SELKIRK

MAC THE KNIFE

FROM TODAY`s BORDER TELEGRAPH

Selkirk's SFA membership terminated after rule breaches

By David KnoxNews Editor
Selkirk finished fifth in the Lowland League last season. Photo: Thomas Brown.

Selkirk finished fifth in the Lowland League last season. Photo: Thomas Brown.

SELKIRK'S membership of the Scottish Football Association was officially terminated at Hampden on Thursday following a disciplinary hearing.

The Yarrow Park club, who went out of business earlier this season with crippling debts, had been members of the SFA since 1892.

And were widely believed to be the first senior football club formed in the Scottish Borders.

But running up debts over the past two or three seasons led to their demise.

On Thursday the club was cited to appear at Hampden to face a number of membership breaches - including behaving in good faith, bribery, respecting the laws of the game, and observing integrity and sportsmanship.

The former Yarrow Park club faced a total of six different breaches.

Since no representatives of the club were present the SFA Disciplinary Board ruled on a termination of membership.

2 hours ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

Some pretty hefty charges in there, but bribery is the one that stands out, I wonder what the story was there?

I think that's just shit reporting from the paper, the charge was a breach of disciplinary rule 1 (articles of association 5.1) which includes a whole bunch of things but nothing specifically highlighted.

Disciplinary Rule allegedly breached: Disciplinary Rule 1
All members shall:

(a) observe the principles of loyalty, integrity and sportsmanship in accordance with the rules of fair play;
(b) be subject to and shall comply with:
     (i) the Articles;
     (ii) this Protocol;
     (iii) the Cup Competition Rules;
     (iv) the Registration Procedures;
     (v) the International Match Calendar;
     (vi) Club Licensing Procedures; and
     (vii) any statutes, regulations, directives, codes, Decisions promulgated by the Board, the Professional Game Board, the Non-Professional Game Board, the Judicial Panel, a Committee or sub-committee, FIFA, UEFA or the Court of Arbitration for Sport;
(c) recognise and submit to the jurisdiction of the Court of Arbitration for Sport as specified in the relevant provisions of the FIFA Statutes and the UEFA Statutes;
(d) respect the Laws of the Game;
(e) refrain from engaging in any activity, practice or conduct which would constitute an offence under sections 1, 2 or 6 of the Bribery Act 2010;
(f) behave towards the Scottish FA and other members with the utmost good faith.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/disciplinary/disciplinary-updates/

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

I think that's just shit reporting from the paper, the charge was a breach of disciplinary rule 1 (articles of association 5.1) which includes a whole bunch of things but nothing specifically highlighted.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/disciplinary/disciplinary-updates/

They have got previous. 

Rab's referring to 'teamsheetgate' last season when WW made a teamsheet error, punishable by a simple fine under LL rules. Can't seem to access the BT's website right now to search for it. The paper made a massive deal out of it, reporting amongst other things I've forgotten, that WW had played ineligible players (plural). The reporter wasn't David Knox, but Rab will know his name, as he had an online spat with him :lol:

On a similar note, the BT lifted one of my photos from the WW website and used it on theirs, without asking or crediting me or the club. When I tackled them on this, David Knox shifted the blame to his staff, claiming he had been on holiday.

I would imagine the bribery bit may not be relevant but is just part of the full rule they are in breach of. As with anything they have to list the full rule in any disciplinary charge as opposed to just bits of the wording.

Sad to see this happen,  I assume as nobody represented the club that all the officials had resigned once the club withdrew from the league?

A long way back for anyone wanting to try and resurrect the club now.

Archived