Edinburgh v Berwick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Attendance of 253. Absolutely disgraceful for a team on the verge of promotion. 
Might as well play behind closed doors and save all the fuss of safety inspections, tea huts, stewards and oiling the turnstiles. 

Aye your lot fair piles them through the turnstiles anaw

Attended last night, being one of the 253 as a neutral spectator.

First half you would have reasonably thought that Berwick were chasing promotion and City struggling near the foot of the table. Berwick looked well organised and quick on the break, particularly the number 19.  Problem was I can't recall the City goalkeeper having a save of any note to make. For their part, Edinburgh's main tactic seemed to be to lump the ball upfield in the general direction of the big centre forward.  He was well marshalled by the Berwick defence and barely got a kick of the ball in the first half.

City improved in the second half and their no. 4 in particular was dominating the midfield. Again though, apart from one decent save by the keeper from a long-range shot, there was little threat to the Berwick goal. The penalty when it arrived looked to be of the 'soft' variety; a handball, which from where I was sitting, looked difficult for the defender to get his hand out of the way.  The ref was well positioned to see it though and there didn't seem to be any serious complaints from the visitors.

Fair play to Berwick for giving it a good go in the last ten minutes or so.  They created a couple of decent chances, but their crossing and finishing efforts were pretty woeful. Based on league positions and recent form, City performed slightly worse than I would have expected, Berwick a fair bit better. So I would predict a play-off place for City and Berwick to do enough to keep themselves ahead of the hapless Albion Rovers.

56 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Might as well play behind closed doors and save all the fuss of safety inspections, tea huts, stewards and oiling the turnstiles. 

Did that include the drum?

52 minutes ago, Deputy Keeper said:

Attended last night, being one of the 253 as a neutral spectator.

First half you would have reasonably thought that Berwick were chasing promotion and City struggling near the foot of the table. Berwick looked well organised and quick on the break, particularly the number 19.  Problem was I can't recall the City goalkeeper having a save of any note to make. For their part, Edinburgh's main tactic seemed to be to lump the ball upfield in the general direction of the big centre forward.  He was well marshalled by the Berwick defence and barely got a kick of the ball in the first half.

City improved in the second half and their no. 4 in particular was dominating the midfield. Again though, apart from one decent save by the keeper from a long-range shot, there was little threat to the Berwick goal. The penalty when it arrived looked to be of the 'soft' variety; a handball, which from where I was sitting, looked difficult for the defender to get his hand out of the way.  The ref was well positioned to see it though and there didn't seem to be any serious complaints from the visitors.

Fair play to Berwick for giving it a good go in the last ten minutes or so.  They created a couple of decent chances, but their crossing and finishing efforts were pretty woeful. Based on league positions and recent form, City performed slightly worse than I would have expected, Berwick a fair bit better. So I would predict a play-off place for City and Berwick to do enough to keep themselves ahead of the hapless Albion Rovers.

A very fair comment on game. City keeper made a top class save late in game from I think Barr after a good left wing move. City looked good first 20 minutes of second half but after the soft penalty Berwick came right back at them and probably deserved a point.

That's what happens when we allow glorified boys clubs into the league.

In City's defence (and I admit to being sympathetic to the club), they are playing in the most charmless shitehole in the league, on a Tuesday night in early March with the kind of weather you'd expect to go along with this macabre décor, against Berwick Rangers who themselves are unlikely to put many bums in seats due to the league positioning of both clubs and the time/distance required of away supporters.

In hindsight, you also can't blame those who stayed home to watch Real Madrid - Ajax on the telly.

In City's defence (and I admit to being sympathetic to the club), they are playing in the most charmless shitehole in the league, on a Tuesday night in early March with the kind of weather you'd expect to go along with this macabre décor, against Berwick Rangers who themselves are unlikely to put many bums in seats due to the league positioning of both clubs and the time/distance required of away supporters.
In hindsight, you also can't blame those who stayed home to watch Real Madrid - Ajax on the telly.
In City's defence, the majority of their "supporters" are Hibs/Hearts/rugby fans or soccer moms who don't really care that Edinburgh City are challenging for the league championship.

"After all, it's just another 3 points" [emoji849]

20 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

In City's defence, the majority of their "supporters" are Hibs/Hearts/rugby fans or soccer moms who don't really care that Edinburgh City are challenging for the league championship.

"After all, it's just another 3 points" emoji849.png

And most every Berwick and Clyde fan is a sado-masochist considering the phish both teams put their respective sets of supporters through. For a club that lost its home stadium and has just 2-and-a-half years in the League under their belt, City is doing reasonably well.

Aye your lot fair piles them through the turnstiles anaw

To be fair, our average attendance of 465 is fairly good considering how shocking we’ve been and how we suffer from lower away supports than the central belt teams. I’m amazed our attendances are holding up in all honesty.

4 hours ago, haufdaft said:
6 hours ago, Redcar said:

That's what happens when we allow glorified boys clubs into the league.

There maybe some sides in the Lowland League classed by some as glorified boys clubs but City were never one of them. Fancy a team with a crowd of just 253 being above Clyde in the table:lol:

4 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

In City's defence

Stop. There is none. 

Club with no fans, no tradition and no stadium. Purely up there because of someone's money. 

4 hours ago, haufdaft said:

"After all, it's just another 3 points" emoji849.png

Spot on mate. Mostly Herts fans, although I'll admit I went to Easter road on Saturday rather than Broadwood as it was a proper "big game" at Easter road. Plus I usually boycott the Clyde games anyway as I wouldn't give you's a penny of my money, nevermind 12 quid or whatever you's charge.

You'll be pleased to know City were shite against Berwick and dont look like they can win it.

So all said, I'd wish you good luck for the rest of the season as I'd prefer to see Clyde go up.

2 hours ago, Redcar said:

Stop. There is none. 

Club with no fans, no tradition and no stadium. Purely up there because of someone's money. 

Embarrassing.

Don’t forget when Edinburgh city were promoted the players in there squad then were on pennies some probably got basic expenses. 

Granted there attendances might not be great but cracking set of young fans with the drums and all. Brings a slight bit atmosphere. 

5 hours ago, Redcar said:

Stop. There is none. 

Elected into the Scottish League from the East of Scotland League 20 years before Berwick Rangers were. 

Even in the 1920s Scottish football decided a bunch of amateur diddies with no history were a better bet than Berwick Rangers! 

On 05/03/2019 at 23:14, Redcar said:

A quick count on Fotmob (and I've been to the pub so may have missed some) shows that Edinburgh have scored 8 penalties and Berwick have conceded 9!

Doesn't count any that were missed. 

By way of an unscientific comparison, Annan appear to have scored 3

I'm no even goin to check  but what have Annan to do with  this thread ?

You seem obsessed wi  Annan Redcar.We played u 3 times so far,beat u every time.9 goals to Annan  1 to yourselves. Just take a hike ya bawbag

15 hours ago, the philosopher said:

I'm no even goin to check  but what have Annan to do with  this thread ?

You seem obsessed wi  Annan Redcar.We played u 3 times so far,beat u every time.9 goals to Annan  1 to yourselves. Just take a hike ya bawbag

Someone stole your crumpets this morning Numbnuts?  I think he was using your penalty count as  a comparison to the large amount Edinburgh have won and we have conceded 

Archived