Motherwell v Hamilton Academical

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Swello said:

You'll come to see Softy, but you'll stay for Dougie Arnott

Absolutly brilliant.

If you remember the  time, there was a suggestion that Robert Maxwell  died because he got scudded on the head and fell overboard.

Just saying, like.

4 hours ago, Desp said:

Amazing what happens when we actually play football against that lot instead of trying to "win the battle". 

Piece of piss. It really should have been six or seven, but you can't be too hard on the players today. You see it often, once a game is done and dusted at half time, the second half is generally a bit flat. 

Ariyibi was sensational in the first half, Turnbull was just Turnbull and while Hastie and a bit quieter than usual, he still chipped in with a goal. 

Excellent performances from Campbell and A-Rod in the middle of the park as well. 

Really looking forward to Easter Road next week.  With only one defeat in the last nine, we go in with momentum. 

When you compare today to the corresponding fixture back in August it really was night and day. It's just so much better to see us playing football and with our own young players doing the damage, rather than the hoof ball we played that day with Main and Sammon up front getting long balls shelled to their heads. 

I have been following Motherwell for 45 odd years. 

Not sure I can recall such a dramatic transformation in a Motherwell team in one season. 

Dire football / hoof ball has been replaced with proper football.  Yes we won with hoof ball and yes we still make plenty of errors playing football on the deck but it has been a real joy watching the team post Ross County cup game. 

Still think top 6 is a tall order, but the fact we are even having this debate shows how far we have come. 

I heard again today that Hastie is probably offski,  but watching the sublime Turnbull eases the pain a little. 

Just watching the highlights. The one two that led to our penalty was class. The composure by Turnbull at the third goal when everyone thought he was shooting was great as well.

The banner is a total minter for the Well Bois.

Just watching the highlights. The one two that led to our penalty was class. The composure by Turnbull at the third goal when everyone thought he was shooting was great as well.

The banner is a total minter for the Well Bois.

The highlights of this game are just showing how Turnbull is the best player in the division. An absolute baller.

I have completely missed this banner chat. What was it?

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The highlights of this game are just showing how Turnbull is the best player in the division. An absolute baller.

I have completely missed this banner chat. What was it?

A badly drawn picture of hamilton giving lincoln city a sook job that managed to simultaneously be both tragic and 1970's levels of homophobic. Your life is far richer if you don't see it....

Thoroughly enjoyable thumping dished out by the young team. Thank God we're not having to endure the pre xmas crap anymore.  Imagine having come  up from  Lincoln to watch the Accies , bet that wont be happening  again anytime soon:lol:

1 hour ago, Mr Pikey said:

Thoroughly enjoyable thumping dished out by the young team. Thank God we're not having to endure the pre xmas crap anymore.  Imagine having come  up from  Lincoln to watch the Accies , bet that wont be happening  again anytime soon:lol:

They have been coming up for years B.C.(before Canning),during and now after so are used to seeing the occasional hammering.One said to me that yesterday reminded them of Lincoln when Chris Sutton was their Manager.

Like the recent Rangers game,I knew we were onto a loser when I saw the team which only served to ease the Well to a victory which should have been 6 or 7 easily.

Rice  plays  too narrow  with no width and it was as expected Motherwell got plenty joy on the wings.With a midfield lacking any creativity,yesterday showed what has been missing all season.A Crawford,Docherty and Lewis Ferguson are big,big misses  for any team and for me, so is Skondras who used to move the ball up the line fantastically well for a full back.

Having watched Well reserves v Accies the last few years,I always thought it strange that Robinson used to play journeymen rather than some of his talented youngsters.Our current crop are good but are easily 1-2 years away physically from this level at the moment.

When we lose,it is usually hammerings,not narrow defeats and this has been the case under Canning and now Rice and again costs us when it comes to goal difference.

That first half was probably the most one sided half of football I’ve seen at Fir Park in some time. Edinburgh City put up more of a fight when we put 5 past them in the League Cup at the start of the season. If not for some poor finishing and decision making at times, Accies would /should have been on the end of similar if not heavier scoreline. 

He won’t grab the headlines but I thought big Ally Gorrin was tremendous yet again and was the catalyst for a dominant midfield display alongside the rejuvenated Campbell and the ever impressive Turnbull. Get him signed up pronto and we will have an excellent midfield for Robinson to build round next season.

Going forward- watching Aribiyi, Hastie and Turnbull in full flight is great fun. Like watching a different sport from what we were being forced to sit through before the winter break. The defence and Gillespie had the cigars out for the most part but that was their 5th clean sheet in 8 games so kudos to them as well.

Another really enjoyable game yesterday, the only minor gripe was that it wasn’t the 5 or 6 in the end that it undoubtedly could have been had we taken more of our chances. 

So, up-front disclaimer that i'm not comparing the actual players, but I enjoy watching Turnbull play in the same way that I enjoy watching Bergkamp, Iniesta, Xavi, Zidane etc.

What I mean by that is...aside from the obviously noticable things they do such as goals, assists etc, probably 90% of the most enjoyable things to watch them do is the way they do inconspicuous things in the middle of the park that don't lead to anything other than just moving the ball on. You could have a hugely enjoyable and entertaining highlights video of all those players that has no goals or assists or crosses in it. Just taking the ball and moving it on, but it's the way they do it. Turnbull has that same quality.

Theres a bit in yesterdays highlights package that came after a Hastie chance (I think), where Div receives the ball in the centre of the park and turns to play a further pass inside. Every single other player I've ever seen for Motherwell would have turned and moved it on to the next team-mate, but Turnbull does that thing that you see the type of players I mentioned above do without thinking, where they take a beat in their backlift, just the slightest of pauses, and thats enough for everything to move on a split second, which changes the angles, and he can play the ball the other side of the opposing player than it would have been if that hadnt happened.

I feel like im not explaining this very well so i'll come back and add in the video, but its sooooo insignificant in the grand scheme of things that it doesnt actually make any difference to anything at all. Insignificant to the point where it sounds like I'm talking shite. But it's so satisfying to watch, i've genuinely never seen that level of composure, awareness, instinct and just natural comfort with a football, at our level.

He's the best footballer that's ever played for our club already, and I don't take that lightly.

13 hours ago, Al B said:

So, up-front disclaimer that i'm not comparing the actual players, but I enjoy watching Turnbull play in the same way that I enjoy watching Bergkamp, Iniesta, Xavi, Zidane etc.

What I mean by that is...aside from the obviously noticable things they do such as goals, assists etc, probably 90% of the most enjoyable things to watch them do is the way they do inconspicuous things in the middle of the park that don't lead to anything other than just moving the ball on. You could have a hugely enjoyable and entertaining highlights video of all those players that has no goals or assists or crosses in it. Just taking the ball and moving it on, but it's the way they do it. Turnbull has that same quality.

Theres a bit in yesterdays highlights package that came after a Hastie chance (I think), where Div receives the ball in the centre of the park and turns to play a further pass inside. Every single other player I've ever seen for Motherwell would have turned and moved it on to the next team-mate, but Turnbull does that thing that you see the type of players I mentioned above do without thinking, where they take a beat in their backlift, just the slightest of pauses, and thats enough for everything to move on a split second, which changes the angles, and he can play the ball the other side of the opposing player than it would have been if that hadnt happened.

I feel like im not explaining this very well so i'll come back and add in the video, but its sooooo insignificant in the grand scheme of things that it doesnt actually make any difference to anything at all. Insignificant to the point where it sounds like I'm talking shite. But it's so satisfying to watch, i've genuinely never seen that level of composure, awareness, instinct and just natural comfort with a football, at our level.

He's the best footballer that's ever played for our club already, and I don't take that lightly.

Fucking YES! to this post...

Especially the paragraph in bold because watching it back it absolutely stood out as why he's #thedifference. It's subtle and nuanced and fucking ridiculous that a 19 year old is cutting about our midfield running the show like that.

giphy.gif

Thats exactly it.

Look at the position of the whole game when he receives the ball. Then look at the position of the game a second later....LITERALLY a second. And it's all down to that beat.

It's so subtle and you can't teach it or coach it into anyone. Many people think that a player "looking like he has all the time in the world" means being patient and not rushing, but it doesn't...that's just taking your time. THIS is what it means when a player looks like he has all the time in the world...it's not taking time, it's owning time and making it do the work for you. Understanding how much the position of the game can develop in a fraction of a second, and waiting for that.

Sorry, I get all geeky about this kinda stuff, and as much as we've had great players that have been enjoyable to watch, i've never been able to talk about this at our club before, he's providing examples of it in double figures every game.

19 minutes ago, Al B said:

Thats exactly it.

Look at the position of the whole game when he receives the ball. Then look at the position of the game a second later....LITERALLY a second. And it's all down to that beat.

It's so subtle and you can't teach it or coach it into anyone. Many people think that a player "looking like he has all the time in the world" means being patient and not rushing, but it doesn't...that's just taking your time. THIS is what it means when a player looks like he has all the time in the world...it's not taking time, it's owning time and making it do the work for you. Understanding how much the position of the game can develop in a fraction of a second, and waiting for that.

Sorry, I get all geeky about this kinda stuff, and as much as we've had great players that have been enjoyable to watch, i've never been able to talk about this at our club before.

100%. I knew exactly the moment you were talking about as I was reading your post.

His involvement in the build up to Cadden's goal against St Mirren is a similar sort of quality. Actually controlling the tempo of the game.  I think it was Robinson who described him as a "continental" player and he's fucking nailed it with that.

giphy.gif

I've heard him described in 3 other ways that also nailed it:

It's like watching The Matrix.

It's like watching someone play Fifa on the wrong difficulty level.

It's like watching a 25 year old making up the numbers in his 14 year old brothers game of fives.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

He never got a mention on Sportscene 

There's no-one on there that would have the slightest clue what we're talking about.

Archived