Montrose v Dumbarton

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't notice McLean much, which is probably a good thing for a centre-half to be honest. He seemed fine, most of Montrose's threat came down the wings and big Martin Rennie didn't seem to get much out of either him or Mango.
Given he hadn't played for a wee while, and given it was really quite windy at stages, I'd say he can be pretty pleased with how he got on. He'll probably have more challenging afternoons though.
Calum Gallagher's goal is a far better finish in the highlights than I'd thought at the time, great ball in from Ballantyne too. That's 8 goals in 23 starts for him this season, after 7  in 28 last season (with a few of them being on the wing). He's 100% becoming the Colin Nish to DT's Chris Kane, and I'm all for it. It's been a long time (probably since that season tbh) since we had an actual strikeforce who work as a wee unit. Fair play to Duffy and Hagi for that, because it's something Aitken/Faz/Durrant didn't ever seem to manage.

I genuinely thought Nish was severely underrated and was very good for us most of the time. You could tell he had good footballing intelligence.

I still, however, really don’t rate Gallagher. What I will say is that he puts in a hell of a shift every week. Despite this though his first touch is absolutely brutal to watch and the fact that he can’t run in behind or hold the ball up is annoying.

Occasionally he’ll produce a very smart bit of play, like the headed flick on for the first goal at East Fife. IMO I’d prefer Armour or Melingui ahead of him.

13 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Is it just me, or is the away kit actually starting to grow on anyone?

I have always liked it but I just don't associate red with Dumbarton. I know there's a tiny bit of red on the club badge but I'd prefer the red to be yellow and then it would be a great away strip.

53 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I genuinely thought Nish was severely underrated and was very good for us most of the time. You could tell he had good footballing intelligence.

I still, however, really don’t rate Gallagher. What I will say is that he puts in a hell of a shift every week. Despite this though his first touch is absolutely brutal to watch and the fact that he can’t run in behind or hold the ball up is annoying.

Occasionally he’ll produce a very smart bit of play, like the headed flick on for the first goal at East Fife. IMO I’d prefer Armour or Melingui ahead of him.

What have either of Armour or Melingui done to make you think they would be better? There's no denying that - even though Gall lacks natural ability at times - him and DT seem to have built a good understanding and are working together to score goals.

6 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

I have always liked it but I just don't associate red with Dumbarton. I know there's a tiny bit of red on the club badge but I'd prefer the red to be yellow and then it would be a great away strip.

Gold rather than yellow, surely!

37 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Gold rather than yellow, surely!

I won't argue with the nomenclature of colours but I will say that the colouring on a dumbarton strip looks nothing like the gold I see on my wedding ring. However, if it's referred to as"gold" then so be it.

I won't argue with the nomenclature of colours but I will say that the colouring on a dumbarton strip looks nothing like the gold I see on my wedding ring. However, if it's referred to as"gold" then so be it.

This.

I very rarely ever look at a football strip and think it's 'gold' coloured, unless it's some sort of deliberate shimmery gold effect. Every strip we have is a shade of yellow, some deeper than others.

Out of interest, does anyone know when this 'gold' thing started in terms of Dumbarton colours? I'm not that old and I can't remember it ever being a thing until fairly recently, I often see folk getting a bit worked up if the shade of yellow we use isn't up to their standards. Maybe I was just blissfully unaware of it until recently and it's always been a thing that people feel passionately about.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This.

I very rarely ever look at a football strip and think it's 'gold' coloured, unless it's some sort of deliberate shimmery gold effect. Every strip we have is a shade of yellow, some deeper than others.

Out of interest, does anyone know when this 'gold' thing started in terms of Dumbarton colours? I'm not that old and I can't remember it ever being a thing until fairly recently, I often see folk getting a bit worked up if the shade of yellow we use isn't up to their standards. Maybe I was just blissfully unaware of it until recently and it's always been a thing that people feel passionately about.

Gold is a colour that sits somewhere between yellow and brown. Our strips are, for my money, definitely yellow. 

This.

Our club colours were black and gold as far back as I can remember, my first visit to Boghead being late 69 early 70. Even songs sung referred to us being the boys in black and gold. In my mind it was after the Umbro kits that manufacturers began forcing various shades of yellow on us.
But today even the signage at the club is yellow so why bother.

Absolute state of Dillon pulling Mangos hair :lol:

I thought it looked like the tail end of a headbutt from the highlights that was replayed hence why Mango has to receive treatment. Not sure though as I wasn’t there.

Our club colours were black and gold as far back as I can remember, my first visit to Boghead being late 69 early 70. Even songs sung referred to us being the boys in black and gold. In my mind it was after the Umbro kits that manufacturers began forcing various shades of yellow on us.
But today even the signage at the club is yellow so why bother.
We've been living a lie our entire existence. Dumbarton have NEVER had a gold strip.

Dont @ me Dumbarton fans.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We've been living a lie our entire existence. Dumbarton have NEVER had a gold strip.

Dont @ me Dumbarton fans.

It would seem so. Maybe gold just sounded better than yellow. The boys in black and yellow just doesn't cut the mustard!

11 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Gold is quite a hard colour to get right with football kits, a variety of shades.

Black & gold are definitely our club colours imo though.

584df4c930adc_087RoyMcCormack.jpg.1222c58c40e66e9332960170383bafd3.jpg

:wub: That kit.

That as the home kit, an orange/gold reverse (like the 1872 one) as the away kit plz.

10 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Gold is quite a hard colour to get right with football kits, a variety of shades.

Black & gold are definitely our club colours imo though.

071085-dumbarton-v-east-fife-2-1-boghead-dumbarton-east-fifes-douglas-bjj081.jpg.92bfffe3a46b5edf38d49cf2fd8c548c.jpg584dee5f5ad44_dfc1972.jpg.1a8c961b96561afd561f2eb91c73ad3f.jpggordon-lennon-12-05-09.thumb.jpg.72935efd6658fe525414c3867acac5e9.jpg584df4c930adc_087RoyMcCormack.jpg.1222c58c40e66e9332960170383bafd3.jpg

For me, some of those shirts look more orange than gold. I agree that they are not yellow. I always associate dumbarton with yello. Most scarves have yellow and some of the older ones are mustard but not the metallic colour of gold. Anyway, winning is far more important, and on that front our lads are pure gold.

18 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

For me, some of those shirts look more orange than gold. I agree that they are not yellow. I always associate dumbarton with yello. Most scarves have yellow and some of the older ones are mustard but not the metallic colour of gold. Anyway, winning is far more important, and on that front our lads are pure gold.

Anyhoo, what colours do the BrianJonesTown Massacre play in?

:P

1 minute ago, Silverton End said:

Anyhoo, what colours do the BrianJonesTown Massacre play in?

:P

They are a band that wear everyday clothes with jeans and shirts. As a psychedelic band you might expect colourful attire but rather plain jeans and shirts/ t- shirts are the order of the day. However, their music is most colourful - some might even say "golden".

Archived