyramid, they shouldn't be forced to so to allow them to okay where they want, I'd suggest setting up a West of Scotland League(s) then having the Juniors separate. If clubs don't want to join the Pyramid and want to remain Junior then the facility to do so should be there. It would then also allow clubs to decide what is more important - the name/grade or progressing as a club. I don't support a pyramid of any sort where clubs can refuse a promotion, but I would support a way for teams to opt out at the start, with the provision that they could apply at a later date (starting at the bottom, naturally).

34 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

This is why I'm a little surprised TJ seems to be advocating an "all in or none in" stance. If teams don't want to join the Pyramid, they shouldn't be forced to so to allow them to okay where they want, I'd suggest setting up a West of Scotland League(s) then having the Juniors separate. If clubs don't want to join the Pyramid and want to remain Junior then the facility to do so should be there. It would then also allow clubs to decide what is more important - the name/grade or progressing as a club. I don't support a pyramid of any sort where clubs can refuse a promotion, but I would support a way for teams to opt out at the start, with the provision that they could apply at a later date (starting at the bottom, naturally).

Why would teams want to opt out though ? Opt out of what exactly ?

There are currently 63 teams in the West Region, and for 62 of them nothing changes if we join the pyramid. They would still be in the same league structure, playing the same teams at the same levels. Only the winners of the top league would have the chance to go higher. And you'd reckon that, if you're good enough to win the top league, then your club would be in a healthy enough financial position to sustain the step-up.

People don't seem to be getting their head around how this really is not a major change for almost every team, and it really is nothing to be scared of.

What it would do for all 63 teams, though, is make their product more marketable.

Finally you could tell your potential fans and potential sponsors that your team is at tier whatever of the pyramid, instead of so many of them thinking that junior football is a kids game.

TJ from last year - 29th March 2018:

“Can I be honest. I didn’t see this day coming. I always felt the clubs, at least some of them, would want to join the pyramid but I thought it would be a more gradual progression to it.

What we have tried to is to maintain the identity of the juniors but that will be diluted through time. We have 132 years of history and it would be a great pity to lose that. We are where we are. The clubs feel the need to take this step forward.

If we can maintain our identity and be part of the pyramid as the Scottish Junior Football Association, then that might lighten the blow going forward.

This is the stage we are at. Maybe we did stand still for a while. We took a watching view of the pyramid and I think it is right that now the clubs have a say on where we go.”

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16124649.pyramid-scheme-sjfa-head-lifts-lid-on-move-to-alter-juniors-forever/

How much progress have we made over the last 12 months joining the SFA Pyramid? We still seem stuck on the Junior / Senior divide.  We are all Scottish Non league Clubs and Supporters and most of us want to integrate, work together and get on with it.

I still have a horrible feeling that we are being held back because it does not fit the agenda of a kingpin at the Hampden Park offices.

Archived