Montrose v Dumbarton

This week Sons travel to the nicest part of Angus for a crucial six-pointer. The chance to go within a point of Montrose would've seemed almost unthinkable three weeks ago, which shows how far we've come in such a short space of time. To have any chance, we'll need to score first or the Gable Endies will sit in and do their thing. The meetings between the sides this season have all been very close and I don't see this one being any different.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

This week Sons travel to the nicest part of Angus for a crucial six-pointer. 

You really can't stop sticking the knife into these Smokies, can you? :lol:

Montrose are still catchable but if we are to catch them then winning this game is a must. If I'm honest I'd take a point but we're scoring plenty and full of confidence now so hopefully the team believe they can take more than 1 point down the road. A 3-0 win would even out our goal difference, but that's probably quite greedy. All I ask is the team keep up the levels they have in the last 5 weeks, we won't be far away if they do.

2 months ago I was viewing this fixture as a guaranteed loss but I'm feeling a lot more confident we can take something. It will be far from easy but given our form we should be targetting all 3 IMO.

I'd be tempted to stick Carswell back into midfield if we get the McLean deal sorted (nae idea if that one is still a goer) with Forbes moving wide and Gallagher moving back up top. If the McLean deal is off I'd be quite happy to see us sticking with the same team.

This is a huge game for the Mo. Last two weeks have been poor however our home form this season has been pretty good. A win would move us 14 points away from the bottom (assuming the smokies beat Stenny) which would be a big relief.

As mentioned above every game against Dumbarton this season has been tight so don't expect much different. Cammy will of course get a good reception again however I hope he has a poor game. Would still love to see him in a Mo shirt next season.

1 minute ago, GableEnder21 said:

This is a huge game for the Mo. Last two weeks have been poor however our home form this season has been pretty good. A win would move us 14 points away from the bottom (assuming the smokies beat Stenny) which would be a big relief.

As mentioned above every game against Dumbarton this season has been tight so don't expect much different. Cammy will of course get a good reception again however I hope he has a poor game. Would still love to see him in a Mo shirt next season.

Cammy will be in the Championship next season IMO. 

1 minute ago, GableEnder21 said:

I'd say that, unless one of us goes full-time, there's no chance he'll play any part in this fixture at all next season (assuming we are both in the same league). He should be a stick on for a full-time move in the summer - although you guys probably thought that last year.

Out of interest did you ever play him at left-back?

2 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I'd say that, unless one of us goes full-time, there's no chance he'll play any part in this fixture at all next season (assuming we are both in the same league). He should be a stick on for a full-time move in the summer - although you guys probably thought that last year.

Out of interest did you ever play him at left-back?

Yeah? Has he been consistent enough?  Would be chuffed for him because he was always looking for full time football after leaving Utd.

No he always played right wing back for us

7 minutes ago, GableEnder21 said:

Yeah? Has he been consistent enough?  Would be chuffed for him because he was always looking for full time football after leaving Utd.

No he always played right wing back for us

Aye. Whilst our defence has been chopped and changed pretty frequently all season, and with nobody looking up to much, Cammy's been the one consistent positive in the team at the back. Even when things were dire under Aitken he was pretty decent (when he was fit), but he's really upped things since Duffy came in, and since moving him to left-back he's been absolutely superb. Imo he must've been pretty close to picking up MOTM awards against Raith and Arbroath.

I can seem him strolling into the first-team at a decent sized Championship club (Dunfermline, Falkirk, Ayr etc) or maybe even getting a move to a lower half Premiership team (St Mirren/Hamilton would be a nice fit) and doing well in the summer. Above his obvious footballing ability he seems to have a great attitude, and that would make him very, very attractive to a lot of teams.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

2 months ago I was viewing this fixture as a guaranteed loss but I'm feeling a lot more confident we can take something. It will be far from easy but given our form we should be targetting all 3 IMO.

I'd be tempted to stick Carswell back into midfield if we get the McLean deal sorted (nae idea if that one is still a goer) with Forbes moving wide and Gallagher moving back up top. If the McLean deal is off I'd be quite happy to see us sticking with the same team.

In Duffy's post-match interview he seemed to suggest that things were only being held up due to waiting for his international clearance to come through. After previously getting a fine for playing Carsy in the Hibs game, I imagine the club want to avoid any chance of that happening again.

Took a wee look at our record in Angus this season and, well, it makes for some great reading...
Played: 5
Won: 0
Drawn: 0
Lost: 5
Goals for: 3
Goals against: 11
We hadn't won in Stranraer for 16 years until a month ago. We're breaking hoodoos all over the shop now!

Archived