Athletic (A) vs Athletic (D)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can accept the argument for the other three but Cappielow is an absolute dump.

It’s a dump but it’s a cracking ground at the same time, the price they charge to get in is ridiculous though.

Behind the goal first half....shite view.

During the move for the goal we made the move towards the other end. Ended up next to the gazebo....shite view.

I like going to grounds like Alloa etc but there's no denying it's scandalous charging £17 to get in.

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Away tae f**k. It's better than lego-fests like St Mirren and Livingston.

If we had a ground like Livingstons it'd be ideal tbh. Even Airdries. 

Absolutely wild that Alloa can get away with charging 17 pound though. 

13 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
13 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Utter nonsense!
Grounds like the ones you mention and the Bairnabeau have the ever so important advantage of enabling you to get a decent view of the game.
All for a bit of nostalgia but this old grounds are better argument really is slavers.

You might get soon get the seaside tour like we did. You'll see what I mean. Much prefer all of the Angus grounds to any "modern" stadium.

Been there, done that, bought the pie.

Brechin have a great wee ground but as for the others, sorry but I'd rather see the game than drown in nostalgia for a time when supporters were completely taken for granted.

You pay for what you are watching not for the ground , you contradict yourselves saying you should pay less at Alloa,  stands don't build themselves you need money, 

if we charged less the chance of building better facilities would be impossible .

7 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

You pay for what you are watching not for the ground , you contradict yourselves saying you should pay less at Alloa,  stands don't build themselves you need money, 

if we charged less the chance of building better facilities would be impossible .

Alloa are never going to build a new stand. They don't need to.

You pay for what you are watching not for the ground ,

Quite clearly not true. Just about everything has lower prices when facilities are poorer.

See premium seats at the cinema, or the fact you can get first class seats or trains/planes.

Alloa have zero need to do anything to their ground. It's absolutely fine for their needs. Despite the complaints on here there were still over 1000 travelling fans on Saturday, so their ground isn't a deterrent to away fans, or at least enough to matter.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Alloa are never going to build a new stand. They don't need to.

I don't think that's the case.  An opportunity emerged in 2007 to have the old terrace on that side of the ground removed. After that there was a season when there was nothing but flat uncovered standing on that side. The club then bought the gazebo and also put a new toilet block in. When the gazebo arrived the club said it had a lifespan of 30 years and that they were looking at the possibility of eventually putting it behind the Railway End goal when a permanent stand could be built on the Hilton Road side. Still plenty of time for that. 

As for the question on when we last upgraded the ground, the place has been transformed since I started going in 1988. New main stand in the early 90's. Covered concrete terracing at the Clackmannan Road End circa 2006. The removal of the old ash terracing and enclosure mentioned above and gazebo in its place. Removal of grass park (and slope) and plastic pitch put in, and new plastic pitch laid since. New floodlights in recent past too. These were all significant developments for a club like Alloa. 

I don't think that's the case.  An opportunity emerged in 2007 to have the old terrace on that side of the ground removed. After that there was a season when there was nothing but flat uncovered standing on that side. The club then bought the gazebo and also put a new toilet block in. When the gazebo arrived the club said it had a lifespan of 30 years and that they were looking at the possibility of eventually putting it behind the Railway End goal when a permanent stand could be built on the Hilton Road side. Still plenty of time for that. 
As for the question on when we last upgraded the ground, the place has been transformed since I started going in 1988. New main stand in the early 90's. Covered concrete terracing at the Clackmannan Road End circa 2006. The removal of the old ash terracing and enclosure mentioned above and gazebo in its place. Removal of grass park (and slope) and plastic pitch put in, and new plastic pitch laid since. New floodlights in recent past too. These were all significant developments for a club like Alloa. 

Couldn't a simple enclosure ala Forfar be put in instead? It would absolutely transform the ground and surely would have been far more value for money than the gazebo.

Any other club bar possibly caley (who put in far higher quality stands) that have put in 'temporary ' stands have had them up for 1 or 2 seasons at most.

The idea that piece of shit is to sit there for another 20 years is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Couldn't a simple enclosure ala Forfar be put in instead? It would absolutely transform the ground and surely would have been far more value for money than the gazebo.

Any other club bar possibly caley (who put in far higher quality stands) that have put in 'temporary ' stands have had them up for 1 or 2 seasons at most.

The idea that piece of shit is to sit there for another 20 years is ridiculous.

It’s pretty fucked already. It also acts as a wind tunnel. I don’t mind but I do mind paying £17 for it.

23 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It’s pretty fucked already. It also acts as a wind tunnel. I don’t mind but I do mind paying £17 for it.

Biggest bugbear of that "stand" is the seats are too cramped. Back was in agony for a week after sitting there. At least it's covered.

Still, don't blame Alloa, just those fraudsters pretending to be kids or OAPs ...sometimes on the same visit. And those like myself that went to Dundee on Saturday.

Archived