FROM TODAY`s BORDER TELEGRAPH

Selkirk's SFA membership terminated after rule breaches

By David KnoxNews Editor
Selkirk finished fifth in the Lowland League last season. Photo: Thomas Brown.

Selkirk finished fifth in the Lowland League last season. Photo: Thomas Brown.

SELKIRK'S membership of the Scottish Football Association was officially terminated at Hampden on Thursday following a disciplinary hearing.

The Yarrow Park club, who went out of business earlier this season with crippling debts, had been members of the SFA since 1892.

And were widely believed to be the first senior football club formed in the Scottish Borders.

But running up debts over the past two or three seasons led to their demise.

On Thursday the club was cited to appear at Hampden to face a number of membership breaches - including behaving in good faith, bribery, respecting the laws of the game, and observing integrity and sportsmanship.

The former Yarrow Park club faced a total of six different breaches.

Since no representatives of the club were present the SFA Disciplinary Board ruled on a termination of membership.

1 hour ago, JamesGroundHopping said:

Sad to see this happen to a club like Selkirk, especially because of how long they have had a license. 

Shows what scummy owners can do to a club though... 

i think you might be unfair. what i heard was that there were some committee who put there hands in there pockets to buy players and managers and it was financially daft. if thats the case they were misguided devoted but not scummy. if what i here is correct the club secretary has personaly lost 100000 pounds. 

26 minutes ago, Wee Smiler said:

i think you might be unfair. what i heard was that there were some committee who put there hands in there pockets to buy players and managers and it was financially daft. if thats the case they were misguided devoted but not scummy. if what i here is correct the club secretary has personaly lost 100000 pounds. 

There was a lot of people who did genuinely want what was best for the club and they were "devoted but not scummy" but the rumours of bribery sound pretty scummy to me.

Just now, JamesGroundHopping said:

There was a lot of people who did genuinely want what was best for the club and they were "devoted but not scummy" but the rumours of bribery sound pretty scummy to me.

Ive not heard anything about bribery and sure we will hear more but my experience is that they were nice people who were nieve. anyone know what the bribery thing was aobut????

5 minutes ago, Wee Smiler said:

Ive not heard anything about bribery and sure we will hear more but my experience is that they were nice people who were nieve. anyone know what the bribery thing was aobut????

4 hours ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

On Thursday the club was cited to appear at Hampden to face a number of membership breaches - including behaving in good faith, bribery, respecting the laws of the game, and observing integrity and sportsmanship.

Taken directly from the article posted above

French lads where promised things the club couldn't give them along with £££££. They stayed in a house with broken windows, a non functioning toilet and then stayed in the clubrooms at Yarrow Park. 

I was told I'd get money for filling the GK slot on the bench for a couple Scottish Cup ties I got diddly.

The club had ambition, perhaps a little too much. I do wonder what O'Conner was on whilst at the club. Grateful for the opportunity and made my sole LL appearance for them a few seasons back.

Sad, but fair I guess.

They were charged with breaching Rule 1 which is basically a catch-all covering (across 6 clauses): integrity and sportsmanship, obeying the rules, going to CAS not the courts, playing football using the Laws of the Game, not committing bribery, and acting in good faith. They wouldn't necessarily have breached all of those.

It has come to a sad end. Being an unincorporated organisation I suppose it's an interesting technical question as to whether Selkirk FC even still exists - if as reported all the committee (or all bar 1) resigned, it hasn't any players or belong to any competitions, its ground is mothballed, and its remaining assets are being sold off piecemeal. Hopefully local football revives sustainably.

Archived