Motherwell v Hamilton Academical

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, up-front disclaimer that i'm not comparing the actual players, but I enjoy watching Turnbull play in the same way that I enjoy watching Bergkamp, Iniesta, Xavi, Zidane etc.
What I mean by that is...aside from the obviously noticable things they do such as goals, assists etc, probably 90% of the most enjoyable things to watch them do is the way they do inconspicuous things in the middle of the park that don't lead to anything other than just moving the ball on. You could have a hugely enjoyable and entertaining highlights video of all those players that has no goals or assists or crosses in it. Just taking the ball and moving it on, but it's the way they do it. Turnbull has that same quality.
Theres a bit in yesterdays highlights package that came after a Hastie chance (I think), where Div receives the ball in the centre of the park and turns to play a further pass inside. Every single other player I've ever seen for Motherwell would have turned and moved it on to the next team-mate, but Turnbull does that thing that you see the type of players I mentioned above do without thinking, where they take a beat in their backlift, just the slightest of pauses, and thats enough for everything to move on a split second, which changes the angles, and he can play the ball the other side of the opposing player than it would have been if that hadnt happened.
I feel like im not explaining this very well so i'll come back and add in the video, but its sooooo insignificant in the grand scheme of things that it doesnt actually make any difference to anything at all. Insignificant to the point where it sounds like I'm talking shite. But it's so satisfying to watch, i've genuinely never seen that level of composure, awareness, instinct and just natural comfort with a football, at our level.
He's the best footballer that's ever played for our club already, and I don't take that lightly.

I talk about this continually around us. His movement, composure and footballing brain is levels above anything I have seen at Fir Park in years.

He plays a step ahead of everyone else. You actually see him looking for the next pass before he even receives the ball. It’s actually obscene.

There was about 4 or 5 occasions yesterday where he just drops his should moves the ball glides from a player and then plays a perfect pass.

Not scared to over boast but he’s a superstar in the making.

I talk about this continually around us. His movement, composure and footballing brain is levels above anything I have seen at Fir Park in years.

He plays a step ahead of everyone else. You actually see him looking for the next pass before he even receives the ball. It’s actually obscene.

There was about 4 or 5 occasions yesterday where he just drops his should moves the ball glides from a player and then plays a perfect pass.

Not scared to over boast but he’s a superstar in the making.

Must have been watching David Wotherspoon. How else could he learn that sublime piece of play?

2 hours ago, ropy said:

He never got a mention on Sportscene 

Aye - despite Hastie being quiet, they managed to concentrate on him so they could mention his move to Rangers....

17 hours ago, Al B said:

So, up-front disclaimer that i'm not comparing the actual players, but I enjoy watching Turnbull play in the same way that I enjoy watching Bergkamp, Iniesta, Xavi, Zidane etc.

What I mean by that is...aside from the obviously noticable things they do such as goals, assists etc, probably 90% of the most enjoyable things to watch them do is the way they do inconspicuous things in the middle of the park that don't lead to anything other than just moving the ball on. You could have a hugely enjoyable and entertaining highlights video of all those players that has no goals or assists or crosses in it. Just taking the ball and moving it on, but it's the way they do it. Turnbull has that same quality.

Theres a bit in yesterdays highlights package that came after a Hastie chance (I think), where Div receives the ball in the centre of the park and turns to play a further pass inside. Every single other player I've ever seen for Motherwell would have turned and moved it on to the next team-mate, but Turnbull does that thing that you see the type of players I mentioned above do without thinking, where they take a beat in their backlift, just the slightest of pauses, and thats enough for everything to move on a split second, which changes the angles, and he can play the ball the other side of the opposing player than it would have been if that hadnt happened.

I feel like im not explaining this very well so i'll come back and add in the video, but its sooooo insignificant in the grand scheme of things that it doesnt actually make any difference to anything at all. Insignificant to the point where it sounds like I'm talking shite. But it's so satisfying to watch, i've genuinely never seen that level of composure, awareness, instinct and just natural comfort with a football, at our level.

He's the best footballer that's ever played for our club already, and I don't take that lightly.

I also love this.

in a similar bracket for me is Gorrin. He does the dirty stuff McHugh does (he's maybe not as good in the air) but he is also so composed on the ball, it's simple passes. The change to Gorrin, Campbell and Turnbull & our run of good form are in everyway linked as much as changing to playing with wingers.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I also love this.

in a similar bracket for me is Gorrin. He does the dirty stuff McHugh does (he's maybe not as good in the air) but he is also so composed on the ball, it's simple passes. The change to Gorrin, Campbell and Turnbull & our run of good form are in everyway linked as much as changing to playing with wingers.

Yes, very true.  He also likes a yellow card as much as McHugh as well!

On 3/10/2019 at 01:11, YassinMoutaouakil said:

that banner is awful on so so many levels

On 3/10/2019 at 09:27, Gianfranco said:

Just watching the highlights. The one two that led to our penalty was class. The composure by Turnbull at the third goal when everyone thought he was shooting was great as well.

The banner is a total minter for the Well Bois.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:05, Swello said:

A badly drawn picture of hamilton giving lincoln city a sook job that managed to simultaneously be both tragic and 1970's levels of homophobic. Your life is far richer if you don't see it....

To be totally honest (and having not seen the banner at the match), I thought it was fucking hilarious. A great effort by the youngsters.

On the match itself, seldom have I seen such a calm, composed, assured 45min performance at top league level at Fir Park in all the years I've been going. Accies were quite literally chasing shadows all over the park. The 2nd half was a bit of a disappointment, but understandable given that the points were secured.

On Turnbull, I really have tried not to get too-hyped up about this boy, but he has the fucking lot.  He never comes off the park dirty, rarely looks flustered, out of breath or sweating...a 19 year old is cutting about for our team and is cruising it.

2 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

To be totally honest (and having not seen the banner at the match), I thought it was fucking hilarious. A great effort by the youngsters.

On the match itself, seldom have I seen such a calm, composed, assured 45min performance at top league level at Fir Park in all the years I've been going. Accies were quite literally chasing shadows all over the park. The 2nd half was a bit of a disappointment, but understandable given that the points were secured.

On Turnbull, I really have tried not to get too-hyped up about this boy, but he has the fucking lot.  He never comes off the park dirty, rarely looks flustered, out of breath or sweating...a 19 year old is cutting about for our team and is cruising it.

I've now seen it through the wonderful medium of Well Fans II and, while I think branding it as homophobic is perhaps a bridge too far, it's a total riddy. An own goal from them which is rare.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with the composure and talent that boy has. He's dropped into our first team and looks more like a veteran number 10 who's played 300 games at a high level, not a kid who popped up in the first team a few months ago and physically dragged us up the table. 

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I've now seen it through the wonderful medium of Well Fans II and, while I think branding it as homophobic is perhaps a bridge too far, it's a total riddy. An own goal from them which is rare.

Its banter between two sets of youths...accies fans dined out on being theiving wee fannies for a few weeks, now ours are pointing and laughing at Accies fans 'special relationship' with fans from Lincoln City. Most Accies fans seem to have seen the funny side of it.

13 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

Its banter between two sets of youths...accies fans dined out on being theiving wee fannies for a few weeks, now ours are pointing and laughing at Accies fans 'special relationship' with fans from Lincoln City. Most Accies fans seem to have seen the funny side of it.

We'll need to agree to disagree on this one. Explaining something away as "banter" doesn't mean it's good. 

16 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

Considering the 'special relationship' certain Motherwell fans have with teams from Norway & the Netherlands, it's a strange thing to have a go at. 

Either way, if we're calling it banter, then it's horrendously shite banter.  Those lads have received a lot of credit for a lot of the work they've done in recent times, highlighting some issues that needed highlighting, but they've overstepped the mark with this one, probably trying to stir up some sort of rivalry that's never really been there. 

1 hour ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10101354

It was shite.

Homophobic? Probably. 

A minter measured in kelvins? Definitely.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Considering the 'special relationship' certain Motherwell fans have with teams from Norway & the Netherlands, it's a strange thing to have a go at. 

Either way, if we're calling it banter, then it's horrendously shite banter.  Those lads have received a lot of credit for a lot of the work they've done in recent times, highlighting some issues that needed highlighting, but they've overstepped the mark with this one, probably trying to stir up some sort of rivalry that's never really been there. 

I don't see it as being a strange thing to have a go at, at all. The Lincoln fans were in attendance, something both they and Accies fans were making a big show of...the 'well youngsters have gave them a bit of ribbing

On 10/03/2019 at 19:33, Al B said:

Tremendous post.

Is he better than Faddy? I know they played in dissimilar positions, and Faddy didn't have the footballing brain. I'm just naturally cautious about hyping up a youngster.

I do find it amazing that Hastie is the in-demand one, when Turnbull is your main man right now.

46 minutes ago, velo army said:

Tremendous post.

Is he better than Faddy? I know they played in dissimilar positions, and Faddy didn't have the footballing brain. I'm just naturally cautious about hyping up a youngster.

I do find it amazing that Hastie is the in-demand one, when Turnbull is your main man right now.

In fairness, Turnbull was (probably) in demand. It just never got as far as "exclusives" in The Sun about who he was signing for.

He was linked with Southampton, Swansea and Leeds earlier in the season but he then signed his new deal and has been clear about wanting to stay at the club and develop before he considers anything else. He was in the press the other day giving Hastie advice, essentially saying he should do the same.

“He’s had very few games and he’s done so well. He’s scoring loads of goals and he’s set up a couple, so I don’t think you could ask for a better start.

“It’s up to him obviously, but what I would say to him is that he should stay here and try to get game-time, get 50 or 100 games under his belt and then see where the next step takes him. He’s still only a young boy. Obviously, [Rangers are] a big club, so it’s just up to him.

“I’ve been trying to tell him to stay, but I don’t know what is happening. It’s up to him, and I’m sure he’ll make the right decision.

Ultimately if someone wanted to come in now and try and get hold of Turnbull then with his new deal and the fact he seems pretty grounded and has essentially said he's no interest in moving at the moment I honestly think you'd be looking at a club record fee for him. In that respect I reckon bigger clubs will be happy just to monitor him over the next few seasons at Fir Park and I'd guess the "big" clubs he'll have in mind as his next move will be in England.

Hastie on the other hand is a punt at around £300k in Development comp. He's got all the attributes in terms of the physical side of the game, tons of potential and he's able to score goals too. Turnbull is by far the better footballer though but the main difference between the two in terms of being "in demand" is that unless he signs a new deal Hastie's available (relatively) on the cheap. I'm pretty sure Rangers wouldn't be showing any interest if his contract wasn't up in the summer.

Archived