Montrose v Dumbarton

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching us win away is quite nice imo. 

Solid enough performance too, Montrose looked a good team when they knocked the ball about on the ground (albeit with absolutely no cutting edge), but at 0-2 and 1-3 they seemed to turn into us under Aitken and just launched the ball into the channels.

As for us, Dom Thomas is still a class above, and I thought Calum Gallagher put in a really good shift again. Sure his first touch can drive you mad, but he was involved (I think) in all three goals, and his unselfish running plays a massive part in creating space for guys like Thomas, Bobby Barr and Ross Forbes.

McLean and Mango looked solid enough together at centre-back, and both full-backs were good again. I'm still not fully convinced by Hutton and Carsy together in central-midfield, but it's the best we've got so I suppose we'll just have to deal with that.

6th in the league. On our best run of form since the Ian Murray glory days, and winning away from home again. Viva la Duffy revolution.

That was a good day. We had a wee wobble just after Montrose scored where we couldn't seem to know what to do with the ball but got through that spell and scored the clincher. Kudos to the Montrose fans who ran the length of the pitch only to see their team miss a penalty [emoji23]

Dumbarton thoroughly deserved the win today on their first half performance (Or our lack of performance)
A couple of ifs and buts for us. If the penalty had gone in - if our keeper hadn't totally fluffed a kick out and passed the ball to the feet of your striker.
When we got it back to 2-1 we looked like the only team likely to score.  The third goal and it's makings seemed to suck the belief out of us and it was basically game over after that.

On our part, we have to get another win to stop the bottom 4/5 sucking us back into a relegation dog fight. 40 points should surely be enough to guarantee league 1 status for next season.
A couple of big games coming up. Brechin away then Stenny at home. 

Maximum points please.

45 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Absolute state of Dillon pulling Mangos hair :lol:

Mango was absolutely seething about that, even at the end he was going mental at him so I had wondered what had happened...but hair pulling never came to mind. What an absolute weirdo :lol:

Absolute state of mango running the full length of the pitch to confront the ref was even better.
He's quite right, those luscious locks are completely off limits. He shouldn't even be touching them nevermind full blown pulling.

Looked like a bit of a meh performance from us but it's the 3 points that matter. It's good to see us being able to grind out wins even when we aren't performing at peak Duffyball levels.

How did McLean get on? Was hard to tell from the highlights.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He's quite right, those luscious locks are completely off limits. He shouldn't even be touching them nevermind full blown pulling.

Looked like a bit of a meh performance from us but it's the 3 points that matter. It's good to see us being able to grind out wins even when we aren't performing at peak Duffyball levels.

How did McLean get on? Was hard to tell from the highlights.

I didn't notice McLean much, which is probably a good thing for a centre-half to be honest. He seemed fine, most of Montrose's threat came down the wings and big Martin Rennie didn't seem to get much out of either him or Mango.

Given he hadn't played for a wee while, and given it was really quite windy at stages, I'd say he can be pretty pleased with how he got on. He'll probably have more challenging afternoons though.

Calum Gallagher's goal is a far better finish in the highlights than I'd thought at the time, great ball in from Ballantyne too. That's 8 goals in 23 starts for him this season, after 7  in 28 last season (with a few of them being on the wing). He's 100% becoming the Colin Nish to DT's Chris Kane, and I'm all for it. It's been a long time (probably since that season tbh) since we had an actual strikeforce who work as a wee unit. Fair play to Duffy and Hagi for that, because it's something Aitken/Faz/Durrant didn't ever seem to manage.

Archived